• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wanted a boy... but it gave me lemon-line... I mean a girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just found out that the baby my wife and I will be having in January is a girl. This is very dissapointing for me, because I wanted a boy very badly. When she told me it was a girl, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. I know she could hear the dissapointment in my voice even though I tried to play cool. All I wanna do is make this feeling go away and somehow be excited about having a girl.

I had dreams of rough housing with my child and teaching it things I can relate to, like action movies, cartoons and games, cars and cool Transformer toys. Now I'm looking at Barbies, stuffed animals and the equivelant of Justin Bieber shit. Selfish me, but I don't want a kid that I can't relate to. My wife was a tomboy growing up and mentioned that if it was a girl that she would do her best to prevent having a prissy little princess. Teach her about bugs and fishing, so that helps a little.

So far, all signs point to a healthy baby and I am very greatful for that and I'm sure things will sink in, in a few days. Hopefully, I'll be used to the idea of a girl. I do feel bad for the way I feel and will do my best to smile and show excitment when I get home to my wife in an hour. So has anybody here gone through this and what are some advantages of having a girl over a boy?

RevDM

Banned
worlds_greatest_dad_mug-p1680244388307586642oqsw_400.jpg

Heres the advice I'm going to give you, ask the mods to delete this thread. You'll be happy it doesn't exist in a couple years.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hear that fathers fall in love with their children when they're born so the disappointment will probably vanish.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
First post is perfecto.

Dark Octave said:
I had dreams of rough housing with my child and teaching it things I can relate to, like action movies, cartoons and games, cars and cool Transformer toys. Now I'm looking at Barbies, stuffed animals and the equivelant of Justin Bieber shit. Selfish me, but I don't want a kid that I can't relate to.
Who thinks that this has anything to do with the gender of your child? Why can't you relate to a little girl?

Dude, when that girl is born she'll be the most important thing in your life and any wishes you has for a boy will be washed away. It won't make a damn bit of difference when you look into her eyes.

ckohler

Dark Octave said:
I had dreams of rough housing with my child and teaching it things I can relate to, like action movies, cartoons and games, cars and cool Transformer toys.

How is any of that male-gender exclusive?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Not even born and you are already reducing your kids to stereotypes. Just let them grow up and become their own person. You will love them and be proud of them no matter how similar or different they are from you.

Guevara

AkuMifune said:
lol.

Think about it this way, your wife has a friend she can take shopping so you can be left alone to play more games.
or, your wife and your daughter will gang up on you in every argument for the next 18 years, maybe more

Gilgamesh

wienke said:
I hear that fathers fall in love with their children when they're born so the disappointment will probably vanish.
I hear that werewolves also fall in love with children when they're born.

a woman i know wanted a boy so fucking bad they made 7 consecutive girls the eight child finally was a boy. man she was happy after that.

i actually would prefer a girl.

From my experience your baby girl will take care of parents much better than boys. Teach her to be the best and do not treat her with typical gender created glass. Congratualtions. A girl is blessing.

Are you guys only going to have one child? If not, what's the rush? I'm sure it's a bit of a disappointment because you've been imagining doing all those things with your son and now it didn't quite pan out the way you expected. But I can tell you guys are going to be fine and that you'll be a fine parent. Shitty parents don't imagine and look forward to the time spend they'll spend with their children. Congrats!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
RevDM said:
worlds_greatest_dad_mug-p1680244388307586642oqsw_400.jpg

Heres the advice I'm going to give you, ask the mods to delete this thread. You'll be happy it doesn't exist in a couple years.

Wow! So true and I don't even have a kid.

Sneds

Dark Octave said:
I had dreams of rough housing with my child and teaching it things I can relate to, like action movies, cartoons and games, cars and cool Transformer toys. Now I'm looking at Barbies, stuffed animals and the equivelant of Justin Bieber shit. Selfish me, but I don't want a kid that I can't relate to.

