• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Anno

A pretty good amount of the games they discuss are cross-platform. And really what I think separates the podcast from most others is the way they see games and analyze and talk about them. They play plenty of games that I don't but I still enjoy listening to because everyone is smart and talks about interesting things.

Anno

I've started trying to figure out the episode name while listening and I got both Chill Hell and Memeify McCree right. Too predictable!

Ha didn't Jake straight say Chill Hell was the name of the title to help propagate some weird alcoholic drink contest in the forums?

Anksta

They talked about it either on one of the recent casts or one of their streams. They wanted to slim the regular setup down to just Nick/Chris/Jake to make scheduling easier.

I must have missed that. That's a bummer - I hope he'll still come on from time to time. Though I think its been over 6 months since he was last on there.

thenexus6

^The Youtube archive has some real bad audio sync issues past the one hour mark :(

Yeah it does.. I watched about 3.5 hours on the stream then caught up with the last hour on youtube this morning. But the sync made it a little difficult. Stream has really great though. I didn't watch right to the end due to those audio sync issues on youtube - I hope they said about doing a part two stream.

They talked about it either on one of the recent casts or one of their streams. They wanted to slim the regular setup down to just Nick/Chris/Jake to make scheduling easier.

Thats a shame, I hope Sean and Spaff both pop in every once in a while still.

Rufus

I was going to correct you and say it was Little Big Planet, but it turns out that had a different issue:
http://kotaku.com/5065076/littlebigplanet-faces-worldwide-recall-for-quran-references

The "Islam is the light" thing came from a doll:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dolltalk.asp

In conclusion, human memory is absolute garbage.

edit: Actually, I looked at more search results and there was a DS game called Baby Pals that had a mom spot this pattern in a speech samples:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Pals#Alleged_subliminal_message

In conclusion, I am garbage.

There was also Warioware Touched. Spinning around a record playing Ashley's Song backwards would make it sound like it says "I grant all your kids to hell."

Shaneus

It's probably best not discussed here at all, but what recent game had the GG reference in it that warranted the disclaimer towards the end of the episode?

blamite

Wasn't this shown to be edited together from two completely separate points of the game?

The lines aren't exactly back to back, but they are very close together, as you can tell by the fact that the two screenshots are in the exact same location from the same demo.

imo, even if it's not a GG reference, it's clearly mistakable enough for one that it seems like it definitely should've been caught and edited someho much sooner. I dunno.

In other news I guess this is the newest iteration of U R MR GAY:

37HbTO2l.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit down on Idle Weekend at the moment. Danielle and Rob has become a bit abrasive and a lot less thoughtful recently. A lot more absolute. Less interesting.

I still really like them, but in terms of giving me something to chew on or think about, there just doesn't seem to be as much there for me.

Edit: I listened to the next five minutes and I'm won over again, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

jediyoshi

imo, even if it's not a GG reference, it's clearly mistakable enough for one that it seems like it definitely should've been caught and edited someho much sooner. I dunno.

It does bring up an alternate issue though when people address it in general. The distinction between coincidence and intent is massive, so the idea of casually attributing only blame (or not) without room in the discussion for the possibility that it's an oversight is pretty disappointing.

dLMN8R

I'm a bit down on Idle Weekend at the moment. Danielle and Rob has become a bit abrasive and a lot less thoughtful recently. A lot more absolute. Less interesting.

I still really like them, but in terms of giving me something to chew on or think about, there just doesn't seem to be as much there for me.

Edit: I listened to the next five minutes and I'm won over again, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

I usually love Idle Weekend, but last week's episode was incredibly frustrating. They were so inexplicably cynical when talking about inclusiveness specifically with regards to big companies.

I get that many games - especially those created by large companies - have plenty of work to do when it comes to being more inclusive and diverse in the people they represent. But to claim that those companies only take part in things like pride parades for purely PR reasons and nothing more is to completely ignore (or forget) the people who work for those companies.

Not only do people from those companies like EA, Microsoft, and others participate in pride parades because many of those people are themselves a part of the LGBT / queer community, but those companies - regardless of the products they create - are quite progressive too. From benefits like same-sex benefits sharing over a decade before they were legally obligated to offer it, to matching donations from employees for any cause, and much further than that.

