• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was sexually assaulted

Hey guys, this is a pretty weird thread for me to be making, and it may not be entirely appropriate, but i've recently gone through something and i'm slowly trying to work it out in my head. I guess in some strange way I feel like writing about it and trying to explain my feelings to other people might help me process what happened and how it has affected me in the long term.

I can't say what happened to me was exactly dramatic, it wasn't like some horrific scene from a movie, but it was a subtle betrayal of my trust and a complete disregard for the social contract, and was an entirely dehumanizing experience.

Last Saturday I met up with a guy through Grindr, something i've done a few times in the past I will admit, and I prepared to meet him at his home. He asked me if I had sex without a Condom, and I gave a clear statement: "No. I only do that with people I trust and am dating". "Okay" he says. So I head over there and I watch him put it on after asking him again to wear one. He turns off the lights and we get started. At some point he decided to take it off. I wasn't able to see this, as my back was turned away from him, and he continued.

After it was done I had realized what had happened, and I was absolutely horrified.

He seemed to act bewildered, and he played dumb. I asked him what the hell he was thinking. "I told you No on Grindr." "I told you to put it on and I watched you do it." "Was I supposed to watch the entire time to see if you'd take it off in a dark room while my back is turned?"

"No" he says. "I've completely betrayed your trust, I wasn't thinking straight, you have every right... ect".

At this point i'm completely scared, bewildered, and disgusted in myself.

I went through so many emotions and thoughts. "Is it that big a deal"? "I used to have sex like that all the time when I was younger and nothing ever came of it." "Was I not clear enough to him?" "Maybe he just lost himself to the moment." "Maybe it's my fault for putting myself into that situation."

I'd go back and forth between trying to understand his side of it and being so completely angry at him several times throughout the day. Finally I generally settled at anger. I called an Assault Line, I asked them what I could do about this. I absolutely refused to let him get away with it. I asked if having his recorded voice admitting to it would allow me to press charges. "No, because you could be holding a gun to his head to make him say it."

Ultimately, despite KNOWING without a doubt that he did this to me, i'm completely powerless to do anything about it. He gets to get away with it, and I have to sit here for the next 7 weeks and wonder if i'm okay, all while learning a new job and trying to establish a relationship with my new coworkers.

It's different as a man. I'm physically powerful, i'm in good shape. I know where he is. I could go over there and do something about this.

But would that make me any better than him? With tears in my eyes as I type this, would that make anything better? No.

He took something away from me that night, but it won't be my humanity. I refuse to allow him to pull me down to his level. I'm better than him. Our entire society was built on us being better than that.

This whole thing has given me a new perspective. To be honest I already had some inkling of it before, I've seen the way my interactions with my coworkers change when I tell them i'm gay. I'm not exactly effeminate, but I am very gentle by nature, and I suspect when people know this they tend to think of me differently, listen to the things I say a little less, require a little more coaxing to be convinced of what i'm saying. Sometimes I think that's how it might be for women, that people tend to just take them a little less seriously. And when I think about something like the #MeToo movement, it starts to make a lot more sense to me.

The fact is we're at a complete disadvantage here. If anybody does something to us we basically can't do ANYTHING about it. If I retaliate now i'll be charged with assault. The only thing I can do is get my life in order and try to move on, and to nurse the wound both internally and potentially externally (so far I seem to be okay...).

I still don't think it's the right way to fix things, it's too rife for abuse, but holy fuck do I understand where it's coming from.

I guess all I ask is that you try to keep this in mind when somebody speaks up about being abused, because there's nothing I can do about this. I feel like I could write that a thousand times. There's nothing I can do about this.

other than to move on as best I can, and again with tears, learn to trust again.

Thank you for your time.

In the rare instance that I'll cite Huff Post, this is called "Stealthing," and is a form of sexual assault.

Edit: Well, now that the thread title has been changed from "harassment," my post is half-redundant.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Wtf was wrong with him? I'm sorry that happened to you. He had NO right to do that, guy or girl; straight or gay.
I hope he didn't give you anything knowingly.
Does Grindr have any sort of reporting system so you could flag his account? Maybe help out some people in the future, seems like the type of behavior that would happen more than a few times.
Try and take your mind off it for a while and watch a good movie or do something you enjoy.

Gander

Banned
Definitely sorry that happened, people can be so selfish and irresponsible but right now take care of you. Get tested and make sure you are ok physically

“Sorry to hear that” just seems so strange considering the topic but then again isn’t GRINDR a site specifically for the purpose of hooking up? Would you feel the same way if the condom broke? I dunno man. If it’s casual dating that go awry on date two that’s beyond shitty but it seems like you’re already playing Russian roulette if you’re on a casual sex app. Not to downplay what happened but this seems like a “make better choices” situation. TBH the whole gay sex thing isn’t my cup of tea but I’m not your judge.

Last edited:
Sadly that's standard "start with glove, finish without" behavior.

Everything he said is iconic to that. The truth is he intended it the entire time. He doesn't get down with condoms.

Honestly there isn't much you can do about liars.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Really shitty situation. Sorry to hear you had to experience that.

First thing's first: I don't think you have any legal recourse whatsoever unless he gave you an STD of some sort. If I'm not mistaken, he can be charged if he knowingly infected someone with an STD without making them aware of it beforehand. But I could be wrong. Either way, get yourself tested ASAP.

Secondly: I had to sound like an old fart, but sex is a dangerous thing. While I think you should be free to do whatever it is that makes you happy, there are obviously consequences to casual hookups. A big one is people not respecting your boundaries.

Look, it's incredibly rare for a ONS partner to be completely in sync with you. Hell, it's even rare for people in long-term relationships to be completely in sync. When you hook up with strangers, the only thing you have in common for sure is that you find each other attractive. But that tells you nothing of the other person's temperament, their views on sex, their preferences, their history, their respect for boundaries, their "soft no's" and "hard no's." That's kind of the whole evolutionary purpose of dating. It's a way to test the waters, check for compatibility, assess your risks, and build trust before you put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. Now, I realize that it's a little different with gay hookup culture (especially for males), but I'm still certain it applies (while there's no risk for pregnancy, for example, there's a much higher risk of STDs).

None of this means that you have to forego hookups (especially if you really enjoy them). But hopefully this experience makes you more selective of your mates. You gotta filter out the dicks who don't respect you.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Never used grindr to find love. Get tested friend.

Surely in the terrible event of catching something you can take some form of legal action at least? Can you make a complaint to police at all?

I admit im in the dark about male on male sexual assault.

mr2xxx

Banned
What happened to you is without a doubt wrong but sadly these types of sexual assaults never end up in convictions. It’s a he said/he said type of situation in the end. Maybe you could get him to admit to it over text message but if that was type of advice you got with a verbal admission, doesn’t seem a text admission would be much better. It’s a terrible thing that happened to you but hopefully your words will help people empathize a little more with victims of sexual assault.

Mohonky

I would definitely have to look into the legal repurcussions, but it is definitely outside of consentual behaviour.

I believe in Sweden they are specific that this is actually sexual assault but I dont know how the law is interpreted else, particularly if you are in America.

It is however, at the very least, a form of assault

Finally I generally settled at anger. I called an Assault Line, I asked them what I could do about this. I absolutely refused to let him get away with it. I asked if having his recorded voice admitting to it would allow me to press charges. "No, because you could be holding a gun to his head to make him say it."

Uh, fuck that? I mean, you might not be able to get a conviction, but you should certainly be able to file a police report, and help document a pattern of behavior if he does it again. Very sorry to hear about your situation.

Osukaa

Fck that sucks and I know how powerless your feeling. Get tested ok find out if he gave you an std.... I know its scary to even think about it but you have to take care of your health first ok. The guy did what he did and he was wrong and I would call that assault but you had no way of knowing so dont blame yourself ok. What's done is done and you need to put yourself and your health and healing first ok. Be sure to take a look at the big picture and realize that you are not to blame. If you need to personally chat about it or anything feel free to send me a private message. I realize I sound like a broken record but I don't want you to go down a path of depression when u did nothing wrong and have it encompass your thoughts.

Raynes

About getting a recording of him admitting. You could call him about it and get him to admit, but do so far away (a few miles) so that you're pinging a different cell tower, although I think his defence would still find a way to dismiss this evidence. Or, better yet, you could call him under the supervision of police at a police station. Why didn't you go to a hospital after the incident? They would have been able to collect some evidence of what happened. Note: None of this is legal advice. I read a thread on reddit where some of these suggestions were made to a user who had been sexually assaulted.

Last edited:

Dunki

I am really sorry to hear this. I think the biggest problem is the trust issue. When I was sexually mollested as a child I had and still have huge trust issues on more intimitate issues. so having now sex with a another person will probably take a bit till you can trust someone or you wont be suspicious. Better check everytime when you g to places like grindr . I just hope that the test are clear.

Stay Strong.

Whitecrow

Banned
First: I'm very sorry about how you are feeling, be strong mate.

Second:
So someone you met over a hook up site came to be an asshole?
Well, surprise, some people are shit....

I dont want to be rude or anything, but you better learn fast that society is fucked up and is far from the ideal world we wish it was. Surprises can come from anywhere and anyone.
The more weight you give to it, the worse it will be for you.

Yeah, it's a shit, but in the end is better to learn a lesson and move on with your life, instead of making a shitball and drag it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm really sorry to hear about that man, it sounds like you were really upfront about everything and this scumbag dude let his other head do the thinking and pushed his lifestyle onto you despite your clear communication of needs.

I will say that having sex with someone before you really know them or trust them is always a risky endeavor, and you did choose to put yourself in a situation where you didn't really know what you were dealing with. I'm not at all saying you deserved this or it was OK at all or anything like that. But some level of trust is always preferable if you're putting your body in the line of fire like that. I'm not going to pretend I haven't had sex with people where there wasn't a ton of trust established, but we're all rolling those dice when we've done it or do it.

As great as sex is, the short-term satisfaction is never worth the long-term impacts of something going wrong. I ended up getting a curable (thank fuck) STI from someone, but it was months of anguish dealing with it. And I don't even know who it was because I was particularly active at this time.

I don't really buy that you have no legal recourse for this. There's a billion stories of "he said/she said" going to court and the perpetrator being found guilty. The main issue I can see is that this incident took place a bunch of days ago so any evidence that would bolster your case may not be there anymore.

Either way, I think it's super brave of you to open up about this so recently after it happened. You have nothing to be ashamed of no matter how that asshole made you feel.

I hope you find peace with this.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
An assault line told you a voice recording is inadmissable because “you could be holding a gun to his head”?

What country are you in?

tkscz

That guy is a piece of shit OP and shouldn't have betrayed your trust like that. I can relate to you. I've been raped 3 times in my life by three different women (two of which i had trust in). and I know all the feelings you are going through (albiet with different sexual orintations).

It's different as a man. I'm physically powerful, i'm in good shape. I know where he is. I could go over there and do something about this

It's weird being a man and going through this when society claims we always have the physical power, but when it's happening, it's like that power never existed, you are at the other person's whim now. Then afterwards you just don't know what to think. Violence won't solve anything, but you want to be because part of you is angry and betrayed. I've made a similar thread some time ago when I found out one of the women died in a car accident.

I hope you well OP and that you'll be able to find trust in others after this. Also, hope things get better for you at work.

MastAndo

That sounds so scary, man. I wish you the best, health-wise and mentally, as you get through this.

...and I believe in the long run, it's best that you didn't physically attack the guy, though I can understand why you wanted to. It would even be understandable if you did. What an absolute piece of crap.

Shiki_

Banned
Man, that's fucked thing it happened. Have you talked face to face with someone you trust about this? To write and share it to others is a sign of courage and a positive strong resolution, but sometimes it's better (or it would easier to heal yourself) if you are listened by someone who trust; you can rant about it, the important here should be you don't need to endure it alone.

I hope you you can heal and find peace without complications, nothing deserves to have a burden like that.

First thing I'll say is I realize how incredibly naive I was. I made the conscious decision when making the thread to be fully honest with what my decisions were. I didn't want to sugar coat it or lie, because I needed to hear an honest opinion, and I thank you all for that, and especially for your support.

In the rare instance that I'll cite Huff Post, this is called "Stealthing," and is a form of sexual assault.
Ah, I didn't know what to call it, but yeah that would definitely be it. Honestly the thought that somebody would ever do that didn't even occur to me. I guess I just don't think about it from that perspective, until now.

Does Grindr have any sort of reporting system so you could flag his account? Maybe help out some people in the future, seems like the type of behavior that would happen more than a few times.
I'm not sure. I had blocked him after, but either way he could just make a new account.

“Sorry to hear that” just seems so strange considering the topic but then again isn’t GRINDR a site specifically for the purpose of hooking up? Would you feel the same way if the condom broke? I dunno man. If it’s casual dating that go awry on date two that’s beyond shitty but it seems like you’re already playing Russian roulette if you’re on a casual sex app. Not to downplay what happened but this seems like a “make better choices” situation. TBH the whole gay sex thing isn’t my cup of tea but I’m not your judge.
It's basically Tinder, from my understanding (never used Tinder). Would I feel the same way if the Condom broke? No way dude, he decided to take it off, there's a difference between something happening by accident and something happening by intent, at least mentally.

Honestly you're right about it being roulette. It's hard with the gay community because there are just no dating apps anymore. When I came out 10 years ago the landscape was very different, you could go online and make a profile, try to find people who are compatible. Now it's basically just a picture. It's way shitter now. I'm hoping that Facebook's new dating thing will help breathe some life into the community beyond dick pics.

Sadly that's standard "start with glove, finish without" behavior.

Everything he said is iconic to that. The truth is he intended it the entire time. He doesn't get down with condoms.

Honestly there isn't much you can do about liars.
Yeah I should have seen the red flags from a mile away, I just never imagined somebody could be so pathetic.

Secondly: I had to sound like an old fart, but sex is a dangerous thing. While I think you should be free to do whatever it is that makes you happy, there are obviously consequences to casual hookups. A big one is people not respecting your boundaries.

That's kind of the whole evolutionary purpose of dating. It's a way to test the waters, check for compatibility, assess your risks, and build trust before you put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. Now, I realize that it's a little different with gay hookup culture (especially for males), but I'm still certain it applies (while there's no risk for pregnancy, for example, there's a much higher risk of STDs).

None of this means that you have to forego hookups (especially if you really enjoy them). But hopefully this experience makes you more selective of your mates. You gotta filter out the dicks who don't respect you.
I'm not even really into hookups, the problem is there's just no infrastructure to facilitate classic dating for males seeking males. It often feels like trying to wrangle a bunch of cats. I should be honest with myself though and accept that maybe I just need to try a little harder at pushing for what i'm actually looking for, but sometimes it feels like I have to meet the other person half way and make the check to see that we are sexually compatible, which puts me in these risky situations.

Surely in the terrible event of catching something you can take some form of legal action at least? Can you make a complaint to police at all?
Uh, fuck that? I mean, you might not be able to get a conviction, but you should certainly be able to file a police report, and help document a pattern of behavior if he does it again. Very sorry to hear about your situation.
About getting a recording of him admitting. You could call him about it and get him to admit, but do so far away (a few miles) so that you're pinging a different cell tower, although I think his defence would still find a way to dismiss this evidence. Or, better yet, you could call him under the supervision of police at a police station. Why didn't you go to a hospital after the incident? They would have been able to collect some evidence of what happened. Note: None of this is legal advice. I read a thread on reddit where some of these suggestions were made to a user who had been sexually assaulted.
I did go over there a few days later after I got my bearings and got his confession on my phone (and to make it clear to him how upset I was and that if I could I would have charged him with assault), but I mainly did it for myself. There's nothing I can legally do with the evidence. It's on file, but that's it.

An assault line told you a voice recording is inadmissable because “you could be holding a gun to his head”?

What country are you in?
Yeah. It's an extreme example but it is true, and I kind of knew that anyways intuitively.

Canada.

It's not like it is with straight people dude. I don't have 4 billion people to choose from. Sadly this is the world I have to navigate through. I live my life openly and the amount of people i've met through work or otherwise is exactly 1. 1 openly gay person in my 30 years alive. Other than bars I should say, which is essentially the same thing as Grindr, only even more empty as the days go by.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
It's not like it is with straight people dude. I don't have 4 billion people to choose from. Sadly this is the world I have to navigate through.
Irrelevant. My point was you should never "learn to trust again" random strangers from a meat hunting website...

Irrelevant. My point was you should never "learn to trust again" random strangers from a meat hunting website...
I didn't say learn to trust again with random strangers from a meat hunting website, I meant in general.

And you'll really have to explain to me how our different circumstances is irrelevant.

cryptoadam

Banned
That guy was a total piece of work. I bet that was his plan all along even though you said no.

Dude you were totally assaulted. Isn't it a crime if he has some sort of STD (which I pray for you he doesn't).

I don't know Grindr but is there a way you can report him or something he will probably do the same thing to other people as well.

BANGS

Banned
you'll really have to explain to me how our different circumstances is irrelevant
Because you shouldn't trust random strangers regardless of your sexual orientation... one might argue it may be even more dangerous in your circumstance...

But I get now that's not what you meant, which brings up more questions, but it's cool... just be safe dude...

Because you shouldn't trust random strangers regardless of your sexual orientation... one might argue it may be even more dangerous in your circumstance...

But I get now that's not what you meant, which brings up more questions, but it's cool... just be safe dude...
I'm just trying to convey that the alternative isn't as easy as you might think it is.

I've been on dating sites. The only reply I got was from a 60 year old in Victoria BC who offered to fly me out there to spend a week in his sex dungeon. I'm not even kidding.

It's significantly more difficult to do things in the traditional manner. I should say as well the one person I did meet in real life outside of the bars I dated for 3 years, and it was the best relationship I had ever had, and I've been trying to find something like that ever since.

I know it's difficult to understand from the outside, and I know I opened myself up to harm in this situation, and I know the solution is to generally avoid it, but the reality is things aren't as easy as they are for you. And I don't blame you for not knowing that.

And I do agree that I need to be safer.

TrainedRage

Banned
I'm just trying to convey that the alternative isn't as easy as you might think it is.

I've been on dating sites. The only reply I got was from a 60 year old in Victoria BC who offered to fly me out there to spend a week in his sex dungeon. I'm not even kidding.

It's significantly more difficult to do things in the traditional manner. I should say as well the one person I did meet in real life outside of the bars I dated for 3 years, and it was the best relationship I had ever had, and I've been trying to find something like that ever since.

I know it's difficult to understand from the outside, and I know I opened myself up to harm in this situation, and I know the solution is to generally avoid it, but the reality is things aren't as easy as they are for you. And I don't blame you for not knowing that.

And I do agree that I need to be safer.
You sound like a reasonable and nice guy. Do you go to any gay clubs or bars? I'm straight (i think) but when I go to gay clubs there seems to be a bit more variety of people. Shy, outgoing, dancing , at the bar, etc... Maybe find a club that plays music you like and try to hang out there and meet someone 'conventionally'. Just a thought.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm sorry this happened to you. Please get tested and also perhaps see a therapist about it. Someone should talk you through the experience so that you can come to grips with it, although it seems as though posting this thread was a way for you to get that started.