Girls can like action movies, cartoons, games, cars and cool toys. You're the one bringing her up. If you don't want her playing with Barbies then don't buy them.

devenger

Hey, straighten up.

My daughter is 2 and a half. I was shocked when she naturally gravitated to princess stuff. I thought, surely that's programmed, and I'm not going to do it. But, she liked it, so I watched Snow White, Cinderella, etc with her. Shook my head, and said well, Im not going to push her towards stuff I like.

Now, she's getting into Monsters, Inc and the Incredibles, and loves anything spooky or Halloween. The princess stuff is much more in the background.

She also found my superhero toy stash and raided it. Iron Man and Flash have parties all the time with Elmo and Barbie.

You're going to love your baby girl, and she can still be rough housed and noogied.

SolKane

Kids will learn how to do and enjoy new things based on the environment you expose them to. There's nothing preventing you from watching action movies, playing video games, sports or rough housing with your daughter besides your own preconceived notions of gender. Think of your baby as a sociological experiment waiting to happen, the possibilities are endless!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You'll love the kid when it's born.

If you still have any disappointment, bottle it up and release it on the first boy she brings home. Remember how much fun Al Bundy had with Kelly's boyfriends?

The mods should archive this thread, make the OP non-editable and make it your tag.

Also, you will live for that kid the second it first leaves the womb.

Vagabundo

We both thought that we were having a boy. We didn't get the sex until the baby actually came,, it was a girl. It was a weird feeling because I had thought she was a he for so long, but once they are here it doesn't matter one bit. They are you kid and they are awesome.

Trust me, it won't matter one bot.

Dark Octave said:
So I just found out that the baby my wife and I will be having in January is a girl. This is very dissapointing for me, because I wanted a boy very badly. When she told me it was a girl, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. I know she could hear the dissapointment in my voice even though I tried to play cool. All I wanna do is make this feeling go away and somehow be excited about having a girl.

I had dreams of rough housing with my child and teaching it things I can relate to, like action movies, cartoons and games, cars and cool Transformer toys. Now I'm looking at Barbies, stuffed animals and the equivelant of Justin Bieber shit. Selfish me, but I don't want a kid that I can't relate to. My wife was a tomboy growing up and mentioned that if it was a girl that she would do her best to prevent having a prissy little princess. Teach her about bugs and fishing, so that helps a little.

So far, all signs point to a healthy baby and I am very greatful for that and I'm sure things will sink in, in a few days. Hopefully, I'll be used to the idea of a girl. I do feel bad for the way I feel and will do my best to smile and show excitment when I get home to my wife in an hour. So has anybody here gone through this and what are some advantages of having a girl over a boy?

This is all you should be thankful for, Dark Octave.

My son was born at 24 weeks and had a rough time through the first couple of years of his life. He's gonna be 4 next February and he's doing great considering all the crap he went through.

You're gonna kick yourself later on for this. Once you see your kid for the first time, things will change. And who's to say you can't do all those things you listed with your daughter?

Health is wealth, man.

Suairyu

Banned
Solution: stop conflating gender with sex (and social activities with gender) and you will be all set to teach her the macho ways of machodom.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sneds said:
Girls can like action movies, cartoons, games, cars and cool toys. You're the one bringing her up. If you don't want her playing with Barbies then don't buy them.
All he has to do is decorate her room in Commando posters and then he can relate to the awsomeness that is Arnold with his own daughter.

arnolddeer.gif

TheMan

You might be disappointed now, but chin up, mon frere. I promise you won't care about her gender when you see your kid for the first time. Besides, as others have said, you can teach her to play however you like, whether it be barbies or more masculine toys.

Plus, when she's old enough you can have TWO ladies around the house making you dinner and doing the dishes.

3N16MA

Banned
Dark Octave said:

Quote before OP could edit. You will feel like shit once she is born.

leadbelly

Banned
Suairyu said:
Solution: stop conflating gender with sex (and social activities with gender) and you will be all set to teach her the macho ways of machodom.

I don't think it quite works that way. Despite all these views on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom