• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'd like to see more pre-rendered backgrounds in games

Bl@de

Resident Evil 2 Remake with 4-8K prerendered backgrounds (so that it will look good in a couple of years) would be amazing. But I have no real hope for that :(

WolvenOne

Agreed.

Mind you, I certainly don't think pre-rendered backgrounds should be the end all, but if they're well done the result can be fascinating to look at. Plus, generally it's a whole lot easier on whatever computer the game is running on.

DOWN

Banned
lol @ these "but games look good now" comments

pre-rendered backgrounds are over some people's heads a bit in concept. pre-rendered backgrounds could give us 8K studio CGI levels of imaginative environments and top tier character models. They absolutely can still benefit select modern game designs.

lol @ these "but games look good now" comments

pre-rendered backgrounds are over some people's heads a bit in concept. pre-rendered backgrounds could give us 8K studio CGI levels of imaginative environments and top tier character models. They absolutely can still benefit select modern game designs.

And when we play them in the future when 8k is considered low-res?

Neiteio

And when we play them in the future when 8k is considered low-res?
Honestly, I think the pre-rendered games from the PSX era still look better than the real-time 3D games that have been upscaled.

And maybe they can just start with higher-res source material and downscale it, i.e. a 16k image downsized to 8k. That way, in the 16k future, you have something ready that works.

Honestly, I think the pre-rendered games from the PSX era still look better than the real-time 3D games that have been upscaled.

If someone's going to play an old 3D game upscaled, they should consider taking five seconds to peek into the options menu to set the game's resolution to a more modern value.

I'd beg to differ. Almost all the PS1-era CG I see looks sterile and uncanny as fuck.

I love what Bravely Default did. The backgrounds were technically in 3D, but the various geometrical elements were cardboard cutouts with pre-rendered images on them instead of having real depth.

sLg05Cm.gif

Damn came to post some Bravely Default love.

Neiteio

If someone's going to play an old 3D game upscaled, they should consider taking five seconds to peek into the options menu to set the game's resolution to a more modern value.

I'd beg to differ. Almost all the PS1-era CG I see looks sterile and uncanny as fuck.
Oh, that's what I mean. Of course the IQ will look clean, but if you take a 3D PSX game and set it to 1080p, for example, I still don't think it looks as interesting as a more detailed (albeit blurry due to fixed resolution) pre-rendered backdrop.

And like I said, if they just make the original pre-rendered images at ultra-high resolutions in the first place, they can anticipate several generations' worth of resolution increases.

Gitaroo

I don't think we need pre rendered backgrounds this day and age. As nice as the 2D background looks in RE0 remaster, I prefer the background in until dawn way more and easily looks just as nice with dynamic camera not some pan and scan garbage. And remember UD is only a second gen game. Pre rendered background has way too many limitation, especially mixing them up with with real time 3d models. Some of that was just bad in both of the RE remastered as it loose a lot of the jump scare moment because you can clearly tell something is going to happen with the real time 3D models laying on top of the 2D background.

Peltz

No.

It's a guaranteed way to carbon-date your game when decades later someone decides to play it on their toaster at the pathetically low resolution of 8k and finds the game to be extraordinarily pixelated to high hell, even more than how 8k looks compared to 16k down sampling. And so he decides to flex his Titan Y (God knows why he hasn't upgraded to a Titan Z yet, the Y's a decade old) and play the game down sampled from 16k. Nope, game is still pixelated, with out of place clear objects standing out. Oh, what is that, a remaster/mod that has high resolution backgrounds? Oh they're just upscaled. Now it's blurry and lacking in definition, with tiling if it's an SE game.

3D environments aren't just the future, they're future-proof.

Meh... That's why scalers were made.

I can play PS1 games on my HDTV with an XRGB-mini and it looks pretty darn great.

Besides, all of those resolutions you mentioned are multiples of 1080p. Everything should scale cleanly with no pixelization from here on out.

That's why 1080p footage still looks perfect on 4K displays.

Neiteio

I don't think we need pre rendered backgrounds this day and age. As nice as the 2D background looks in RE0 remaster, I prefer the background in until dawn way more and easily looks just as nice with dynamic camera not some pan and scan garbage. And remember UD is only a second gen game. Pre rendered background has way too many limitation, especially mixing them up with with real time 3d models. Some of that was just bad in both of the RE remastered as it loose a lot of the jump scare moment because you can clearly tell something is going to happen with the real time 3D models laying on top of the 2D background.
You're comparing a next-gen game to a remaster of a game from two generations ago.

We don't know how amazing a pre-rendered game made from the ground up for PS4 would look because no one has really tried with a comparable budget.

I bet you it would look amazing.

I agree with you OP. It's weird but I much prefer my RPG's to have fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds. Might just be nostalgia talking, but Final Fantasy 7 through to 10 still look great to me because of that. I don't know if 10 has pre-rendered backgrounds to be fair, can't really remember.

Fixed camera angles provide a mechanism for stylistic direction that doesn't exist with free camera. Prerendered backgrounds also allow for incredible detail..

Sigh, bring it all back.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, but more due to what they have been historcally associated with: Fixed camera angles. The added direction those give are great for certain genres, like Survival Horror, obviously.

Should bring back tank controls too.

Top Bottom