• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iconic Bosses - who represents their era best.

gunstarhero

Another thread got me thinking about which bosses stand out as icons for their respective era. We hear a lot about Link, Sonic and Mario - but what about the bad guys?

For me, the 16bit era had 2 standout bosses that stood out and left a big impression on me:

Loki
NvJ7GmJ.png

The end boss for Ghouls 'n Ghosts easily stands above all in the 16bit era. At the time, his size and design was AMAZING. It certainly didn't hurt that this game came out so soon after launch - going from any 8bit boss to this was mind boggling at the time.

I recall EGM doing a feature comparing Loki vs. the end boss to Legendary Axe on the Turbograpx 16. Loki won.

Mother Brain
wPt9iVg.gif

Mother Brain takes second place for being iconic in the 16bit era simply because I never saw a visual effect like this before. The first time I got to her, I thought there was something wrong with my TV. :)

I obviously played a lot more Genesis than Super NES and Turbo in the 16bit days. I'll have to think a bit more about the 8bit, 32bit, etc. - but this era stands out to me the most when I think of bosses.

SHODAN is probably the most iconic '90s shooter villain, so I'll go with her. Even people who haven't played the System Shock games recognize her.

latest

Ooccoo

King K Rool from DKC series (SNES)

hqdefault.jpg

Kefka from Final Fantasy (SNES)

hqdefault.jpg

Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid (PSX)

hqdefault.jpg

Sephiroth from FF7 (PSX)

hqdefault.jpg

Ganon from Zelda: OOT (N64)

hqdefault.jpg

Mike fucking Tyson...

punchout333.jpg

Haunted the souls of gamers through out the 8bit era.

Dr. *Ahem* Robotnik:

288456-son1_04.gif

Very iconic from the 16bit generation.

The Hermit

You got The wrong mother brain

latest

Let's do gen by gen

8 bit - Mike Tyson
16 bit - Kefka ( FF 3)
32/64 bit - Psycho Mantis ( mgs) / Ganon(Zelda)
Ps2/Xbox/GCN - Avion ( shadow of colossus)
Ps360Wii - Metroid Prime / Ornstein & Smough

Ooccoo

Probably the most known and iconic:

Bowser from Mario Bros series (NES)

maxresdefault.jpg

Personal favorites

Big Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

hqdefault.jpg

Ramirez last fight from Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast/GC)

maxresdefault.jpg

Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime (GC)

maxresdefault.jpg

nkarafo

Some late 80's, early 90's bosses in arcades:

Newzealand Story
nzs_12_big.jpg

1942boss.gif

Ghouls n Ghosts
ghoulsnghosts-7.png

R-Type (this should represent all side scrolling 2D shoot em ups i suppose)
rtype_1b.gif

RowdyReverb

Sonic Adventure - Chaos
gfs_63168_2_1.jpg

tumblr_mdylx2xsOx1qiemkoo1_500.gif

Part of its design was to introduce a novel visual effect, so I think it demonstrates the console's technical ability well while being the first true 3D Sonic boss

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Ornstein and Smough are the most iconic boss of the last generation.

ornstein_and_smough_by_narox22-d86a4eq.png

It stands out in design, grandeur, difficulty, satisfaction, dynamism, and excitement. It does what a boss should do, which is make success feel deeply gratifying.

MrBadger

Sonic Adventure - Chaos
gfs_63168_2_1.jpg

tumblr_mdylx2xsOx1qiemkoo1_500.gif

Part of its design was to introduce a novel visual effect, so I think it demonstrates the console's technical ability well while being the first true 3D Sonic boss

Oh yeah, Chaos is a good one. I don't think any of the fights are that great besides the final boss, but the entire character was based around what the Dreamcast can do differently

petran79

Banned
Death Adder
During the 80s especially action movies with barbarians, soldiers, ninjas and scantily clad women were all over the place. Video games as well. That boss was the culmination

hqdefault.jpg

Drax was the Western boss equivalent

2647401-barbarian.gif

eso76

Another thread got me thinking about which bosses stand out as icons for their respective era. We hear a lot about Link, Sonic and Mario - but what about the bad guys?

Terminator, Alien and ED209 or whatever that bypedal robot from Robocop was called defined the 80s. They were the inspiration for most bosses.

I remember mid 90s we got tons of bosses looking like Keith Flint from the Prodigy :lol

I second psycho mantis as one of the greatest boss fights ever. If u were there at that time, your mind was blown.

Also devil may cry 1 final boss was epic.

SSF2T_M._Bison.gif

When I was a kid, it was this mother fuck. Imagine the look on my face when he was playable.

Then, as time went on, this dude defined a part of my childhood too. Mostly because of his awful speech in the beginning.

tengu_1.jpg

But man, when I played Yakuza 2, this boss fight fucking took that shit to another level.

maxresdefault.jpg

But besides the ones mentioned here, I really gotta hand it to this guy for a semi-recent one:

029484.jpg

The atmosphere, the buildup, and then getting to that arena to face him was so cool. Like the whole game prepared you for this huge fight with him in so many ways, and it was just awe inspiring. There was more at stake besides your "heart", but fuck it, right at that moment, you just wanted to open that ass and get it back.

KingBroly

Banned
Bowser - Super Mario World
- I know people will point to SMB1 here, but the Koopa Kopter was so damn memorable back in the day. It made Bowser seem more menacing, especially with MODE SEVEN GRAPHICS.

MrBadger

Bowser - Super Mario World
- I know people will point to SMB1 here, but the Koopa Kopter was so damn memorable back in the day. It made Bowser seem more menacing, especially with MODE SEVEN GRAPHICS.

I don't think "menacing" is the right word I'd use for a flying machine with a big dumb clown face on it but I agree that it's a super memorable design.

Bowser in Yoshi's Island on the other hand, that's menacing.

Top Bottom