• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idea for a new Naughty Dog IP (Warning: Uncharted 4 endgame spoilers)

While I would love to see Naughty Dog tackle the sci-fi or buddy cop genres most (maybe both combined?), there's one genre I think they could excel at and I think if they do it, Uncharted 4 could sort of be seen as a prototype version of it: Pirates. With Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell no Tales coming out on Blu-Ray soon, I recall while watching the movie, thinking some of the set pieces felt like something you'd find in an Uncharted game. Then I remembered Uncharted 4 dealt heavily with piracy (Henry Avery and the fabled Gunsway heist) and the
final boss fight between Nate and Rafe took place on a burning pirate ship while they fought each other with swords
. I just think Naughty Dog would come up with a wonderfully fun pirate adventure and build off of (and improve on) what they introduced in Uncharted 4. Would you want to see what Naughty Dog would create with a cinematic game set in the age of piracy?

(I went ahead and spoiler tagged the Uncharted 4 endgame stuff for good measure)

sujay

If I recall, part of Amy Hennig's original plan was
to flash back to Henry Avery's time and be a playable character
during parts of Uncharted 4, which I always thought was a cool idea. But apparently it was too ambitious and too much work to pull it off properly. I was also expecting
reanimated skeletons ala Pirates of the Caribbean
towards the end of Uncharted 4. I agree with you, they could totally pull off something cool with that. But I'm fine with whatever we get!

If I recall, part of Amy Hennig's original plan was
to flash back to Henry Avery's time and be a playable character
during parts of Uncharted 4, which I always thought was a cool idea. But apparently it was too ambitious and too much work to pull it off properly. I was also expecting
reanimated skeletons ala Pirates of the Caribbean
towards the end of Uncharted 4. I agree with you, they could totally pull off something cool with that. But I'm fine with whatever we get!

Yup. But if they did go the pirate route, I'd prefer the tone to be similar to POTC than something more realistic. Fun and funny, with moments of great action and adventure. And an awesome, swashbuckling score. There were moments in the Uncharted 4 soundtrack that seemed quite POTC-y. Which sort of makes sense, as Henry Jackman is associated with Hans Zimmers' Remote Control Productions.

areyoume.jpg

But rather than thinking about it as a new IP idea, I was thinking that if ND really, really wanted to continue the Uncharted IP/brand...

It'd be cool if it's something like a Francis Drake prequel storylines that is effectively Uncharted x Black Flag.

As much as I like TLL, I'd rather see a new take that is effectively a new IP.

Top Bottom