• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to this episode made me wish there was a thumbs curated "Sunday papers" I actually spend a lot of time seeking out more obscure/longforn/good games writing but always always end up missing out on stuff.

Gomu Gomu

Just caught up with the latest two episodes, and I liked them a lot. This is the only podcast I listen to now, every episode is hilarious and in depth.
The talk about the stupid skull alien was hilarious. Only complaint I have regarding the last two episodes, is that I'm not sure if it was ever explained very well what Hotline Miami actually was aside from it being violent. I had no idea that it was a pixel art top down sort of game until I watched a video of it. Maybe it was explained on the cast and I just missed it, but ya. Definitely want to check that game out now, as a huge Super Meat Boy fan.
Also appreciate the Dota 2 segments, since that's practically the only game I've been playing for a while now.

They did explain what it is, and what it looks like on the Halloween episode.

It really wasn't that bad. I thought he was fantastic. Plus, this is his first/second time on the 'cast? It's not an easy thing to communicate extensive, complex thoughts like that.
Especially when you are in a hot little room full of men :p.
Even though JP had something like a total brain meltdown at one point in the Hotline Miami discussion, at the end of the day he made his point clear, and continued the podcast like a boss.

The Halo snark was a bit much. It is possible to like a game like Halo 4 as well as FTL, Dishonored, or DayZ.

I don't think this is fair. I had similar problems with the ME2 trailer talk, and I didn't enjoy the first Mass Effect much at all. But this is going back years, at this point.
I don't know what you guys are on about. I was super hyped for both of these games, and enjoyed them both. And I was never annoyed with Idle Thumbs' discussions of their trailers, or found them to be 'snarky'. But to be totally hilarious and on point on both counts.

I thought I remembered reading an interview with someone on that team and they said that originally the freerunning stuff was much more involved, but they eventually decided to automate it for some reason or another. It's a shame, it really is braindead. It's not just the controls either, just about every building is designed in such a way that you can just hold A and forward, and there will be a path.

It pales in comparison to the feeling of similar stuff in Mirror's Edge.
Can you imagine an open world Mirror's Edge. Holy shit that would be amazeballs. Prey 2 would've been something like that until it was axed.

While it's not quite the same as Mirror's Edge, I thought Crackdown did the open world involved freerunning thing pretty well. It was insane how fun it was just running and jumping from one roof to another, and climbing buildings and falling down from towers...etc. As I said, though, it's not as involved as Mirrors Edge. But it sure was a lot more fun and engaging than Assassins Creed, to me personally.

Shaneus

While it's not quite the same as Mirror's Edge, I thought Crackdown did the open world involved freerunning thing pretty well. It was insane how fun it was just running and jumping from one roof to another, and climbing buildings and falling down from towers...etc. As I said, though, it's not as involved as Mirrors Edge. But it sure was a lot more fun and engaging than Assassins Creed, to me personally.
One of the most satisfying things in that game (and almost any game IMO) is the crater you leave after a really big jump. The first game of that was (and still is) one of my 360 titles... such a technologically impressive game, not to mention fun.

demidar

Yes, I greatly enjoyed jumping in Crackdown. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop gave such a great sense of speed and vertigo, especially at level 5 agility.

Aaron

Yes, I greatly enjoyed jumping in Crackdown. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop gave such a great sense of speed and vertigo, especially at level 5 agility.
Nothing beats Prototype in movement when you max it out. Crazy how much ground you can cover leaping and gliding over the city.

The Halo snark was a bit much. It is possible to like a game like Halo 4 as well as FTL, Dishonored, or DayZ.

The reason we were talking about the Halo 4 stuff in the first place is because Sean thought the flaming skull was super awesome. I think he said that a lot of times. We also mentioned that we've played hundreds of hours of Halo each. I'm not personally interested in Halo 4 but I think it's pretty clear the "discussion" we were having was just goofy nonsense.

I was listening to this in the car on my way to work yesterday morning and I was cracking up at the Halo talk.

Was it Jake that started calling Master Chief 'Halo'?
"And then Halo jump down and grabbed a alien's gun..."

The whole time I was imagining a person sized Halo ring in the place of MC.

The origin of Oddball was genius. You guys went down a DEEP rabbit hole with that skull talk, haha.

xenist

The reason we were talking about the Halo 4 stuff in the first place is because Sean thought the flaming skull was super awesome. I think he said that a lot of times. We also mentioned that we've played hundreds of hours of Halo each. I'm not personally interested in Halo 4 but I think it's pretty clear the "discussion" we were having was just goofy nonsense.

There's no need to explain yourself man. It's just people looking to get offended.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just to quickly clarify with the trailer stuff, it wasn't that I find any of it offensive, it's just that it feels like low hanging fruit. When the discussions surrounding it are super cool, it sticks out like a soar thumb. When it gets to minute ten and they were still talking about a two-second shot in a trailer, it got a bit tedious.

But anyway, there was over an hour of awesome discussion in this episode. I'm just giving some feedback.

Was it The Visit?
Yes! Thanks! :)

Shaneus

I was listening to this in the car on my way to work yesterday morning and I was cracking up at the Halo talk.

Was it Jake that started calling Master Chief 'Halo'?
"And then Halo jump down and grabbed a alien's gun..."

The whole time I was imagining a person sized Halo ring in the place of MC.
Reminded me of The Simpsons where Bart keeps referring to the main character in Die Hard as "Die Hard". Loved it.

BTW I'm sure The Visit has been mentioned before... definitely remember playing (and loving) it earlier in the year.

Oxymoron

Listening to this episode made me wish there was a thumbs curated "Sunday papers" I actually spend a lot of time seeking out more obscure/longforn/good games writing but always always end up missing out on stuff.

If you're not following Critical Distance, you should be - it's exactly what you're describing. They round up (every Sunday!) great, thoughtful pieces of longform games writing, and I always end up sending a bunch of the pieces to my Instapaper account and reading them throughout the week.

Also, unrelated: I saw this video and thought of Thumbs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LJSFlMCTXE8

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of Jake is really disappointing.
On the book podcast, I mean.

demidar

You guys might've already seen this before, so too bad.

funny-gifs-qwop-cosplay.gif

Rufus

So dilemma: continue pronouncing latin words wrong, or do it right and sound like a douche?
If they're part of the lexicon of any given language and perhaps even fully integrated (i.e. the 'host' language's morphology applies to them) then pronounce them 'wrong', if not, pronounce them right.

Ledsen

If they're part of the lexicon of any given language and perhaps even fully integrated (i.e. the 'host' language's morphology applies to them) then pronounce them 'wrong', if not, pronounce them right.

I really just want to say "Kaysar" because it sounds badass, but no one will understand me.

Jintor

I died laughing at them just calling Master Chief "Halo". Unforuntately Shuan revealed that he knew he was actually called MC after a while, ruining the illusion

commissar

I have this nagging feeling Sean maybe actually does like the skull, but then I remember he has to be deadpanning because it's awful :p

Ledsen

The channel is live... there's just some music playing right now though. Also says they're playing Tennnes again?

dekjo

The channel is live... there's just some music playing right now though. Also says they're playing Tennnes again?

They got Hot Scoops in to play Minerva's Den. I didn't play any Bioshock 2, so this will be really interesting.

Aaron

I also get a little attached to the bot friends. I miss original Syndicate where you could have whole mobs following you around.

Jex

Chris made an interesting comment in the most recent Idle Thumbs podcast about how books are different from, say, games because book publishers don't have access to the same kind of information about how people interact with their books that game publishers have regarding the games they publish.

Apparently this isn't true anymore because with ebooks publishers finally now have statistics about how many people read how much of the book, when they stopped reading, how far they read in one sitting etc and they may use this information to edit the work in question if they so wished.

Chris made an interesting comment in the most recent Idle Thumbs podcast about how books are different from, say, games because book publishers don't have access to the same kind of information about how people interact with their books that game publishers have regarding the games they publish.

Apparently this isn't true anymore because with ebooks publishers finally now have statistics about how many people read how much of the book, when they stopped reading, how far they read in one sitting etc and they may use this information to edit the work in question if they so wished.
If this happens, I suspect it will be more applicable to books in franchises and other similar "made to order" kinds of fiction. But authors of literature still generally hold the copyright on their work, so I imagine there would be conflicts if publishers started making arbitrary changes after the fact. But yeah it's definitely interesting that that data is now out there to be analyzed.

Jex

If this happens, I suspect it will be more applicable to books in franchises and other similar "made to order" kinds of fiction. But authors of literature still generally hold the copyright on their work, so I imagine there would be conflicts if publishers started making arbitrary changes after the fact. But yeah it's definitely interesting that that data is now out there to be analyzed.

