• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle games are evolving...

Durden77

Idle games or "tappers" have been becoming more prominent. "Games" like Tap Titans, Time Clickers, ect. if you don't know, are experiences where your main goal is to watch numbers go up. Tap/click the screen to make the numbers go up, and get to the point to where you can actually have other characters or other means to do the tapping for you so you eventually pretty much don't do anything and just watch numbers go up.

xYyqgB9.jpg

They can be...quite unnerving in how addictive they are....

Well recently a new game has hit mobile called Nonstop Knight. This is another idle game in the same vain, but has a new twist. Your character actually moves and progresses through dungeons. He attacks enemies on his own, and you activate his powers.

LyJRJhU.jpg

The really interesting part about this game is how much the developers have made it feel like an actual...well....game. Your character automatically moves through the dungeon, but in a natural way that feels almost as if a player is controlling him. He cuts corners, and approaches enemies in a way that seems as though someone is on the sticks. The enemies seem as though they are actually roaming the dungeon, and approach you in a way that makes them feel real
. In short, it's an on-rails game that does not feel as though it is on rails.

This is getting a bit creepy. I almost feel like I'm playing an actual game now just because of additions like this. It's like MMO combat with auto attack and just the addition of auto movment as well. And it makes me question where these games can go. Now that they are capable of moving beyond static set pieces, will we eventually see a FPS like Destiny that explores and shoots and does all the grinding for you, but you just activate the powers?

Could we possibly even see some AAA titles eventually developed like this? Now that they are beginning to learn, is this the end of video games as we know it? Do we need to take shelter?

Brb gotta check on my Knight.

Robin64

I've spent a silly amount of time "playing" AdVenture Capitalist on Steam. It's actually embarassing at this point.

But really though, original Progress Quest for life.

I'm not sure how a type of game doing things over and over again but with a little twist each time can be considered an evolving genre.
It's like calling Call of Duty innovative.

I'm not sure how a type of game doing things over and over again but with a little twist each time can be considered an evolving genre.
It's like calling Call of Duty innovative.

...I would argue a new entry in any given genre with a twist is the definition of an evolving genre.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Clicker games are interesting in a way because it boils down the whole problem > action > reward loop into its most basic parts. It's so blatantly obvious what the game wants you to do, it's equally obvious that clickers require far less effort to make than other games, and it's equally obvious that you're wasting your time... and yet it feels good to play it anyway. It's the junk food of video games.

And even with how stripped-down the genre is, there are still good clicker games and bad ones. I think Time Clickers is still my favorite one. I'll try out that knight thing though - sounds interesting, even though I know I'll hate myself in the end.

DrArchon

Clicker games are damn insidious in their design. I swear that I'll never play one of them because I just know I'll get addicted to seeing the numbers go up. It's like the pure distilled version of any loot driven game where you don't care about the story, which I've gotten addicted to plenty of times.

Calabi

Are these even games? I've been playing the simpsons tapped out, I mean it's compelling but I'm not sure if I'm having fun or really doing anything.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Are these even games? I've been playing the simpsons tapped out, I mean it's compelling but I'm not sure if I'm having fun or really doing anything.
I don't think Simpsons tapped out really counts as a clicker game. It's more like a super simple Simcity with shitty mobile game timers attached.

I think Cookie Clicker is a much better example of an idling/clicker game. It's free and can be played from a browser.

I am guilty. :p
I try new clickers all the time cause they're really great ways to waste a couple minutes when you're waiting for something.

Been playing Nonstop Knight for a few days now. It's a refreshing clicker so I'll probs stick with it for a bit.

TheGrue

I am not sure what I am missing with clickers. I tried some clicker on iOS that everyone was raving about and I just sat there wondering why anyone would play it. I was just tapping the screen over and over and not sure why.

Pachael

Clicker games are interesting in a way because it boils down the whole problem > action > reward loop into its most basic parts. It's so blatantly obvious what the game wants you to do, it's equally obvious that clickers require far less effort to make than other games, and it's equally obvious that you're wasting your time... and yet it feels good to play it anyway. It's the junk food of video games.

