• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs episode 95 - HD Cool Spot

Lijik

SimCity, Gabe Newell's arm, and how long one can play Zuma

Episode 95: "H.D. Cool Spot"
HmzbnW4.png

• Your first choice runs ahead, sliding over the embankment and out of your sight, lost to the sparkling dunes. Your second choice is fine, but seems preoccupied with aesthetic decisions made by architects of the future, and he too fails you with time. Resigned, you accept your fate. Your third choice. The worst choice. Video Games.
  • Games Discussed: Karateka, Anno 2070, SimCity Beta, Journey, Zuma Deluxe, The Receiver, H.D. Cool Spot
Listen on Idlethumbs.net
Direct MP3 download
Mediafire Mirror

About Idle Thumbs
Idle Thumbs is a podcast - about video games! Running since 2008, Idle Thumbs is currently a weekly podcast in which three friends who work in the industry talk about games, things tangentially related to games, and things not at all related to games. Readers can expect in-depth enthusiastic discussions, equally enthusiastic riffs on tangential silliness, and anything in between.
Recently Idle Thumbs has expanded into a network which includes 3 Moves Ahead and the Idle Book Club. Additionally the Thumbs ocassionally stream themselves playing games Saturdays on their TwitchTV account.

WErty.png

Important Links
Idle Thumbs on iTunes
RSS Feed
The Idle Thumbs Website
Full Podcast Archive
Fully Annotated Podcast Archive on Youtube
TwitchTV Stream Archive
Official Idle Thumbs forums
3 Moves Ahead
3 Moves Ahead Gaf Thread
Idle Book Club
Idle Thumbs on Twitch TV
goty.cx

Mit-

Someone please draw Gabe Newell with pincer claw machine arm holding a large bloated bloody severed human arm, asking to shake his hand with a creepy stare on his face.

rexor0717

Ok, so when the question about wives came up, they mentioned Chris's relationship with candy, I thought they really said, "Chris's relationship with Candy." I totally thought he was married to someone named Candy for a few minutes.

Sheeshor

Banned
Ok, so when the question about wives came up, they mentioned Chris's relationship with candy, I thought they really said, "Chris's relationship with Candy." I totally thought he was married to someone named Candy for a few minutes.

HAHA. The same thing happened to me for a few seconds and I thought only I could be so dumb.

ArjanN

What's funny about Chris being stuck on the last level of Zuma for years, is that once you beat that you unlock the actually hard difficulty.

What's funny about Chris being stuck on the last level of Zuma for years, is that once you beat that you unlock the actually hard difficulty.

Yeah, after going home I actually immediately completed stage 12 and then got to the space level. I then remembered I had already gotten there a bunch of times before, but you can't just START on it, you have to beat stage 12 every time. What the fuck!?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if stuff like this gets back to gaben. Just imagine Sean finally gets to meet the man in person and he's like "Sean Vanaman, oh you're that claw hand guy"

I was never really big on Zuma but I've played other PopCap games and to this day can't fathom how people find stuff like Peggle addictive. Sure I got hooked on it once I started playing but I just beat it in one sitting and never touched it again, same with Peggle 2 and Plants vs Zombies (11 hours long sitting is not something you want to do with a game like PvZ XD).

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one that'll just eat all the candy that's nearby despite not really craving for it.

Jake

I wonder if stuff like this gets back to gaben. Just imagine Sean finally gets to meet the man in person and he's like "Sean Vanaman, oh you're that claw hand guy"

I was never really big on Zuma but I've played other PopCap games and to this day can't fathom how people find stuff like Peggle addictive. Sure I got hooked on it once I started playing but I just beat it in one sitting and never touched it again, same with Peggle 2 and Plants vs Zombies (11 hours long sitting is not something you want to do with a game like PvZ XD).

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one that'll just eat all the candy that's nearby despite not really craving for it.
Zuma is measurably more skill based than Peggle, but it's still a ridiculous game to eat your entire life.

I'd rather play that old Sega Cool Spot game over Journey, but I'd probably rather watch someone play Journey than watch someone play Cool Spot. I think that says something about modern game design, but I'm not sure what.

It's good to know that one must lock down their candy when Chris Remo's on patrol, lest that opportunistic glutton rob you of your supply of Twix and Snicker's.

Shaneus

I'd rather play that old Sega Cool Spot game over Journey, but I'd probably rather watch someone play Journey than watch someone play Cool Spot. I think that says something about modern game design, but I'm not sure what.

It's good to know that one must lock down their candy when Chris Remo's on patrol, lest that opportunistic glutton rob you of your supply of Twix and Snicker's.
Dave Perry back in the day was a goddamn platformer-creating legend. Cool Spot, Mega Drive/Genesis Aladdin, Lion King, EWJ... all beautiful examples of good 16-bit gaming. Pretty sure he did some platformers as well, but they're the ones I remember playing the crap out of.

It looks like the Amiga version may be the definitive Cool Spot port, but no 7up logo? (<3 tracker music to death)

PS. Holy shit, this episode's been uploaded and catalogued ALREADY. Props to whoever it is who's doing them, that's ridiculous. It was posted two days ago, too!

Top Bottom