I just dug up the article in question because I thought it would be bad form not to link to the source: http://www.onthemedia.org/2012/jul/13/ebooks-read-you/

Shaneus

Guys, I just watched the episode of Conan that aired on the 18/10, and Goldblum is in FULL exuberant mode... you should all do your best to check it out.

And despite not being one who dresses up for anything, it gave me an idea for something to come as for next year's PAX Australia expo:
4Wi4S.jpg

Just that and my gold IT shirt should be enough.

Tried Real Lives 2010 there a couple of minutes ago. The trial gives you 3 lives and from what I can tell, it doesn't hold back any content. It's also only 36mb of a download so I'd recommend everyone here to try it out. Anyway, here's my first life:

0 years old
I was born a boy in a village in Malawi's Central Region, not far from the city of Nkhotakota.

My parents have named me Gamba. My surname is Mhalele. My mother, Nonzwakazi, is 23 and my father, Simangaliso, is 25. I have a brother, Tapfuma, who is 1.

From my parents I have been gifted with the potential for exceptional athletic ability and exceptional physical endurance.

1 year old
Growth stunted from inadequate protein.

Got my first tooth at the age of 3 months.

Learned to crawl at the age of 9 months.

Learned to walk at the age of 14 months.

2 years old
Died at age 2 from dehydration.

It lasted about 30 seconds and despite that life being incredibly short and I had basically no interaction with the game other than moving it forward 2 years, it affected me more than any other game this year.

From reading the PC gamer article and listening to the cast, I had a fair idea of what the game was about without knowing much about the overall mechanics but I decided to go in blind (cause that's what you do in life) and learn as I go along". I figured infancy would be some sort of tutorial anyway, so whatever, I jumped in and rolled my first character, Gamba from Malawi.

Looking at my stats, I saw that Gamba was awesome at athletics and endurance and from what I know about Malawi, he was in a pretty fucked up situation. His family were in a small, one bedroom house and had no access to clean water, medical care or public sanitation. The one thing Gamba had going for him was that he was going to be athletic so I decided that he would become an athlete and (figuratively) run his way out Malawi. As you can see, poor Gamba never got the chance.

So now I'm sitting here thinking about how many potentially great people were out there but because of the situation they were born into never even got the chance to even try to realise it. It sucks.

Now I can't decide whether to go back and use the two remain lives I have left in the trial or to just never play it again and let the tale of Gamba be my tale of Real Lives 2010. I feel it'd be more poignant if I stop right now but can you say you've enjoyed a game if you never explored or even really know about 90% of it's mechanics?

xenist

Looking at my stats, I saw that Gamba was awesome at athletics and endurance and from what I know about Malawi, he was in a pretty fucked up situation. His family were in a small, one bedroom house and had no access to clean water, medical care or public sanitation. The one thing Gamba had going for him was that he was going to be athletic so I decided that he would become an athlete and (figuratively) run his way out Malawi. As you can see, poor Gamba never got the chance.

So now I'm sitting here thinking about how many potentially great people were out there but because of the situation they were born into never even got the chance to even try to realise it. It sucks.

Now I can't decide whether to go back and use the two remain lives I have left in the trial or to just never play it again and let the tale of Gamba be my tale of Real Lives 2010. I feel it'd be more poignant if I stop right now but can you say you've enjoyed a game if you never explored or even really know about 90% of it's mechanics?

A bit off-topic, but this is how I approach topics like world poverty, vaccination programs, education programs and such. I mean the bleeding heart "let's hold hands and make the world a better place" is kinda nice, don't take me wrong. But what gets me are the insane amounts of potential humanity squanders. From a kid in Malawi dying at age two to some kid born to single uneducated parent in some trailer park, there are billions of people whose lives are predestined not to matter. Who, despite any potential they may have, will never get a single chance to live up to it. Making sure that as many of us possible get their shot seems like the cold, logical, efficient thing to do.

On topic now, I second your idea of not playing another life. Support the people that made the game but you seem to have got what the game had to give you. It's the same reason I haven't and will not do more than one playthroughs of Mirror's Edge. I'd love to be exposed to the mechanics some more, but these huge jumps and falls have been such a vicarious experience for me that I'm afraid repeating and perfecting them will dilute it.

Top Bottom