Danielle and Rob are critics of products and art first and foremost, but they should try to remember that there are real people behind those products. Not from the perspective of "don't be mean when criticizing the product", but rather that "sometimes companies do things because of the people who make up that company, not because the company is some nameless borg that knows nothing but what's best for PR".

I usually love Idle Weekend, but last week's episode was incredibly frustrating. They were so inexplicably cynical when talking about inclusiveness specifically with regards to big companies.

I get that many games - especially those created by large companies - have plenty of work to do when it comes to being more inclusive and diverse in the people they represent. But to claim that those companies only take part in things like pride parades for purely PR reasons and nothing more is to completely ignore (or forget) the people who work for those companies.

Not only do people from those companies like EA, Microsoft, and others participate in pride parades because many of those people are themselves a part of the LGBT / queer community, but those companies - regardless of the products they create - are quite progressive too. From benefits like same-sex benefits sharing over a decade before they were legally obligated to offer it, to matching donations from employees for any cause, and much further than that.

Danielle and Rob are critics of products and art first and foremost, but they should try to remember that there are real people behind those products. Not from the perspective of "don't be mean when criticizing the product", but rather that "sometimes companies do things because of the people who make up that company, not because the company is some nameless borg that knows nothing but what's best for PR".

You should email this to them.

Jake

You should email this to them.

Agreed! I don't think Rob and Danielle are entirely incorrect (it's maybe hard to stack a company's participation in pride and pro-inclusivity events against the super non-progressive, sometimes hostile game content they ship) but the situation gets way more complicated and a lot less cynical when you remember that the people who make their games and make their company run are often way more diverse than their output.

dLMN8R

I did send it in about a week ago and they chose not to read it, but likely because I was much more frustrated in the moment and didn't word my argument as carefully or respectfully as I did here - and because of that they're probably right to not have read it.

But I personally work for Microsoft, and have friends who work for EA, Nintendo, Ubisoft, Valve, Sony, and others, and it's just baffling to pretend like they're only just jumping on a progressive bandwagon now.

Again it's true to a large extent in the games being made, and all the criticism in the world for those games is worthwhile and totally legitimate. But I nearly lost my shit when they flatly and inexplicably claimed that these companies don't donate to any worthwhile causes and that their participation in a pride parade is nothing more than flashy PR. It's just so unbelievably pessimistic, cynical, and (thankfully) wrong.

ike_

Even though memes are -100% to life, I hope the Goldblum realizes Goldblum memes are like +300% to happiness and +200% to production.

jacobs34

I really love the book club, I read a lot of books with my fiance and it is fun listening to another couple have the same kinds of conversations about books that we are having. The Fates and Furies episode especially interesting as Theresa and I had similar feelings about Lotto and his general obliviousness. There are not a lot of great book podcasts out there (Book Fight and, Literary Disco are the two others that I find interesting), so I really look forward to the Idle Book Club every month. I just finished The Sympathizer, and can't wait to hear their thoughts on it.

dLMN8R

I think the biggest thing the Thumbs overlooked in Inside is just how masterful the sound design is. Yeah it's incredibly beautiful, but the sound is otherworldly.

That moment maybe halfway through where you need to deal with 19 of something...and what happens immediately after that....

The sound design hinting at impending doom for 20-30 minutes, leading into what comes next....

Or earlier on, the dogs while you're hopping the fence back and forth....the sound alone gives me chills just thinking about it.

Jake

I think the biggest thing the Thumbs overlooked in Inside is just how masterful the sound design is. Yeah it's incredibly beautiful, but the sound is otherworldly.

That moment maybe halfway through where you need to deal with 19 of something...and what happens immediately after that....

The sound design hinting at impending doom for 20-30 minutes, leading into what comes next....

Or earlier on, the dogs while you're hopping the fence back and forth....the sound alone gives me chills just thinking about it.

Ah yeah the audio in that game is just top notch!

Shaneus

Over the past week, I've been working through the entirety (again) of the "This Year" Idle Thumbs compilation. Honestly never gets old.

There'll be flowers at your funeral /Steve

Top Bottom