• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idea for removing unskippable screens when booting up a game (publisher logos, game engine licenses etc)

Amiga

This is my area within the industry. Not going to happen. The amount of legal attention that goes into these games is nuts. Just 1 can hold your game back from submission to all 3. We literally have to have internal lawyers do legal passes to approve the game going forward.

The worst are credits. Sometimes during dev some smart ass will incorrectly spell EU names wrong and that easily accounts for a new build.

How about minimizing the logo screen and having game options start on the side?

Kimahri

Banned
I rarely see them more than once these days due to quick resume. Man I'd love that feature on other consoles and pc.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
How about minimizing the logo screen and having game options start on the side?
These screens are created by the manufacturers and developers. They then decide how long each legal screen should be presented on screen. After they come to an agreement they sign off and enter them as either an TRC, or a TCR or Lot check(Nintendo) on submission forms and are labeled as the highest form of a violation..

What they have done with each generation is become more lenient as in on first boot the hand off from hardware to software must require that the initial legal screens be presented without any interruption by the end user. After that any other boot up is bypass able. Not all titles do this because legal teams just want to save their ass but I have seen it.

Fuz

Banned
I just delete the movie files.

These screens are created by the manufacturers and developers. They then decide how long each legal screen should be presented on screen. After they come to an agreement they sign off and enter them as either an TRC, or a TCR or Lot check(Nintendo) on submission forms and are labeled as the highest form of a violation..

What they have done with each generation is become more lenient as in on first boot the hand off from hardware to software must require that the initial legal screens be presented without any interruption by the end user. After that any other boot up is bypass able. Not all titles do this because legal teams just want to save their ass but I have seen it.
I don't understand the reasoning behind this at all.

Drew1440

Something I've noticed going from the sixth onto the seventh generation was company logos went from animated short clips to just static logos.
Like EA Games, a lot of people recognise the 'It's in the game' or 'challange everything'

Or Namco

Or 2K

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I just delete the movie files.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this at all.
Manufacturers and game devs want you to know who helped develop their game at the forefront. It's basically an advertisement so that they can grow. You wouldn't know who bluepoint was if they didn't notify you from the beginning that this is their game from the jump.

It's no different from you turning on your TV, phone, car, or anything. It's a legal partnership between manufacturers, developers and publishers.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Amiga

Manufacturers and game devs want you to know who helped develop their game at the forefront. It's basically an advertisement so that they can grow. You wouldn't know who bluepoint was if they didn't notify you from the beginning that this is their game from the jump.

It's no different from you turning on your TV, phone, car, or anything. It's a legal partnership between manufacturers, developers and publishers.
How did Netflix manage to make a "skip intro" option? and they minimize at the end credits and give an option to skip credits and start something else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In modern warfare 2 (the first one) you could hammer x and just skip through them all and get straight to the main menu.
Even better, that game gave you an option to go right to the MP lobby.

As for all of media always self promoting themselves, it is a weird thing. Look around your house. Most stuff you own doesn't have the brand name on it at all. And nowhere in the instruction manual (if it has one like lets say you bought a new BBQ) does it ever say who made it.

To me, the key reason why media always has all this crap is for egotistical self promotion. As people said above a lot of this is bound in legal issues where TV shows and movies have to show credits to some degree, so at some point it all got written up in agreements. Which is even weirder because depending on the content, some will show only the main cast and crew, but others will show a laundry list of 1,000 people including even the caterer who supplied the lunches.

The only industry in the world where there's mandatory logos and credits plastered everywhere.

Technically every product you buy the company could jam in a small leaflet saying who the CEO is and all the way down to the janitor is cleaning the toilets, but you never see that. Or at minimum on their web page, list everyone involved. Never see it.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
How did Netflix manage to make a "skip intro" option? and they minimize at the end credits and give an option to skip credits and start something else.
That's a different industry. The gaming industry abides by compliance rules per 3 manufacturers.

The PC realm is a different story as well. More laxed

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's just the entertainment industry and the incessant need for recognition and praise for everyone who works in it, netflix realises nobody cares about hour long credits and if someone really wants to know something about the movie, they'll just look it up themselves.
I used to work for a small studio years ago and they didn't do credits, and it's honestly better that way, these endless lists of people serve no real purpose other than to be entirely self-congratulatory; like everything else in entertainment, it's detached from reality.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's just the entertainment industry and the incessant need for recognition and praise for everyone who works in it, netflix realises nobody cares about hour long credits and if someone really wants to know something about the movie, they'll just look it up themselves.
I used to work for a small studio years ago and they didn't do credits, and it's honestly better that way, these endless lists of people serve no real purpose other than to be entirely self-congratulatory; like everything else in entertainment, it's detached from reality.
Nature of the industry (media). Very emotional people needing pats on the back. I can actually understand small studios like the one you worked at doing it for sake of getting the name out there for survival for the next project. But for big productions and corporations, it's a weird thing to do.

I've worked at big companies my whole career and also do investment properties on the side. The products at the store, or the promo brochure of the new condo will have the builder's name or brand name on it for sake of corporate marketing, but I dont think in life I've ever seen any employee names attached to them. Not even the VP of Marketing or R&D people who made it. No customers or employees care.

Just imagine if every time you powered on your TV, LG, Samsung, Sony etc... made every customer go through a credits page of 1,000s of people who helped design and sell the TV.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I rarely see them more than once these days due to quick resume. Man I'd love that feature on other consoles and pc.
AFAIK both ps5 and xs has quick resume?

Pc kinda has its own thing hy being able to disable it

Fbh

While we are at it can we also add 2 additional system wide toggles for every game?:

1: "Im aware flashing lights can trigger seizures in a small percentage of people please dont warn me every time"

2: "yes I know almost every game uses autosave now and I know how it works. Stop explaining it every time"

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned

Cause they have leverage.

Just like a big platform holder like Microsoft and Sony has too.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Cause they have leverage.

Just like a big platform holder like Microsoft and Sony has too.
They do but they don't. They both mandate at least on first handshake between HW os to software that the title properly display their splash screens.

A.Romero

I don't mind them. I use the rest feature most of the time.

I do hate launch screens on PC. Its unbelievable that they can't do away with them in 2022. It really fucks the big screen experience.

Braag

I don't mind them having that crap show when you boot up the game but at least make it skippable and fast to get through.
I love how they advertise how with current SSDs you can jump into game super fast but first you gotta watch 5 mins of unskippable crap.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It doesn’t really bother me too much as long as it isn’t too egregious. At the end of the day, the people involved making the game deserve the recognition.

I mean if you have quick resume, it’s moot if it’s one of several titles you are playing and at the most it will ask a whole minute of your valuable time.

LordCBH

Killzone shadowfall didn’t show any startup logos and I fucking loved it. No one out there gives a shit about speedtree or whatever the fuck it is. Put all that shit in the credits and be done with it.

Top Bottom