• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Want the Old Atlus Back...

Don't get me wrong... I still love modern day Atlus aka The Persona People, but I feel like they have forgotten about all the other MegaTen series and all they do is release 1 Persona game per generation twice. I was just thinking about how great the PS2 era was for them. I mean they basically conned Microsoft into paying for the graphics engine for SMT: Nine and then turned around and released 7 MegaTen exclusive games on the PS2. Now all we get are stupid ass dancing games! I want them to remake Digital Devil Saga... use the P5 engine and put both chapters into one, I would but it again. Do the same thing for Persona 2 and Devil Summoner. Persona 3: FES is already due for a remake. I'm not going to tell them to touch SMT3 because that game is already pretty much perfect, but where the hell is SMT5? Also can we play as adults again in a Persona game?

Last edited:

Fbh

To be fair most devs have had to slow down their output as production values increase, and we did get SMTIV in between Persona 4 and 5.
Also they announced SMTV quite some time ago and we'll probably get it before Persona 6.

I'm actually kind of glad they still take the time and money to work on SMT. Persona seems to be so much more popular that it would probably make more financial sense to focus on that franchise

My introduction to Atlas was Persona 5 so I only know "new Atlus," or whatever. But Persona 5 rocked my world, blew me away.

I have been meaning to check out SMT at some point, I don't quite know where to start.

I also hear that Persona 4 is even better than Persona 5
Call me biased (avatar) but it really is imo. Persona 5 kinda disappointed me in some ways, and especially when it came to the protag and co. Cast in persona 5 didn't really seem like group of close friends to me, unlike Persona 4 (or even 3). I couldn't shake off that feeling while playing that P5 characters lack chemistry. Maybe one day I'll come back and change my mind but...

Last edited:
Although I like how they made Career Soft make Devil Survivor, ATLUS should now let them make Growlanser games again.

Give the team two separate projects, a Sub-Series SMT and Growlanser.

That is all I ask.

SEGA now have a Space Opera RPG, a School/Demon Sim JRPG, a Political RPG and a War RPG. They are effectively a JRPG powerhouse if they let their RPG teams make those games once every 3 years!!!

I enjoyed Apocolypse as well despite the Final Dungeon being so so dumb.

Last edited:

drganon

My introduction to Atlas was Persona 5 so I only know "new Atlus," or whatever. But Persona 5 rocked my world, blew me away.

I have been meaning to check out SMT at some point, I don't quite know where to start.

From a gameplay perspective I liked 5 better, but find 4 and 5 are about equal when it comes to characters and setting. 3 is the roughest to go back to though.

teezzy

Banned
The whole appeal of SMT/Persona for me are the demons and the grim thematic nature. All the high school drama crap makes me roll my eyes.

I still have SMT Nocturne, Persona 2, and both Digital Devil Saga games in my collection just waiting to be played.

Persona 3 and SMT IV were both awesome though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeaaaah, PS2-era Atlus was pretty much infallible. They were good on the DS, too. It was once we hit the 3DS that it was basically just "here's a bunch of re-releases and maybe Persona 5 at some point in the next decade." It's only gotten worse since then.

Though I thought P5 was delightful.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Catherine
Persona 5
Shin Megami Tensei V

I see what you meen with there current output, which is over a decade and then you got Shin Megami Tensei V which really should have a Playstation/Xbox One release

Hopefully much like P4 back then Persona 6 won't take ages to make since they have engine done and a lot of personas have assets for PS4 made.

Also would be nice it they made switch ports of their older Nintendo platforms games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The only remake I would take from them is Nocturne. Other than that gimme new games.
That game DOES NOT need "remake" simple remaster is enough, that game's visuals aged like fine wine.

I still like Atlus for Persona and new IP like Catherine but they need to give some love to SMT series.

Banned
I want new raidou game, devil survivor game, fresh IP like dds that they could make, also smt this and smt those

not persona dancing game or remaster

Reactions: Isa

Manus

That game DOES NOT need "remake" simple remaster is enough, that game's visuals aged like fine wine.

I still like Atlus for Persona and new IP like Catherine but they need to give some love to SMT series.

That's what I mean. Give me something so I don't have to keep my PS3 hooked up to play it.

NahaNago

I'd like another digital devli game as well. I really should try persona but the whole dating thing turned me off from them.

GreenAlien

I want the new Atlus, the one that makes ports for PC.

Edit: my impulse control failed, sorry :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

kunonabi

They used to make a much wider variety of stuff and at a much higher quality than what we get now. It's a shame but just how it is for the industry in general. Thier localization team slathering their politics over everything doesnt really help either.