If you're willing to hear some advice: this is why "casual sex" is an oxymoron. I'll take it a step further and say that anyone who believes in casual sex is either naive or untrustworthy. It's an intimate, sacred experience. If you start meeting with people who clearly don't think it's an intimate, sacred experience, don't be surprised when it doesn't get treated like an intimate, sacred experience.

Get off that app and any similar websites. Think carefully about who you share this part of yourself with. Maybe you'll never have another negative experience like this again. Maybe, or maybe not. It is your choice to roll those dice, but as you've just experienced it can happen and there is literally nothing preventing it from happening again.

Greedings

I will never understand how someone can have sex with someone they’ve known for about 5 mins.
You’re fucking vulnerable. Don’t make yourself vulnerable to people you have never met.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sorry this happened to you. Per your narrative of events that sounds premeditated and scummy on his part. Per what some others are saying this sounds like it's an unfortunately common thing in grindr hookups, and I've heard simialr things. I've heard a lot of sketchy stuff all around from Tinder hookups, too, guy and girl. I don't touch these hookup app things.

While there are some callous-leaning posts in this thread, the gist I'm getting here is that everyone's on your side and trying to look out for you one way or another. Some people are just colder pragmatist types, but they're still trying to look out for you.

1) Get tested. Get tested. Get tested.

2) Talk to a counselor/therapist to help process what happened and the emotional trauma so that you can get past it in a healthy way and the experience doesn't have power over you. Men don't tend to handle emotional and physical trauma in healthy ways. We blame ourselves and hurt outserves, and we're tough enough to hurt ourselves a hell of a lot. People with knowledge or experience in gay hookup culture have probably seen or done all sorts of sketch stuff so they may be kind of desensitized to it on top of that. Someone else shrugging it off doesn't mean you have to or can shrug it off. Make sure you process this stuff in a healthy way that you need to to move on with your life and find positive stuff.

3) If you're still looking to pursue legal action, consult with a lawyer first and lay out the facts, and they'll tell you what the law is on the matter and whether it's actionable. The hotline person sounds a little sketch based on your account and came up with all sorts of hypotheticals to shoot you down per the OP. They may have just been trying to explain that defendants have a lot of outs when there is a he-said he-said situation that was explicitly set up for a sex encounter and that he did put a condom on for it as requested, though. I know Sweden apparently has laws against condom-on-condom-off things because of what happened to Julian Assange, but there may not be laws on the books where you are governing that situation. Without existing evidence, it may be best to move on rather than try to catch him in a recording admitting guilt afterwards. (I'm not a lawyer and this doesn't constitute legal advice; consult with an attorney in these matters)

4) Grindr doesn't sound like it's a good match for you. Ask around, find some social spots that are cool and gay-friendly, or, hell, just make lots of friends and your straight friends will look out for you and wingman/wingwoman for you and help you get to something real. I've been to some gay bars and clubs and social spots with gay and lesbian friends and it's not all extreme hookup culture.

You sound like a reasonable and nice guy. Do you go to any gay clubs or bars? I'm straight (i think) but when I go to gay clubs there seems to be a bit more variety of people. Shy, outgoing, dancing , at the bar, etc... Maybe find a club that plays music you like and try to hang out there and meet someone 'conventionally'. Just a thought.

I just moved into the area but there are two clubs near me. I guess I was just a little disheartened the first time I went there because it was just me in there drinking my beer while disco lights and techno-music blared around me, and nobody really came into the bar. Maybe it was just an off night. I didn't go out for Pride this year because I just don't feel good about myself right now, but that would have been the time to test the waters again. Either way i'll try to push into it a little harder moving forward as it's just safer and more human that way.

I think you should also see a counselor or psychiatrist since this will affect future relationships.
The assault line is actually available 24-7 here apparently, but I can't spare the time to speak with a counselor in person right now, although I would if I could. I'm lucky to have an understanding sister, this whole ordeal has brought her and I much closer together.

Sorry this happened to you. Per your narrative of events that sounds premeditated and scummy on his part. Per what some others are saying this sounds like it's an unfortunately common thing in grindr hookups, and I've heard simialr things. I've heard a lot of sketchy stuff all around from Tinder hookups, too, guy and girl. I don't touch these hookup app things.

While there are some callous-leaning posts in this thread, the gist I'm getting here is that everyone's on your side and trying to look out for you one way or another. Some people are just colder pragmatist types, but they're still trying to look out for you.

1) Get tested. Get tested. Get tested.

2) Talk to a counselor/therapist to help process what happened and the emotional trauma so that you can get past it in a healthy way and the experience doesn't have power over you. Men don't tend to handle emotional and physical trauma in healthy ways. We blame ourselves and hurt outserves, and we're tough enough to hurt ourselves a hell of a lot. People with knowledge or experience in gay hookup culture have probably seen or done all sorts of sketch stuff so they may be kind of desensitized to it on top of that. Someone else shrugging it off doesn't mean you have to or can shrug it off. Make sure you process this stuff in a healthy way that you need to to move on with your life and find positive stuff.

3) If you're still looking to pursue legal action, consult with a lawyer first and lay out the facts, and they'll tell you what the law is on the matter and whether it's actionable. The hotline person sounds a little sketch based on your account and came up with all sorts of hypotheticals to shoot you down per the OP. They may have just been trying to explain that defendants have a lot of outs when there is a he-said he-said situation that was explicitly set up for a sex encounter and that he did put a condom on for it as requested, though. I know Sweden apparently has laws against condom-on-condom-off things because of what happened to Julian Assange, but there may not be laws on the books where you are governing that situation. Without existing evidence, it may be best to move on rather than try to catch him in a recording admitting guilt afterwards. (I'm not a lawyer and this doesn't constitute legal advice; consult with an attorney in these matters)

4) Grindr doesn't sound like it's a good match for you. Ask around, find some social spots that are cool and gay-friendly, or, hell, just make lots of friends and your straight friends will look out for you and wingman/wingwoman for you and help you get to something real. I've been to some gay bars and clubs and social spots with gay and lesbian friends and it's not all extreme hookup culture.

I was admittedly afraid to read the more cold replies and knew I should step away for a day after I posted this, but I think a part of me wanted to read them just as much as I wanted the support and the ability to get my thoughts in order. I know this isn't my fault, but like most things in life sometimes that doesn't matter, and there are steps I can take in the future to reduce my chances of this happening again, and it's not exactly a bad thing to hear that. But I did think it was important to try to explain to others, as well, that it's not easy living like this all the time and i'm not faced with the best prospects.

In regards to point 4, you know, I never once considered taking my straight friends out to the bar with me. It's crazy too because i've played the wing man my entire life but I never thought about the possibility that somebody would come to the bar with me instead.

Maybe a large part of that is because when I came out the world was a lot more different. Most people in my rural saskatchewan town would "tolerate" me, but there was always that distance between us. I had a few close friends, but again as I said, my role was generally to be the wingman.

I guess the world is a different place now. People are definitely more tolerant and even comfortable with themselves. That's something i'm definitely going to consider in the future. It actually sounds fun, even...

jdforge

Banned
Sorry to hear about this happening to you. Maybe in future it’s best to not jump into anal with strangers on a first meeting. Not excusing what this asshole did, I’m just saying that you didn’t know he was an asshole and really shouldn’t be having anal sexual with assholes.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I'm not even really into hookups, the problem is there's just no infrastructure to facilitate classic dating for males seeking males. It often feels like trying to wrangle a bunch of cats. I should be honest with myself though and accept that maybe I just need to try a little harder at pushing for what i'm actually looking for, but sometimes it feels like I have to meet the other person half way and make the check to see that we are sexually compatible, which puts me in these risky situations.

I'm moderately familiar with the gay dating culture (at least in Canada), and I understand why you think like this. There's also a huge biological element to this -- men have substantially more testosterone than women (even guys on the lower end). This inevitably translates to increases in risky behaviour and general impulsivity in male-male courtship. Combine this with an ADD dating culture that rewards instant gratification, and you find yourself in a real pickle as a gay man. Especially if you're not into casual hook ups.

So look, I totally get it. The odds are stacked somewhat against you.

But what I'm reading here is simple defeatism, an attitude that I believe to be entirely unjustified.

Classic dating never had a great infrastructure for anyone (unless you're from a culture that practices arranged marriage). Before dating apps and websites, the only "infrastructure" people had were awkward speed-dating events and their friends playing matchmaker. People had to do the hard (and often heartbreaking) thing of putting themselves out there and taking chances on strangers. People joined hobby groups, went to bars, expanded their social circles, and straight up approached people at coffee shops to begin the courting process.

There's no reason why you can't do this as well. In fact, one of my friends recently married the man of his dreams doing just that. They met through a music-related Tumblr group, and went to a few shows together before they pursued a relationship.

My theory is that you haven't adjusted properly to the gay dating scene. Based on what you've been saying in this thread, I'm going to guess that:
  • You're attractive, and thus have gotten used to being pursued by more aggressive males
  • You're uncomfortable being the pursuer
  • You're young (under 25)
  • You haven't had more than one serious relationship
If I'm right on all accounts, there's a very good chance that your view on relationship dynamics has been warped quite a bit. Let me explain.

The reason that traditional courtships (male-female) work reasonably well, is because there's an unspoken set of rules (although these have been breaking down in recent years). In the vast majority of cases, men act as the pursuers and women act as the gatekeepers. If you are a straight male who takes reasonably good care of himself (fit, employed, and stylish), there's a very clear path to getting a lady. You have to come to terms with your role as the pursuer, and start putting yourself out there. If you're a straight, attractive lady, your process is also fairly straight forward. You wait for men to approach you (or put yourself in situations where the men you fancy have a higher likelihood of making a move) -- and then you filter like crazy to avoid danger and elicit commitment. In fact, some attractive women will make it to their 20s without ever having sex, merely because 99.9% of their pursuers won't meet their strict criteria.

For gay men, this is obviously quite different. There are no well-defined roles to play, and this creates a serious imbalance. Attractive, aggressive males can get all the sex they want without committing to anyone. Timid gay men (who are much more likely to put out than timid women) are thus constantly taken advantage of. And if you happen to be a timid gay man that doesn't like meaningless hookups, you're doubly in trouble.

Thus, it seems to me, your entire perspective on relationships has been warped by your relative ease of access to sex with attractive, aggressive men, who have no incentive to commit. And you're expecting to fall into a loving relationship without changing your behaviour.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I don’t know. What was the intent of using grinder?! To get laid right? General rule for me is to never trust anyone that you meet online. Sorry this happened though sounds super fucked up.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
"No" he says. "I've completely betrayed your trust, I wasn't thinking straight, you have every right... ect".
So dude is essentially a scumbag and just wanted to practice unfree sex. Weak excuse aswell, but i had to giggle at the ''I was not thinking straight'' part. Because well..

Id say he should take his responsibility and pay for the resultant trauma. Get some mental help, please. Obviously this aint your fault, you gave out your rules (Though, i wouldnt be so quick to pull into sex unless that was the intention of the meeting all along, nor do i use Grindr (Straight person here).) I am sorry that you were the victim of this kind of thing.

Confront him with this and tell him to accept his responsibility. The both of you are adults, so lets settle this peacefully first.
If that does not work, then call the cops. I know that this will be a lengthy option since it will be a he said/he said thing, but this kind of recent shitty trend needs a stop.

John Day

Man i’m sorry to hear about it. Sleazy mofo. I’m not one for violence, but damn anyone would have been tempted to go for a kick in the balls. Fucker...

Thanks for sharing man, and hope you can find the support you need. You seem to be a strong person.

Top Bottom