• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs episode 93 - Baby-Wall the Horse Armo

Lijik

The future of games is weird

Episode 93: "Baby-Wall the Horse Armor"
2bMk67o.png

• This week on Idle Thumbs Sean incessantly burns things, Chris gets lost in a world of bespoke puzzles, and Jake talks about a video game he's played. Plus we talk about all the stuff Gabe Newell's been talking about..
  • Games Discussed: SimCity, Spore, Little Inferno, Antichamber, The Unfinished Swan, Robo-toaster Tycoon
Listen on Idlethumbs.net
Direct MP3 download
Mediafire Mirror

About Idle Thumbs
Idle Thumbs is a podcast - about video games! Running since 2008, Idle Thumbs is currently a weekly podcast in which three friends who work in the industry talk about games, things tangentially related to games, and things not at all related to games. Readers can expect in-depth enthusiastic discussions, equally enthusiastic riffs on tangential silliness, and anything in between.
Recently Idle Thumbs has expanded into a network which includes 3 Moves Ahead and the Idle Book Club. Additionally the Thumbs ocassionally stream themselves playing games Saturdays on their TwitchTV account.

WErty.png

Important Links
Idle Thumbs on iTunes
RSS Feed
The Idle Thumbs Website
Full Podcast Archive
Fully Annotated Podcast Archive on Youtube
TwitchTV Stream Archive
Official Idle Thumbs forums
3 Moves Ahead
3 Moves Ahead Gaf Thread
Idle Book Club
Idle Thumbs on Twitch TV
goty.cx

Jex

I really couldn't handle the presidential pet name talk, I imagine people on the bus thought I was some kind of lunatic.

DJ_Lae

I really couldn't handle the presidential pet name talk, I imagine people on the bus thought I was some kind of lunatic.

I take this chance whenever I listen to Idle Thumbs though.

I feel the worst when I'm walking around downtown during my breaks listening to the podcast and I burst out laughing at something right when I walk past someone. I'm sure they think I'm laughing at them.

Sean reads GAF but never posts.

Sean brings it during this episode.

Sean redeemed.

Also Chris, I think you need to play Dead Space 3. It might cater to you in some way.

EDIT: how ballin' would it be if Obama would get two new dogs and call them Ying Yang Twins.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I can't believe there are people who don't like Sean.

Sure, he's new, he's not Steve, he's not F. Nick Breckon, but the man invented Mickey Mouse and wrote a GOTY!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It never occurred to me that the Spore team is the Sim City team. I now have a head ache.

Rufus

In case that was about anything I said: I'm just direct. I don't hate Sean.

Sorry, Sean.

Thank you, Sean.

Anyway...

RE: Kid's logic
A semantics professor once told us about an encounter he had with a kid in Japan. The kid pointed at him as he was walking down the road and asked his parents "Is that a human?". He apparently had never seen a foreigner, so the category just didn't include non-Japanese people. Reasonable assumption given the information he had to work with.

JeTmAn81

I had a private chuckle at one of the guys repeatedly mispronouncing "segue" because I used to do the same thing. Also, presidential pet talk was great.

I can't believe there are people who don't like Sean.

Sure, he's new, he's not Steve, he's not F. Nick Breckon, but the man invented Mickey Mouse and wrote a GOTY!

My only qualm with him is that he tends to limit the non-sequitur conversations because he gets dead set on making his point heard. Part of the beauty of Idle Thumbs is delivering in depth and intellectual conversations about games and then suddenly veering off into a 10 min escapade about Shadow and the Colossus.

Once he gets used to belaying his point for the sake of humor, I think he'll be just fine.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, Sean's pretty stupidly handsome and talented. Someone like that shouldn't be that into Dota 2. Boooooo.

Sober

Haven't listened to the episode yet but does anyone have links to the Gabe talks earlier this week? I also happened to miss those but it seems like recommending watching/listening before diving into this episode.

Wow, the Sony Jail discussion is so timely. I was just thinking I want to play Journey, but I want to stop supporting console exclusives (I'll probably still end up buying it). I also completely forgot about Unfinished Swan and doubt I'll buy it because of it being only on PSN, which is a shame.

Haven't listened to the episode yet but does anyone have links to the Gabe talks earlier this week? I also happened to miss those but it seems like recommending watching/listening before diving into this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU

the Little Inferno discussion is hard to listen to because sean didn't get to the real game.

How long does it take to get to the real game? He said he played for three hours. I feel like if you play something for multiple hours, you are necessarily playing the real game, even if there is also different stuff later.

Rahk

the Little Inferno discussion is hard to listen to because sean didn't get to the real game.
Real game? I finished it and it's pretty much the same game the whole way through. I didn't unlock every single achievement (or whatever they're called) if that matters though. And I haven't listened to the discussion yet.

Jintor

How long does it take to get to the real game? He said he played for three hours. I feel like if you play something for multiple hours, you are necessarily playing the real game, even if there is also different stuff later.

At around the 30 hour mark the game opens up and you can start switching your job class and equipping armour and stuff

can't get the horse armour without dropping $2 tho

Lijik

I really hope you're not insinuating that the
last like five minutes of the three hours where its an adventure game
is the "real" game. Because it just flat out isn't.

Rahk

I really hope you're not insinuating that the
last like five minutes of the three hours where its an adventure game
is the "real" game. Because it just flat out isn't.
Agreed, and I would hardly call it an adventure game.

I was being slightly flippant but there's a thing that happens towards the end that is kind of a big deal.
I doubt the conversation would have been significantly different had he made it that far. It certainly doesn't invalidate any of the points he made and he was quite positive about it anyway so not sure why it would be hard to listen to, unless you were waiting for him to address it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, I've effectively finished Miasmata. Great game. It evokes a feeling of being a place really, really effectively. Probably because of how super specific it is about what it simulates. There's no ridiculous Skyrim NPC at the end of a swamp path telling me their story, or something.

An episode or two ago, Chris mentioned that he saw a room in the game that affected him somehow? I still have no idea what that's in reference to.

Top Bottom