Kayoba

I'm in the same boat, I only played Persona 5 and haven't played any of their older games.

Initially I wasn't interested in Persona 5, until a former colleague recommended the game. I bought the game with zero expectations when it was on sale and I ended up loving the game.

Mokus

They were really active on the 3DS with the Etrian series and a couple of SMT remasters and remakes (+10 games!). And there is a game on the Wii U, later being ported to the Switch. All well received by Atlus fans.

Atlus never left but the times have changed the old atlus "ps2 era" is just that the ps2 era it didnt take much money to make and publish a game but times have changed since there ps2 games.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nine - xbox
Catherine - ps3,xbox 360, pc
Persona 3 Portable
- psp
Trauma Team - wii
Persona 2: Innocent Sin - psp
Persona 4 Golden - ps vita
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 -3ds
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked -3ds
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
-3ds
Shin Megami Tensei IV -3ds
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl -3ds
Dragon's Crown -ps3, ps vita
Persona 4 Arena -xbox 360,ps3
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - xbox 360, ps3
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth -3ds
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
-3ds
Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker -3ds
Persona 4: Dancing All Night - ps vita
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
-wiiu,switch
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse -3ds
Persona 5 -ps3,ps4
Dragon's Crown Pro -ps4
Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight -ps vita,ps4
Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight -ps vita,ps4
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth -3ds
Catherine: Full Body -ps4,switch
Persona 5 Royal -ps4

The amout of games they made never slowed down if at all its just that making games cost way way more it was easy to make games for the 3ds since it was still sub HD and it was also easy for them to make games for the Wiiu,3ds and xbox 360 since MS and Nintendo ponyed up the money sony barely covers 30% of the dev cost for 90% of atlus's games. And its not just atlus look at FF7R a timed exclusive same with the Yakuza series and Kingdomhearts and Nier. its just how it is im sure we wont see any atlus games on the ps5 till 20204 at the earliest. SMT 5 is running on a new engine and hardware we may get it some time next year or the year after. I doubt we will get a Adult only themed persona game again personally that sounds terrible unless you want the JP version of Red dead Redemption 2.

Last edited:
I want a Digital Devil Saga re-imagining.

and would be be too much to fucking ask if Atlas would acquire rights to Blame!

that would print money

Mokus

Atlus never left but the times have changed the old atlus "ps2 era" is just that the ps2 era it didnt take much money to make and publish a game but times have changed since there ps2 games.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nine - xbox
Catherine - ps3,xbox 360, pc
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 -3ds
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked -3ds
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
-3ds
Shin Megami Tensei IV -3ds
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl -3ds
Dragon's Crown -ps3, ps vita
Persona 4 Arena -xbox 360,ps3
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - xbox 360, ps3
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth -3ds
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
-3ds
Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker -3ds
Persona 4: Dancing All Night - ps vita
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
-wiiu,switch
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse -3ds
Persona 5 -ps3,ps4
Dragon's Crown Pro -ps4
Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight -ps vita,ps4
Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight -ps vita,ps4
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth -3ds
Catherine: Full Body -ps4,switch
Persona 5 Royal -ps4

The amout of games they made never slowed down if at all its just that making games cost way way more it was easy to make games for the 3ds since it was still sub HD and it was also easy for them to make games for the Wiiu,3ds and xbox 360 since MS and Nintendo ponyed up the money sony barely covers 30% of the dev cost for 90% of atlus's games. And its not just atlus look at FF7R a timed exclusive same with the Yakuza series and Kingdomhearts and Nier. its just how it is im sure we wont see any atlus games on the ps5 till 20204 at the earliest. SMT 5 is running on a new engine and hardware we may get it some time next year or the year after. I doubt we will get a Adult only themed persona game again personally that sounds terrible unless you want the JP version of Red dead Redemption 2.
Wow, you put some effort into this. But you missed out some Etrian games. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Post-Apocalyptic Tokyo with demons isn't hot anymore, Millenials wanna experience being a chad in high school since they were no doubt the betas. Which is why Persona sells so well, literal second chance power fantasy.

Shouta

Someone already touched upon it but the cost of making games has gone up and thus they had to change their output to adjust to that. They went 3DS for a lot of stuff and then spent a bit of time on various ventures on consoles. That was also prior to Persona 3 becoming a breakout hit for them and they were looking for their cash cow. They found it and ran with the ball.

It would be interesting to see a new off-shoot using say Persona assets like Digital Devil Saga and Raidou used Nocturne's.

Naibel

I want old Atlus back like I want old Rockstar and old Naughty Dog back. But sadly, each of them are long long gone.

