• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICE agents eat breakfast, compliment chef, then arrest 3 workers at MI restaurant

Gleethor

I kind of get the Geatapo comparison if only because this is the kind of arrogant shit you'd see from a Tarantino villain.

Yay home town represent!!! Go Blue!!! I love how shocked people are from back home that this happened, town full of diet racist. Ann arborites still living in that bubble smh...I miss their buffalo chicken salad for sure though. Dick move by ICE, could've just had them report to them instead of pulling them out from work -__-"

joe2187

Banned
Lost two long time chefs in the same day last month. Picked up as they were both going to the local swap meet together.

Collectively 40+ years of working here down the drain, and it has personally affected me since in thier absence my work load has tripled and training/ finding a reliable experienced line cook to take over the two spots im filling myself isnt easy.

Fuck ICE

Buzzman

Banned
bFsTnLH.jpg

Born and raised there. lived there for 25 years (Im 26), city has always been full of diet racism and loves to paint this inclusive picture.

I'm not saying it doesn't have that-- I'm saying it's not where I would expect a diskish ICE raid.

Shit, you were 3 years old when I moved away from A2!

Deepwater

I'm not saying it doesn't have that-- I'm saying it's not where I would expect a diskish ICE raid.

It's not where I would expect an ICE Raid at all. UM administration does well to keep them away lest campus becomes a hostile environment for half the people living there.

I want to get upset...but the 3 arrested are illegal immigrants right? The only part of the story that should upset anyone was the guy who was falsly handcuffed. You can argue eating breakfast there before arresting them was tacky but there's nothing technically wrong with it.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be angry about here. Maybe they were scoping the place out before making their move and decided to eat first? A bit uncouth but not worth getting up-in-arms over.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I keep coming into these threads and I keep seeing Stump having to painstakingly explain the simplest concepts to these dudes.

Deepwater

Yeah, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be angry about here. Maybe they were scoping the place out before making their move and decided to eat first? A bit uncouth but not worth getting up-in-arms over.

people can be upset by disruption of human lives, regardless if someone is here "illegally" or not.

Nah, it's a fucked up move. They usually just wait for you to leave for work and then arrest you a few blocks away. They decided to let them get to work, order food to eat on the clock, give the staff their compliments and then arrest people in front of their coworkers. It's not something huge, but it is fucked.

Mr. X

We need to get some reports on these "detention centers" soon. There's no way they are being treated humanely.

Agreed. Usually LE agencies are pretty subtle back home, but its mostly done to avoid headlines and potentially tainting our "innocent" town's perfect ass image lol. Damn! Nice. I'll probably move back once global warming completely kills winter there in a decade or two haha.

sirap

That's ICE...cold.

I feel bad for the workers, but there's not much they can do without the proper paperwork.

It's a shame for those people who probably just genuinely wanted a better life, but even in super liberal countries that GAF loves like Canada if I was found to be working without a work permit I would be deported too.

That said, they always should be treated humanely and with an understanding of how bad this must feel for them. Don't be an asshole about it even if this is your job to deport people. Applied for a similar job in my country and empathy and understanding of everyone's situations is a key part of the job description.

woodchuck

Doesn't arresting the cooks during their shift also screw over everybody else at the restaurant? Now the restaurant is short staffed the rest of the day.

It's not like these cooks are violent murderers that needed to be arrested right this second.

Also is it more expensive to find, arrest, process, and deport these people who are actually working than it is to let them stay in the country and have them work? I'd love to see some economic studies on this.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nah, it's a fucked up move. They usually just wait for you to leave for work and then arrest you a few blocks away. They decided to let them get to work, order food to eat on the clock, give the staff their compliments and then arrest people in front of their coworkers. It's not something huge, but it is fucked.
The report says they were looking for a different worker who wasn't at work. Then they arrested the guy who had a green card as he was throwing out trash in an alley out back and then arrested more after they fled out the front door. No-one got detained inside the restaurant as far as the report goes.

Dude Abides

Banned
More people need to realize that the "warrants" ICE usually presents aren't real judicial warrants and don't have to be obeyed.

Born and raised there. lived there for 25 years (Im 26), city has always been full of diet racism and loves to paint this inclusive picture.

I think people in general forget how conservative this county is outside of Ann Arbor-Ypsi. Just go out to some of the rural areas or even some outlying Ypsi neighborhoods and watch as you Traitor flags popping up on trucks and houses.

Top Bottom