• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i wish we could get some games with complex stories like Tenet , inception , dune

anothertech

Tenet?

lolol let's crash an airplane into a museum to steal a fake painting I'm being blackmailed with so we can save the future from global warming.

Ace tier writing there friend.

Hellmaker

tumblr_lwu8g7hofG1r4gei2o3_500.gifv

BabyYoda

Banned
Remedy games fit that bill nicely, particularly Quantum Break (Tenet possibly ripped it off), Alan Wake and Control. They are intelligently written and are complex without being convoluted (imho).

kyliethicc

Tenet?

lolol let's crash an airplane into a museum to steal a fake painting I'm being blackmailed with so we can save the future from global warming.

Ace tier writing there friend.
They weren't trying to steal a painting.
They weren't being blackmailed.
Has nothing to do with global warming.
They were trying to access a vault to discover what was inside.
Turns out it was a turnstable.
They were trying to prevent nuclear apocalypse.

Just because you don't understand the story doesn't mean its bad.

Last edited:
Persona 5 plays with some principles behind psychoanalysis in a really enjoyable way but I’m not sure I’d say it’s a great story.

hyperbertha

Also I don't get this movie craze. The vast majority of movies are extremely predictable shallow, and very factory made. No avenger movie has ever come close to a good story. And even when they adapt from a good novel, they need to cut out a lot from the source to fit the time limit. Most rpgs I've played beat the majority of movies.

Rhazkul

I prefer gameplay and couldn't care less about the story. That doesn't mean i occasionally play some narrative-driven games (currently playing LA Noire, amazing story focused game. SOMA is also a good example) but when i game, i wanna game, and when i want a complex story, i just watch a movie or read a book (lol who am i kidding, i don't read books). "Interactive movies" or "Walking Sims" lack in gameplay and gameplay-focused games lack in story, and that's fine for me.

Last edited:
Those movies dont exactly have a complex story but yes, videogames stories are incredibly simplistic and bad created. If you compare games with the good studd from cinema we are sooooo behind

anothertech

They weren't trying to steal a painting.
They weren't being blackmailed.
Has nothing to do with global warming.
They were trying to access a vault to discover what was inside.
Turns out it was a turnstable.
They were trying to prevent nuclear apocalypse.

Just because you don't understand the story doesn't mean its bad.
This just shows you how bad the writing in that movie is. The future is attacking the past for causing global warming. Almost nobody gets this major plot point because the story telling and writing is trash.

Also the wife of the villain is absolutely being blackmailed by the item in the museum vault. Again, such top tier writing. Nobody understands this shit.

Cryio

Besides the usual Metal Gear Solid and the Bioshocks, there's:

Legacy of Kain
SOMA
Prince of Persia The Sands of Time (as a trilogy)
Mass Effect trilogy
The Witcher (as a trilogy)

cireza

I have watched all the movies cited by OP, and others. I really like the genre.

If you can survive anime, read Steins Gate. One of the best SF story you can find. House in Fata Morgana is also a great read.

Outer Wilds is great too, it is not story driven though.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

This just shows you how bad the writing in that movie is. The future is attacking the past for causing global warming. Almost nobody gets this major plot point because the story telling and writing is trash.

Also the wife of the villain is absolutely being blackmailed by the item in the museum vault. Again, such top tier writing. Nobody understands this shit.
Nope sorry she isn't being blackmailed anymore that was years ago. And it was her lover not her.

And thats not why the protag was trying to get into the vault.

And no, again, Sator isn't destroying the world cuz of global warming lol

Last edited:

anothertech

Nope sorry she isn't being blackmailed anymore that was years ago. And it was her lover not her.

And thats not why the protag was trying to get into the vault.

And no, again, Sator isn't destroying the world cuz of global warming lol
The ven diagram that is used to puzzle this shit hole plot together says otherwise. What I explained is true. You can look it up.

Why in your understanding is the future attacking the past? The answer is given in the boat scene you can hardly hear when Edward Cullen is explaining to the protagonist what the hell is going on in a shit storm of rain and engine grind.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Norco, from this year. Better writing than 99% of video games and it goes to some weird places.

Zug

I have yet to find something better written than Planescape : Torment in the videogame sphere.
Disco Elysium is supposed to be a spiritual successor, I should try it.

I think it's extremely unrealistic to expect Hollywood level writing in video games. Good writing in movies is already hard to come by, but for games to approach that level AND you know, be a good game is asking way too much. Let games be games. Focus on gameplay. On interactivity. On gameplay systems and mechanics. The actual "game" part. Have a serviceable story that compliments the gameplay.

Let games be games.

Spaceman292

Banned
Stories are very important for me , especially in games that are longer games ( 20+ hours ) , im also a huge movie fan and i would really like to see games reach the level of storytelling of movies like Inception , Tenet , Shutter island , Dune , The dark knight

Ive played games like the last of us , the witcher , deus ex , god of war , red dead redemption , dont get me wrong they are great games but even these ones dont reach the level of story of movies that i listed , in these games its always good vs evil with certain emotional moments to mask the simple plot

in the last of us part 2 for example they try to put you in the shoes of both sides to make it hard for you to decide who is good or evil or either reach the conclusion that there is no good or evil , the only thing that matter is from which perspective you look at the situation , but still the plot was very simple

the witcher 3 ( my fav game in the last 20 years ) had great characters , the world was so immersive and it did made me feel for the characters but the same as with the last of us , the plot was very simple , you reach the end where is you vs the wild hunt

for me the only game that got close to movies in terms of story is bioshock 1 and infinite

have you played any games with a story as good as your favorite movie or book ?
You know people other than Chris Nolan have made movies too, right?

Hugare

The closest to that we had "recently" was Bioshock Infinite

"Time travel", multiverse "before it was cool", some mindbending revelations and etc.

People here mentioning Horizon or Kingdom Hearts as good examples ... Yikes

Quantum Break tries, but the writing and execution was poor, imo

samoilaaa

You know people other than Chris Nolan have made movies too, right?
ofc i just listed a couple , here are a couple more of my fav

Lord of the rings
Zodiac
The game 1997
Knives out
silence of the lambs
seven
blade runner 2049
prisoners 2013
Gone girl

and many more , it would take me alot to list all the movies that i like

samoilaaa

The closest to that we had "recently" was Bioshock Infinite

"Time travel", multiverse "before it was cool", some mindbending revelations and etc.

People here mentioning Horizon or Kingdom Hearts as good examples ... Yikes

Quantum Break tries, but the writing and execution was poor, imo
yeah quantum break had a good story but the problem was with the pacing and some dialog that was kinda dumb , its too bad , the game could have been so much better and remedy put alot of work into it , i read that they hired actual physicists to help with some of the details of how the technology could work

i really hope alan wake 2 will be really great in terms of story

Last edited:

Goon_Bong

Really good thread OP, bookmarked and will have another gander tomorrow when I’m up, seems to be some good suggestions here.

Tenet's story was dogshit. As was its story-telling. It was an awful movie with an interesting premise that failed to stick the landing.

Inception was cool, but the story wasn't complex at all.

There are already many games with multi-layered stories. Not all of them nail their attempt though... same as with movies that attempt it.

Sometimes it's just best to tell a simple story but to do it well then try something multi-layered and fail miserably.

samoilaaa

I used to think this but these days I think games need to focus on what is unique about them - gameplay.

Leave the stories for books and films imo.
i understand what you are saying but there is no reason to not have both , i played recently devil may cry 5 and both the gameplay and the story was really good , especially the gameplay

i mostly play rpgs so a good story is important , me personally i cant play a 50 hour rpg if the story is crap , i just cant , i need to care about the characters , their motives to make me move forward , if i dont find the characters interesting then i see no reason to move forward , an example would be AC valhalla , that game could have had the best combat posible , it wouldnt have been enough to make me finish the game with such a dull story and characters

in a game like trine 4 ( i finished it recently ) story isnt very important , i had alot of fun solving puzzles and moving from one level to another , or lets say a game like elden ring where the main focus is the dificulty , become better to beat all the bosses

Last edited:
People really forgot that Remedy exists? Almost everything Sam Lake touches is reminiscent of those complex and engaging, big Hollywood sci-fi, suspense movies...even the story in Alan Wake isn't a "What you see is what you get" type of game; there's much more to it than what's on the surface. Quantum Break might be their biggest game of that type.

Ninja Theory's Hellblade as well. Seems rudimentary on the surface, but by the end, you realise there's a much bigger story there (if you haven't finished it, I won't say what it is, for fear of spoilers), which makes me genuinely intrigued about Hellblade 2.

There are a few writers that can give us that Christopher Nolan-esque experience, albeit more watered down. But, I think eventually, something will give us the Nolan parallel and maybe even up the ante. Soma was really good too. And of course, Kojima has the chops for this sort of thing as well. Their story-telling isn't on Nolan's level though, but I think that might be due to the sheer nature of video games being video games. I think Quantum Break comes closest. If you haven't played it yet, play it!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
For suuuure - but I would even say Xenogears goes even deeper. Straight up mind-blowing stuff. Both are legendary individually.
Xenogears has the incredible gift of being mostly free of the most cringey Japanese tropes and managing to be actually, undisputably adult in some key moments.

It’s easy to point out the mishmash of western religious themes and laugh at almost inevitable characters like Maria and Chu-Chu, but you don’t need to look that far beyond those to see some amazingly solid dialogue and characters. Citan is one of the best video game characters ever written. The game develops its themes in a very realistic way, despite being pure fantasy. Xenogears is leagues better than the work it clearly homages - Evangelion wishes it was as accomplished and comprehensible as Xenogears, and it’s only because the two works belong to such different mediums that Evangelion made it into legend while XG is today a relatively unknown cult game. I’ve never seen another game try the same without inevitably falling foul of anime tropes, excessively convoluted telling, and bad dialogue and design; Chrono Cross probably flew almost as high, but it doesn’t cut as deep. God bless the incomparable freedom devs had at the time.

Top Bottom