Dev costs skyrocketed, some key creatives left the company (Kaneko, Okada), Sega bought them, and of course Persona 4 & 5 happened and became massive cash-cows. Can't blame them, Atlus wasn't in the best financial position prior to P4, and they were in dire need of a game that actually sells. So milking these cows could be seen as something of a reward after all those years of hardships.

But hey, they're not gonna milk the Persona 5 cow forever. After P5 Scramble, what are they gonna come up with ? Where's Project Re:Fantasy ? Where's SMT V ? What about Persona 6 with an all-new team now that Hashino's in Studio Zero ?

Even though the diversity and productivity of PS2-era Atlus is no more, I fully expect Atlus to come up with some interesting stuff in the next few years. I hope...

Don't disappoint me, 'Lus.

Wow, you put some effort into this. But you missed out some Etrian games. :messenger_winking_tongue:
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: Thank you yea I missed a bunch the games I listed were ones that got a pal and NTS release. If I added in JP only as well the list would be massive since they released alot games for the arcade,mobile phones and other system that only got released and made in japan.

Pallas

I feel you OP, I love PS1 era Atlus, Persona 1-2, Brigandine, Kartia, Thousand Arms(personal Atlus favorite)

Someone already touched upon it but the cost of making games has gone up and thus they had to change their output to adjust to that. They went 3DS for a lot of stuff and then spent a bit of time on various ventures on consoles. That was also prior to Persona 3 becoming a breakout hit for them and they were looking for their cash cow. They found it and ran with the ball.

It would be interesting to see a new off-shoot using say Persona assets like Digital Devil Saga and Raidou used Nocturne's.
Do to funding most of their games were Handheld only or arcade or mobile only for awhile. The entire ps3 console cycle went without a single Persona or shin megami game half of it was do to sony not giving them much of anythime to work with. Them making P4 Golden for the vita was way way cheaper in the long run then them making it for the ps3. At the same time they were working on making a new engine which is how the game Catherine came to be. Now that dev time and cost has gone up there output of games is going to slow down even in 09 they were still making games for last gen hardware like the ps2,Gamecube,DS and psp.

I want old Atlus back like I want old Rockstar and old Naughty Dog back. But sadly, each of them are long long gone.

Dev costs skyrocketed, some key creatives left the company (Kaneko, Okada), Sega bought them, and of course Persona 4 & 5 happened and became massive cash-cows. Can't blame them, Atlus wasn't in the best financial position prior to P4, and they were in dire need of a game that actually sells. So milking these cows could be seen as something of a reward after all those years of hardships.

But hey, they're not gonna milk the Persona 5 cow forever. After P5 Scramble, what are they gonna come up with ? Where's Project Re:Fantasy ? Where's SMT V ? What about Persona 6 with an all-new team now that Hashino's in Studio Zero ?

Even though the diversity and productivity of PS2-era Atlus is no more, I fully expect Atlus to come up with some interesting stuff in the next few years. I hope...

Don't disappoint me, 'Lus.
SMT would be the only game that has a chance of coming out soon. RE fantasy and P6 arent coming out for awhile and either way depending on when those games launch they will more than likely be cross-gen with ps4 like how P5 was with ps3.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I would argue it really should get a remake, but a remake ala Shadow of the Colossus, Crash, or Spyro. Fix up some of the issues with its controls, add some simple quality of life additions, and make the environments a bit more interesting to traverse through. As much as I love the game, its dungeon design is tedious, repetitive, and forgettable.

Xeaker

Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne were such good RPGs. It's so sad those glorious PS1 and PS2 times are gone forever.

Paltheos

Edit: Open spoilers for P3-5 in this post

Call me biased (avatar) but it really is imo. Persona 5 kinda disappointed me in some ways, and especially when it came to the protag and co. Cast in persona 5 didn't really seem like group of close friends to me, unlike Persona 4 (or even 3). I couldn't shake off that feeling while playing that P5 characters lack chemistry. Maybe one day I'll come back and change my mind but...

Friendship isn't the problem. The cast of P3 really aren't friends either - Remember that a random PC greeting you every day when you come back to the dorm is a thing in that game. Everyone in that game sorta does their own thing. The difference is that their cast is a cohesive group. They're the SEES, and they deal with the threats that appear every new moon and investigate the Tartarus in hopes of uncovering the mystery of the Dark Hour. The P5 cast... largely fucks around, and their goals are mostly shallow and predictable.

