• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo did "keynotes" like Apple - every year

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Listen, I'm not into Apple (been there, done that), but their keynotes are top notch for explaining what they're doing. Imagine if they just showed videos of their products - it wouldn't be an Apple Keynote. Deep diving into how they make the products - to see and hear the ambitions from multiple developers, are what makes their keynotes the greatest "show off" in the business.

If the biggest players in gaming would do the same, we would actually know who to support - but it's all cinematics and a little gameplay - like hiding stuff is the key to success. Weird. Let's hear the developers, what they've been doing for the past 4 years and let them show off their games, instead of all the secrecy bullshit. Showing off a AAA game should take at least 20 minutes. Show us how they've made stuff and how much effort are put into the games.

I recognize a lot (most) 3rd parties doesn't have the capacity to do this - same goes for indies, but all 1st party studios should at least come out blazing and show us all the good stuff, right?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You mean like a show, or a showcase right?

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

8BiTw0LF

Banned
You mean like a show, or a showcase right?

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
Yes... But obviously not how they're doing them now lol

They should do an expo .. for electronic entertainment .. yeah.
Nah, us outside the US and everyone else who can't attend IRL can only hear from others how great or bad games are. E3 is dead - let it go in peace.

Er… Square Enix literally did a 25 minute state of play for Final Fantasy XVI just last month. Then they did a live demo of the game at PAX.

Did you watch it?
I saw it, but not much tech talk in that one. Bungie ViDocs are great - wish more developers would do it like them.

Wulfer

Seems like they did this some years back. I think it was quite popular. I think VIPs and Hollywood stars would come to that kind of show . No, it must have been a dream! We can't have shows like that around here.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Nah. I would rather see smaller drops to keep me excited. They should wrap the monthly game drop announcements around some trailers.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yes... But obviously not how they're doing them now lol
I totally get what you mean, but don't you think these big publishers would love to show off nothing but awesome gameplay in their showcase? But these things take time.
And as for the reason why they announce these games so early, it's mostly to be able to recruit for said project.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I totally get what you mean, but don't you think these big publishers would love to show off nothing but awesome gameplay in their showcase? But these things take time.
And as for the reason why they announce these games so early, it's mostly to be able to recruit for said project.
I'm not saying every game shown should be a deep dive and early stuff could fit in as usual. I just think we need a lot more meat in the showcases we get - especially for games which releases within a year.

bitbydeath

That would imply they have something worth talking about and it’s not just a slightly updated engine. Ghosts of Tsushima did a good tech presso a few years back.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
That would imply they have something worth talking about and it’s not just a slightly updated engine. Ghosts of Tsushima did a good tech presso a few years back.
Exactly. Housemarque also had a lot of great "behind the scenes" stuff for Returnal - but it came out after the game released. Put some of that in the showcases and stretch a show to 2 hours instead of 1 hour.

CamHostage

I get a little bit of what the OP is saying, but that's what these shows are, it's just that they are gamer shows not "fan" shows and so they have to play to the attention span of us children.

Also, what you're describing is what E3/TGS/Gamescon (and CES/Comdex before them) used to be. This difference is that they were detailed for journalists' sakes, so that they could have long reports in the papers from these trade shows. (BTW, we forget, these used to be primarily business meetings, the "showcase" was just the kickoff event to establish the key products and marketing forecast. People complained that some old E3s were boring, but that's why us kids weren't supposed to be invited, it's just that video sites took the conference public.)

CamHostage

If the biggest players in gaming would do the same, we would actually know who to support - but it's all cinematics and a little gameplay - like hiding stuff is the key to success. Weird. Let's hear the developers, what they've been doing for the past 4 years and let them show off their games, instead of all the secrecy bullshit.

Oh, come on, you don't believe that Apple doesn't engage in secrecy bullshit, do you? This is the company that used to release new products the day of its keynote, and sued a journalist who got an early version of hardware they were about to announce. We've known about Apple's VR project for like 2 or 3 years now. Its the same game, just different ways of communicating to the public.

I'm not saying every game shown should be a deep dive and early stuff could fit in as usual. I just think we need a lot more meat in the showcases we get - especially for games which releases within a year.

They're not done, though. We've seen lots of "bullshot" backlash about games that didn't come out exactly as shown in a conference. These products are not ready for an official deep-dive; at the point us kids see games for the first time, they're held together with bubblegum and duct tape, sometimes even fairy dust and prayers, maybe even a few lies they hope to somehow make true. Devs talk about their engine developments to the press, but doing an extra 20 on a demo that's a lot of sleight of hand is even worse than what they do now.

Lasha

I've got an easier method for you to determine who to support. Wait for company to release a product. Evaluate the product based on its own merits. Buy the product if its good. Zero reason to pray at the altar of tech companies under the guise of support.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The entire fucking gaming industry needs to take notes on how to put on a proper showcase.

High end production value. Check.
CEO/Important faces talking. Check.
Prices for everything. Check.
Release Dates for everything. Check.
Demos for everything, letting you know how it works. Check.

World class presentation. Made every gaming event look like a cheap high school musical in comparison.

Stop embarrassing the industry. Do better.

Gamers. Start demanding better.

