• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If E3 gets cancelled is Microsoft the last hope for a next-generation stage show?

I mean they have their own independent theater abstract of the E3 event taking place across the street from the convention center, it's associated but at the same time totally independent and not beholden to E3 itself.

This could actually be a huge windfall for them, not just for what they have to show themselves but also numerous publishers have lost a dedicated venue to show off their games. GDC is gone, PAX is gone, if E3 is gone then Microsoft seems like the last opportunity for a broad next-generation showing.

Sounds like a fantastic idea to be honest, but there would still be a gathering of some sort, though much smaller than E3 for sure. Would be interesting.

kareemna

They should have already had a plan B somewhere given that the virus has been there for 2 months now. Otherwise a proper reveal like E3 will be delayed for some time. An advantage for Sony.

GHG

Why would they take on that level of risk when everyone else is cancelling or postponing these types of events for a reason?

Do they have a secret vaccine ready to hand out to all attendees?

The best you will get is a digital event and you will like it.

sinnergy

They already mitigated to online see blog post Series X reveal and the streams for GDC, they saw this coming.

We are getting a Microsoft Direct.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's hoping for a staged event. A live stage show is better than a canned pre-recorded video in an office.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Here's hoping for a staged event. A live stage show is better than a canned pre-recorded video in an office.

Sure. I love watching the live stage shows, even the crap ones ......

..... but first world problems.

if there are no big reveal events and no live stage shows it’s not really going to impact the release of next gen consoles.

Why would they take on that level of risk when everyone else is cancelling or postponing these types of events for a reason?
I think it could and should still go ahead, but maybe limit the staff flown in from Europe and Asia. I can't see it being much of an issue for Domestic flights 'at the moment'

In the end, thought all people really care about it was what the games look like in motion. I grew up in the days of all we had was screenshots and that still made me want a Mega Drive, Snes and Master system

GHG

I think it could and should still go ahead, but maybe limit the staff flown in from Europe and Asia. I can't see it being much of an issue for Domestic flights 'at the moment'

And the people that attend?

And the people all these people come into contact with during transit?

There's a reason many risk advisory companies are advising against international business travel at the moment.

For the demos etc they can put them on the digital storefronts for a limited period of time so that everyone can get the opportunity to play them. That way we can all see for ourselves how the games are shaping up and we don't need some PR driven "journalism" to tell us how we should and shouldn't feel about upcoming games.

MayauMiao

This could actually be a huge windfall for them, not just for what they have to show themselves but also numerous publishers have lost a dedicated venue to show off their games.

We live in an age of Youtube, Facebook, Twitter. I don't think dedicated venues are as important as it were in the past.

Diddy X

Problem with e3 are the huge gatherings, what makes you think MS could pull a succesful conference when nobody is even taking the risk.

There's a reason many risk advisory companies are advising against international business travel at the moment.

For the demos etc they can put them on the digital storefronts for a limited period of time so that everyone can get the opportunity to play them. That way we can all see for ourselves how the games are shaping up and we don't need some PR driven "journalism" to tell us how we should and shouldn't feel about upcoming games.
There not putting up public demos if e3 goes that’s it were not getting anything to compensate that.

Think like that let's ban all Air travel, no more fans travelling for NBA and Major League games across America, no more people travelling to the USA on Holiday.
Let's go into meltdown and shutdown .

GHG

Think like that let's ban all Air travel, no more fans travelling for NBA and Major League games across America, no more people travelling to the USA on Holiday.
Let's go into meltdown and shutdown .

If people were serious about stopping the spread of this thing then non-essential travel would have been banned going in and out of China long ago in order to contain it within a single country.

But yet here we are, and E3 is being cancelled months in advance because of the lax stance so many people have taken with this over the last couple of months.

Funny that all of the things you've listed are potentially what happens next. I doubt you'll still be so sarcastic when it actually happens.

Last edited:
If people were serious about stopping the spread of this thing then non-essential travel would have been banned going in and out of China long ago in order to contain it within a single country.

But yet here we are, and E3 is being cancelled months in advance because of the lax stance so many people have taken with this over the last couple of months.

Funny that all of the things you've listed are potentially what happens next. I doubt you'll still be so sarcastic when it actually happens.

Well, you would have thought China and Italy would have been on the List. Is the Players Championship still going ahead? No matter Golf fans and players from around the world will all be flying in

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If they can't do it at E3 they shouldn't be hosting it themselves with the same amount of people in the room...

This is a big issue for Microsoft though. At E3 they can surf on the hype of E3, new games, etc., which has a much bigger audience. Now they have to persuade gamers to watch their online presentation themselves. Not that great for marketing and trying to reach as many people as possible.

You don't keep up with international news much do you?

Is the Players Championship going ahead or is being played with no spectators. Is the Australian F1 GP going ahead this weekend, never mind most of the pit crew and drivers are from Europe and they'll be over 100,000 spectators over the race weekend?

GHG

Is the Players Championship going ahead or is being played with no spectators. Is the Australian F1 GP going ahead this weekend, never mind most of the pit crew and drivers are from Europe and they'll be over 100,000 spectators over the race weekend?

Well keep calm and carry on then.

This is what happens when it takes a hold of a country and the number of patients start exceeding the capacity of hospitals:

Literally all of the things you listed sarcastically. So yeh, keep it up. I'm sure the fantastic American healthcare system is well equipped to deal with this and the insurance companies can't wait for the numbers to grow.

Birdo

Banned
Videos are better anyway.

This way you don't have to listen to that one asshole in the audience who keeps whooping every ten seconds.

I hope they do; they can still technically treat it like a live show at their theater. Streaming the event doesn't mean they have to scale it down into something pedestrian or boring (ironically like how the first E3 was in hindsight. Seriously that thing was played straight as an arrow, no theatrics or broad experience at all).

Well keep calm and carry on then.

This is what happens when it takes a hold of a country and the number of patients start exceeding the capacity of hospitals:

Literally all of the things you listed sarcastically. So yeh, keep it up. I'm sure the fantastic American healthcare system is well equipped to deal with this and the insurance companies can't wait for the numbers to grow.

That's parts of Europe ..In the UK all sporting events go ahead including all football, the six Nations match bettwen Wales and Scotland and the biggest race event of the year in Cheltenham. If the USA and UK got levels to that of Italy then gaming shows and sports be the least of worries.

MS can show off the hardware and games at their campus like with the One launch ( Itd didn't need E3 . But it's a shame to see sports and gaming shows dropped in countries that don't have issues yet and amazingly still allow flights in from Italy.

I don't want anyone to suffer just as much as you.

D

Deleted member 779727

Unconfirmed Member
Do it the way Koenigsegg announced the Gemera, keep the stage and stream it the way you would've without the crowd. Phil Spencer live-streaming from his phone in the bathroom is also an option lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

GHG

That's parts of Europe ..In the UK all sporting events go ahead including all football, the six Nations match bettwen Wales and Scotland and the biggest race event of the year in Cheltenham. If the USA and UK got levels to that of Italy then gaming shows and sports be the least of worries.

MS can show off the hardware and games at their campus like with the One launch ( Itd didn't need E3 . But it's a shame to see sports and gaming shows dropped in countries that don't have issues yet and amazingly still allow flights in from Italy.

I don't want anyone to suffer just as much as you.

You're being shortsighted.

As long as it continues to be "business as usual" in countries like the UK and US then there's every chance they could also end up with a situation like the one currently in Italy.

Come back to me in 2-3 weeks.

Vawn

Banned
Why does anyone want a stage show? Are you going to attend?

Or do you really need to see a man in his 50s, pretending to be 25, walking through smoke machines and strobe lights. Or dancing people, celebrities who don't even play much games and cars on stage that have almost nothing to do with the show. Smoke and mirrors to hide a lack of games? I'll pass.

Just do online presentations. Get to the point. Be Direct.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
You're being shortsighted.

As long as it continues to be "business as usual" in countries like the UK and US then there's every chance they could also end up with a situation like the one currently in Italy.

Come back to me in 2-3 weeks.

It's not just the UK or the USA. Are the likes of Mexico, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Russia banning all public gatherings and having all sporting events played behind closed doors?
Maybe your way will be right and let's ban all public gatherings...

Top Bottom