P5's concept is much more active than the past two games' which were much more passive for their unknown forces and mystery plots. They're the Phantom Thieves of Hearts here to bring justice to a world by stealing people's distorted desires. They're sharp, precise, and deliberate, and the game's presentation backs this up - breaking chains, throwing knives, stylishly sliding and swinging portraits in menus, jumping and bounding in dungeons. The story does not. They fumble around on selection of their targets, bicker over stupid shit (that stupid Ryuji/Morgana feud that sucks up a week in-game), and are nearly as often forced into picking targets by a third party as they do pick one themselves (3 of the game's 7 main scenarios feature them picking a target in part due to blackmail).

There are some issues the scenario writers seem to have identified but don't handle as well as in previous iterations. In particular, characters introduced late into the game tend to be less memorable than their earlier ones so they need to be made to stand out. P3 largely sidesteps this issue by injuring or forcing to the sideline some of the major players and introducing increasingly whacky characters the later on you go - a kid, a dog, a goddamn robot - to varying degrees of success (most people hate Ken, and rightfully so, but Koromaru is inoffensive fun, and Aigis is... just wonderfully woven in the later you go). P4 adds the extra Mitsuo dungeon in after getting Rise, largely to pad out the playtime, but I think most people are onboard with it since the cast get along so well. P4 also introduces the last PC, Naoto, in earlier cutscenes to ease her into the team later and makes her tremendously useful to help along the investigation and have her stand out more. In P5, Haru just... appears. She's just there and your team handles her problem in particular because why the hell not. This is a really common complaint already though and I don't think much else needs to be said than put it next to the other games.

Anyway, what I'm getting to here is that the writers in P5 seem to have identified to some degree that newer characters need to stand out more. Each new addition to the team is... generally more useful than the last. Yusuke's a character alright but marginally smarter than Ryuji and Ann. Makoto's actually smart, and Futaba is implausibly technically proficient. Haru's existence kinda throws a wrench into the model but I think she's more an outlier - the design team wanted another dungeon in the 2nd act, and the writers just threw up their hands and said 'fuck it' - Her presentation in-game is pretty consistent with that imo.

There's the localization too. It's spotty, maybe understandably so when I consider the monster script size to this game (and props to Atlus for actually going back in Royal and rewriting and even rerecording some lines), but that doesn't change that it's spotty. The shit intro with Sojiro was enough to turn me off of vanilla P5. Like, stinker lines like "You were expelled once before. To think you'd apply somewhere else" are just fucking awful and do nothing for me an English speaker, except maybe imply Sojiro is insane which is clearly not what the scene's framing is going for.

Last edited:

Shouta

Nocturne holds up really well. I played the Maniax Chronicle Edition, the one that has Raidou instead of Dante, a few years back and it's fantastic. They could just port it or maybe do some upscaling on it and it'd be perfect.

On the P5 cast, it's probably my favorite of the Persona games. There's a very down to Earth chemistry to how they act with each other that is extremely comfy and realistic. This is in contrast to Persona 3 where they weren't friends and Persona 4 where they were anime as fuck. Granted, this might not have come across with the very spotty initial localization though. A lot of nuance was mangled in the initial release from what I saw.

Nocturne holds up really well. I played the Maniax Chronicle Edition, the one that has Raidou instead of Dante, a few years back and it's fantastic. They could just port it or maybe do some upscaling on it and it'd be perfect.

On the P5 cast, it's probably my favorite of the Persona games. There's a very down to Earth chemistry to how they act with each other that is extremely comfy and realistic. This is in contrast to Persona 3 where they weren't friends and Persona 4 where they were anime as fuck. Granted, this might not have come across with the very spotty initial localization though. A lot of nuance was mangled in the initial release from what I saw.

I've mentioned it in another thread but I have no idea why they won't do a Nocturne, DDS remaster when it's such a slam dunk. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

The visual art style with the cel shaded graphics have held up extremely well over the years.

Take off the nostalgia google off OP, i love the PS2 era Atlus games but let's not kid ourselves the dungeons designs and random encounters are utter ass and i REALLY don't want to go back to the samey boring dungeons.

Here's the thing Nocturne was my introduction to SMT and Atlus but simply put both SMTIV and SMTIV-A are better simply because there's no random encounters, a much better diffculty curve with little to no bullshit deaths, even though Nocturne is more visually stimulating

P5 brought A LOT of improvents to the SMT formula and dungeons and most of the hate i feel is from those who just resent it's popularity, it's faults are few especially with the P5R fixing some of the dungeons, it's undoubtly THE BEST RPG Atlus has released so far.

I just hope they learn from it for SMTV and don't go cheap on the multiple paths and dungeons/battle system/presentation.

I'd take fewer high quality games over 5 mid quality/budget ones.

Edit: one more thing i don't want old Atlus back no dual audio was a spit in the face and to think it only took them 10 years to finally put on disk! Fucking hell i waited till Vita was hacked to finally play P4G with Japanese audio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom