• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo did "keynotes" like Apple - every year

Sorcerer

Games are never finished, not even at release. Really not a good idea to show games in such a rough state. We know gamers are out there with pitchforks anyway. It would never fly.
Also, those Apple presentations seem rather strange, like a weird cult, not saying Apple fans are a cult, but the presentations certainly have that vibe.
That one guy using The Force to summon his Ipad to him? WTF was that about?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Everything Apple talks about in their showcase is marketing, and half of it is made up speak for already existing tech to make it sound cool and be marketable.

Do you want the other companies to show you their C compiler. Miyamoto coming out, this is how we compile the code, it compiles like nothing you have seen before. When we compile code and there is an error, we correct it. Most companies just release it, we fix our errors.

Ozriel

M$FT
"we have showcases!" STFU. Look at the vile trash Sony just fed us. CG trailers, "not actual gameplay", no release dates, no important figures explaining their games, a bunch of SHIT looking games.

And that took 2 fucking years to produce?

This is the best we can expect?

Come on.

Ironically, Apple showed off their vision pro goggles with the equivalent of CGI, the hardware won’t be on sale until next year and journalists weren’t allowed hands on.

And they’ve been working on it for years.

The jokes just write themselves 😂

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
They should do an expo .. for electronic entertainment .. yeah.
Backstreet Boys 90S GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The last thing I want is for gaming showcases to be slickly rendered, soulless affairs, featuring a parade of automatons, spouting marketing double speak, and trying to persuade me to spend thousands of dollars on a product I neither need nor want.

They're bad enough already. Let's not make them worse.

If anything, i want E3 back just for the cringe and giggles. Video gaming has become way too corporate.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure about a "keynote" format for a gaming showcase.

However there's so much Sony can pull from Apple's showcases. People can say what they want but Steve Job's revealing the Macbook Air and iPhone are arguably some of the greatest product showcases in marketing history. I know they're used as a standard across the industry as a template for other business.

I can already see some of Apple's influence over Playstation... like Jim Ryan's infamous "let me leave you with just one more thing..."

Dr_Ifto

Sony does too many shows to do a keynote. Maybe if they stopped going to CES. And incorporated everything into one thing, not just games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
God no.
Apple is the worst, monstrous, stuff official showcase.
They speak like kindergarten teachers. It's just horrendous.

I want old cringe e3 conference. With more lively people. Real people. LIVE !
No suits and fake kindenss

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
How fucked up are we if we are this worried about the quality of marketing events? Are you really gonna act like the presentation of the games is a big detriment to games today instead of just plain bad games?

That's why we got an underwhelming generation. That's why consoles are pricer than ever. That's why games now start at $70 dollars. Because gamers are too dumb to judge games by their quality when released, they need to have all spoon-feed down their throats by marketing departments of mega corporation to even care about games in the first place. I wish gamers cared more about playing games instead of watching trailers.

Listen, I'm not into Apple (been there, done that), but their keynotes are top notch for explaining what they're doing. Imagine if they just showed videos of their products - it wouldn't be an Apple Keynote. Deep diving into how they make the products - to see and hear the ambitions from multiple developers, are what makes their keynotes the greatest "show off" in the business.

If the biggest players in gaming would do the same, we would actually know who to support - but it's all cinematics and a little gameplay - like hiding stuff is the key to success. Weird. Let's hear the developers, what they've been doing for the past 4 years and let them show off their games, instead of all the secrecy bullshit. Showing off a AAA game should take at least 20 minutes. Show us how they've made stuff and how much effort are put into the games.

I recognize a lot (most) 3rd parties doesn't have the capacity to do this - same goes for indies, but all 1st party studios should at least come out blazing and show us all the good stuff, right?

Fuck this.

The annual cadence of E3 ---> Gamescom ---> TGS, with the associated burden on devs to produce carefully crafted demos (taking precious time away from actual development), was just too much for developers and the industry as a whole.

Having an annual Game Awards event together with individual publisher's showcases to announce games ad hoc when they're ready to do so, is much better for the actual games development cycle.

It's not as fun for us gamers, but I'd much rather have a bunch of dissociated and largely forgetable gaming showcases throughout the year, and a steady cadence of quality AAA game releases, than a huge bombastic pretentious annual showcase with many publishers all vying for public attention, where half the games end up in development hell and another 5th of them eventually get canned.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Ironically, Apple showed off their vision pro goggles with the equivalent of CGI, the hardware won’t be on sale until next year and journalists weren’t allowed hands on.

Journalists did get about 30 minutes with the device. The first recap of impressions I saw was iJustine this morning.
The part with the dinosaur was rather interesting. The dinosaur was watching her the entire time and snapped at her when she put her hand in front of it. Pretty cool!!! Of course, it can only be impressions, as one would expect.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Will Smith Reaction GIF

I know people cringe at Apple keynotes - I do too, but I can see the potential in doing (something like) them contrary what the big 3 are doing now. I don't want an apples to apples keynote/showcase either, but everyone should agree on what Apple is doing works.

Sorcerer

Will Smith Reaction GIF

I know people cringe at Apple keynotes - I do too, but I can see the potential in doing (something like) them contrary what the big 3 are doing now. I don't want an apples to apples keynote/showcase either, but everyone should agree on what Apple is doing works.

It works for Apple because they are competent. When they show their products, they are already polished and ready to ship the next day in some cases. As an organization, one can confidently say Apple certainly has their shit together. Also they do not have to rely on third parties to prop them up because first party offerings from Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft, simply cannot come out like clockwork. Depending on third parties makes things very messy I imagine. The offerings from first party are not enough to sustain game companies entirely. One can argue Nintendo maybe to some extent, but I still think they need third parties.

Jinzo Prime

Apple's Keynotes are world class. No gaming company comes close to that level of competence.

I don't wven own an Apple product, but I was very impressed by WWDC.

Top Bottom