• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to live in Japan for a year, anyone here with experience?

Porcile

This argument is as useless as all those Japanese learning videos on YouTube that don't actually teach any Japanese. Close your MattvsJapan and Dogen tabs and actually learn something practical in a class or by yourself. After you get some knowledge of Japanese you'll realise how dumb it is watching videos like that and how they are just pandering to an audience of weaboos and people who think they want to learn something but don't put in the real hard work to learn it.

The amazing thing is people are dumb enough to pay them on Patreon to teach them nothing. That's a damn good hustle to be fair.

Sakura

Not heading to Japan anytime soon. Where is a good place to learn Japanese? Are online sites good or is it better to to a classroom?
Google Japanese grammar and you'll find tons of sites going over the grammar (Japanese grammar is honestly pretty easy).
Use anki to remember kanji and vocab.
Then just lots of anime, manga, visual novels, etc. Look up words and sentence structures you don't understand. Eventually you'll get it. This is how I got to N1 level.

K1Expwy

There's so much media and resources online to learn Japanese and other languages. It certainly lacks the focus (and is outweighed by non-committal "beginner" lessons that aren't useful) of a formal classroom, but the tools are nonetheless available, and virtually all for free. Which can supplement a language course anyway. Darn kids these days have it easier than I did. Even 2000s Internet wasn't as resourceful as this decade.

Finding out about Heisig blew the doors open for me years ago. There's plenty to criticize about it, but I owe everything to learning that method. "Whatever it takes."

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
It is, tons of manga and anime is never translated because they are too niche, even on the internet. And you only get a chance to see it if you can go deep in the Japanese forums.

I feel sad when I browse manga titles in mangaupdates and see that there is no scanlation for many or at the best case just a few chapters. But on the other hand are all digitally scanned? Arent there many that are out of print too?

Antoon

Banned
I feel sad when I browse manga titles in mangaupdates and see that there is no scanlation for many or at the best case just a few chapters. But on the other hand are all digitally scanned? Arent there many that are out of print too?
as far as I know, there is only scanned online translation for manga post-2000, but the 100000 of manga series before that are still unknown to pretty much everyone in the West.

Definitely need money. Japanese language is honestly almost a requirement too. Just to set some expectations if you are still planning or not: Japan is not as good as you probably think it will be. However, it's much better in other ways you won't expect. I probably wouldn't live there again, but it was a fantastic place and lovely people.

ROMhack

Yeah Japan strikes me as a bad place to live as a foreigner. People online tend to say that working in Korea or Taiwan is a better option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom