• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If back to the future was made today...

Dark Star

It would suck because almost every movie or show nowadays makes the iPhone and social media a big part of the plot.

Biff would be a cyberbully who trolls on Reddit instead of an actual 80s bully who takes your lunch money and breaks your nose. It would be super lame.

Also, Marty would also be riding around on those ugly handleless segway looking “hoverboards” because the real ones never got invented in 2015 lol.

Best-adult-hoverboard.jpg

Last edited:

mango drank

Considering how technology is supposed to be progressing exponentially faster recently, is it weird that the jump from 1985 and 1955 feels bigger to me than the jump from 2021 to 1991?

What I mean is, the cultural and technological gap between 1985 and 1955 feels pretty huge, whereas the one from 2021 to 1991 ... doesn't feel like that big a deal. Yeah, only a small percentage of the general population had internet in 1991, and same for mobile phones, but overall the differences don't seem as stark as the ones between 1985 and 1955.

Arkam

Considering how technology is supposed to be progressing exponentially faster recently, is it weird that the jump from 1985 and 1955 feels bigger to me than the jump from 2021 to 1991?

What I mean is, the cultural and technological gap between 1985 and 1955 feels pretty huge, whereas the one from 2021 to 1991 ... doesn't feel like that big a deal. Yeah, only a small percentage of the general population had internet in 1991, and same for mobile phones, but overall the differences don't seem as stark as the ones between 1985 and 1955.
Interesting take. I can see it. Wonder if that might be the result of the start of the "microchip revolution" during the first gap (from nothing to home computers) and then, the further (and slowed down) stages of said tech were it is more evolutionary during the second gap..

Last edited:

mango drank

Interesting take. I can see it. Wonder if that might be the result of the start of the "microchip revolution" during the first gap (from nothing to home computers) and then, the further (and slowed down) stages of said tech were it is more evolutionary during the second gap..
Yeah, probably. And thinking about it more, the broader cultural differences between 1955 and 1985 are huge too. The fashion, the cars, TV, movies, slang, architecture, everything. Huge gap. Meanwhile, the cultural differences between 1991 and 2021 don't seem as big. Watch some episodes from the beginning of season 2 of Fresh Prince (1991). Will Smith would fit right in today (although he'd get cancelled fast). Or some eps from season 3 of Seinfeld, or season 1 of Home Improvement, etc.

Susurrus

Sounds like a good idea for a shitty Netflix film that will be popular anyway because it is a remake of a popular and nostalgic film.

I agree with a lot of people above. 91 wasn’t some crazy place to be. People used CDs, watched TV, had phones with cords attached, cars with cassette decks, and most people I knew couldn’t afford a computer or mobile phone. Grunge didn’t seem to catch on fully until 92-93 and the Gulf War was over before you knew it.
But I was a smaller town kid so maybe big city people had different experiences...

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
No Michael J. Fox or Christopher Lloyd = No buys.

1603266352_untitled-design-2020-10-21t131452.949.png

YCoCg

I'd disagree, there are major changes but they seem blended together for us now after living through it.

The best example I can give that highlights this change is BoJack Horseman, there's a few episodes set in 2006/2007 and they did that very well in highlighting how it was different from the 2010's.

Top Bottom