And even with how stripped-down the genre is, there are still good clicker games and bad ones. I think Time Clickers is still my favorite one. I'll try out that knight thing though - sounds interesting, even though I know I'll hate myself in the end.

Yeah, I admit I've gotten myself addicted to it, but at its core is that similar game progression 'on-rails'. These days it's not unlike going through side quests with the get news > get X items > return > get loot/XP routine.

Clickers are literally the hard drugs of video games. They're soooo addicting and feel so satisfying.... but you should probably stop otherwise your life will start to fall apart.

I'm not gonna though

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Check out Idling to Rule the Gods on steam if you want an in-depth idle game.
In fact, it may be too in-depth for many people.

Checking out the getting started guide on steam is a must.

I do wish it had more art, and better art. But mechanically it's amazing.

butalala

I've been playing Cookie Clicker for 8376 hours, according to the game timer. I am on the verge of quitting because I feel vaguely disgusted with myself because of it. I'll definitely quit when I leave my current job in July, because I only do it while I'm at work.

I can't do any of them besides Cookie Clicker, because most others have too short intervals between when you can do more actions. That shit messes with my brain, so I stay away.

That being said, my Cookie Clicker game has been going non stop for close to three years.

I've been playing Cookie Clicker for 8376 hours, according to the game timer. I am on the verge of quitting because I feel vaguely disgusted with myself because of it. I'll definitely quit when I leave my current job in July, because I only do it while I'm at work.

When Candy Box hit my entire team at work was playing it. A couple of us went overboard and had it running in VMs so we could get all that sweet sweet candy. I had TeamViewer set up for my home PC so I could have Cookie Clicker going at all times.

Calabi

I don't think Simpsons tapped out really counts as a clicker game. It's more like a super simple Simcity with shitty mobile game timers attached.

I think Cookie Clicker is a much better example of an idling/clicker game. It's free and can be played from a browser.

But there's no Simulation aspect to the Simpsons. The people just walk around randomly and play out animations. It's more a town designer I suppose.

Cronee

Damnit. I swore off these games because every single one preloads ad videos each time you run the app, which demolishes my data. Does this one do the same thing?

Durden77

Damnit. I swore off these games because every single one preloads ad videos each time you run the app, which demolishes my data. Does this one do the same thing?

If you mean the "watch this video for goodies" shit then yes it has that. A bit fewer and far between though. Mot sure if they're preloaded though.

Holy crap I just downloaded Nonstop Knight because of this thread and it's so fun. It's quite hilarious how it plays itself to the point that your knight will keep on fighting even when you turn the game off

I love clickers, they are the best!

yep

idle games/clickers are super fun when done well, and despite being relatively easy to make it's also incredibly easy to make a bad one, one that doesn't reward players often enough or doesn't change things up enough

I'm not really in a position to be messing with my phone throughout the day but I'd love another quality browser clicker/idle game; a few years ago I loved logging into Skyrates, setting up a route for my planes, upgrading stuff, and letting things happen in real time as I checked in occasionally for combat or switching things up.

I miss that :(

Tigress

It and fallout shelter are both clicker games with some power to design the set. But the main gameplay is clicking things to get rewards so you can build more stuff that will make more things you have to click to get more rewards. But how you get the rewards is click things when they pop up. And part of the reward is being able to build more. But the clicking is what gets you that stuff. And of course wait between clicks and incentives to pay for microtransactions that get you ways to get things quicker (or in Fallout Shelter's case get the lunchboxes quicker which is 90% of the way you'll get unique characters or weapons to give your characters).

Durden77

yep

idle games/clickers are super fun when done well, and despite being relatively easy to make it's also incredibly easy to make a bad one, one that doesn't reward players often enough or doesn't change things up enough

I'm not really in a position to be messing with my phone throughout the day but I'd love another quality browser clicker/idle game; a few years ago I loved logging into Skyrates, setting up a route for my planes, upgrading stuff, and letting things happen in real time as I checked in occasionally for combat or switching things up.

I miss that :(

Tap Titans is probably the most solid of all the pure clicker games I've played of late. I'd recommend it. I played Time Clickers for a while but it was just too sterile. Too many cubes.

Top Bottom