• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian McKellen Says It’s ‘Un-American’ for Trump Not to Protect Gay Rights

On TV you have a handful of gay heroes and supporting characters; some who weren't in the comics. With Hollywood, they're sheepish about having the lead character single, let alone gay.

New Mutants and Gotham City Sirens have potential, but who knows.

Pau

Honestly, I haven't even read Elegy! I've definitely been meaning to read more Batwoman, on account of the fact she's one of the very few Batman characters that never really clicked for me...so maybe if I immerse myself in more of her top-tier stories, I'll end up coming around!
You need to go out and get Elegy. :eek:

The metaphors are nice, but the X-Men message is always more of a catch-all "if you're hated or alienated, there are other people out there like you". There are nods, but in the end it's like he says, it's not really related to real world experiences. And those characters in the movies are still all heterosexual too.

The experience of being persecuted for being LGBT is so extremely different than being persecuted for having superpowers that there's only so far you can take it as far as relatability goes. It's important to have gay, black and other minority mutants even if the overall message of the franchise supposedly already covers all of that at once.

Oh, I'm not discounting that just acknowledging at least there was "something" in the movies he was in, even if it was just a pittance.

Eusis

ojmlkkodq4zy.jpg

He's with the enemy.
No, that's just the guy he mugged for his clothes when his old clothes got too dirty. That's what happens when you go into abandoned mines.

Top Bottom