"we have showcases!" STFU. Look at the vile trash Sony just fed us. CG trailers, "not actual gameplay", no release dates, no important figures explaining their games, a bunch of SHIT looking games.

And that took 2 fucking years to produce?

This is the best we can expect?

Come on.

Last edited:

Fbh

We usually do get some deep dives into big releases though. We had 20 minutes gameplay showings for stuff like Zelda, FFXVI and Hogwarts Legacy.
And when new consoles get announced we usually get the typical video with devs and executives talking about what makes the console unique and better (which is usually like 80% bullshit)

They even have the generic apple black background
S6P8Qx5.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
God no, Apple keynotes are the biggest load of drivel in the industry.

“It’s the most incredible phone we’ve ever made…. for the 15th time”

Chastten

Banned
Please no.

I don't care about tech, I care about games. I like Nintendo's Direct format

Also, none of these companies release hardware as often as Apple does, and games almost always have roughly the same price so I really don't see how you can compare these.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
God no, Apple keynotes are the biggest load of drivel in the industry.

“It’s the most incredible phone we’ve ever made…. for the 15th time”
As opposed to CG trailers, "not actual gameplay", and indie/GAAS trash being shoved down our throats for 30 minutes?

Or as opposed to "this game is 10x the size of our last game" but also 10x as bloated.

I'd rather these studios come out and say "this is the best, most advanced game we've ever made" every year. With a release date.

Robb

Gold Member
As opposed to CG trailers, "not actual gameplay", and indie/GAAS trash being shoved down our throats for 30 minutes?

Or as opposed to "this game is 10x the size of our last game" but also 10x as bloated.

I'd rather these studios come out and say "this is the best, most advanced game we've ever made" every year. With a release date.
Good for you.

If I was forced to choose between the two I would muuuuuch rather watch a well made CGI trailer than have the developer of the game sit in a fancy room just talking about it. Both will likely be b/s but at least I’ll be watching something that’ll excite me and give hints of the story/theme/characters in the actual game instead of some random guy I don’t care about.

Last edited:

midnightAI

The entire fucking gaming industry needs to take notes on how to put on a proper showcase.

High end production value. Check.
CEO/Important faces talking. Check.
Prices for everything. Check.
Release Dates for everything. Check.
Demos for everything, letting you know how it works. Check.

World class presentation. Made every gaming event look like a cheap high school musical in comparison.

Stop embarrassing the industry. Do better.

Gamers. Start demanding better.

"we have showcases!" STFU. Look at the vile trash Sony just fed us. CG trailers, "not actual gameplay", no release dates, no important figures explaining their games, a bunch of SHIT looking games.

And that took 2 fucking years to produce?

This is the best we can expect?

Come on.
Sure, it was all those things.... It was also pretentious, boring and just people waffling about how it's never a better time to do something.

Thank god gaming presentations have got away from the waffle and got straight to what is important.... Games

Ronin_7

Banned
Meh felt asleep yesterday during Apple stream.

I mean their products are incredible no doubt but you can't feel the magic just listening you gotta use the products.

They just can’t. They all suck in public, expert maybe Cerny, and talk to their audience like they were 15 years boys assholes (they are in a way). And they have like zero new product to show except one every 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
I don’t know, if I want “important faces” in these kind of shows. I would have preferred not to see Jim Ryan last showcase. And yesterday I found myself fast forwarding all the parts with Tim Cook, cause he only talks “revolutionary” stuff, nothing fact based.

VN1X

Banned
Listen, I'm not into Apple (been there, done that), but their keynotes are top notch for explaining what they're doing. Imagine if they just showed videos of their products - it wouldn't be an Apple Keynote. Deep diving into how they make the products - to see and hear the ambitions from multiple developers, are what makes their keynotes the greatest "show off" in the business.

If the biggest players in gaming would do the same, we would actually know who to support - but it's all cinematics and a little gameplay - like hiding stuff is the key to success. Weird. Let's hear the developers, what they've been doing for the past 4 years and let them show off their games, instead of all the secrecy bullshit. Showing off a AAA game should take at least 20 minutes. Show us how they've made stuff and how much effort are put into the games.

I recognize a lot (most) 3rd parties doesn't have the capacity to do this - same goes for indies, but all 1st party studios should at least come out blazing and show us all the good stuff, right?
"I want more advertising please! I'm a good CoNSoOmeR!"

StueyDuck

You want talking heads nattering at you with buzzwords and terrible "this is what it's going to be like in the real world" adverts.

Then EA showcases were for you

Last edited:

smbu2000

Apple main Keynote is usually in September when they introduce the new iphone/watch and release updated software (ios/macos/watchos)

This is the Developers conference one they use to introduce their upcoming software revisions (new ios/new macos/etc.) new features so developers can be ready with updates to their software when the new versions release in Sep./Oct.
Occasionally they will also introduce HW as well like the AR goggles/new 15” MB Air/Mac Pro. Before they released the M1 macs they also had test HW (with ipad pro guts) available that devs could use to make their compatible software.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You are unfairly comparing Apple teams organization, competence and consistency to SIE teams. You can’t even compare that to any game publisher. Maybe Nintendo comes close but that’s it.

There is a reason why Apple have their events like clockwork. There is a reason Apple can say pre-order now and available next week for a product and still sell like cake.

Top Bottom