• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Metroid NX played like an Uncharted or Tom Braider would you go Hulk?

CO_Andy

The original concept for Metroid Prime was a 3rd-person shooter. Thanks to Miyamoto-sama's intervention it became first-person. Now that there are quasi 3rd-person shooter-exploration games like Uncharted that concept can finally be realized. Would it be wise to revisit or did the original Metroid creator's take on it with Other M soured the fandom enough to not want a second helping?

Tom Braider?

tom-brady-042015-getty-ftrjpg_199igcajbb7s71ec45mv5wqpx5.jpg

I think it would be awesome if the new Metroid was a top NFL player.

Simbabbad

Who is this Tom Braider?
Typo of the year.

Anyway, I loved Other M, so I wouldn't mind another 3rd person Metroid, but CERTAINLY not if it's anywhere near Uncharted or Tomb Raider (which won't happen anyway).

Why would it be anything like Uncharted/TR? The range for 3rd person action/adventure with shooting is much bigger than those two games. Hopefully nothing like Other M though, of course.

Fbh

I bet Tom Raider is voiced by Troy Baker

On topic.
I like both of those franchises. But I would hate it if a new Metroid played like that

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nintedno fans are going to be high even if it ends up being an isometric RPG.

I'll take a Castlevania 64 style 3rd person exloration game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Uncharted is hardly quasi-exploration. 90% of the game is running down linear paths shooting shit and engaging in rudimentary ledge grabbing and path finding.

If you're asking if I'd be okay with a Metroid game that in combat played like a third person shooter then sure. There's room for one. But Prime succeeds because despite the first person perspective the core design philosophy in level design, exploration, and puzzling remains faithful to the Metroid formula. It's just as poignant in 2D-to-3D franchise transformations as Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. And so an "Uncharted Metroid" has to not be Uncharted Metroid at all, but instead a 3D Metroid true to the formula that also just so happens to be third person.

Uncharted Metroid in the literal sense might be a fun game, but it will put the franchise in the same position it is now with Federation Force (though less horrendous feedback), in that fans are still not getting the Metroid game they're asking for as established by the franchise, but instead a game that isn't Metroid by design but Metroid in aesthetic.

Varjet

If a new Metroid would actually play like Uncharted the camera perspective would be the least of my problems.

I recently played Tomb Raider 2013 and it definitely has some Metroid-like elements with new areas to explore once u have additional gear later in the game. I could work.

This would be a worst case scenario that'd kill any interest in the game for me. The Uncharted games and the recent Tomb Raiders are not particularly well-made (beyond production values) in my eyes.

TheMoon

lol @ the obvious

then lol @ the question itself

why even think about something that will never happen?

The End

Haven't played RotTR becuase I don't have an Xbone, but Tomb Raider (2013) had some MV-lite elements. It would be entirely possible to do a metroid game with TPS/TPP elements that's faithful to the series.

Molemitts

If it was just third person I wouldn't really care. As long as it made a suitable transition to it, the Prime games worked very well in first person.

But what do you mean by "like "Uncharted"? Because I wouldn't want Metroid to be anything like that. Metroid is all about isolation and extrapolation, while Uncharted is a linear action game. Do not want.

Trago

OT

That would suck. You can keep your set piece heavy moviefests where they belong. Metroid's all about atmosphere and exploration.

I guess if you're talking about a spin off, then that's ok I guess.

Who is this Tom Braider?
Typo of the year.

Anyway, I loved Other M, so I wouldn't mind another 3rd person Metroid, but CERTAINLY not if it's anywhere near Uncharted or Tomb Raider (which won't happen anyway).

OP, did you happen to post this on a phone?

Auto-Spelling can be a bear sometimes.

Instro

The original concept for Metroid Prime was a 3rd-person shooter. Thanks to Miyamoto-sama's intervention it became first-person. Now that there are quasi 3rd-person shooter-exploration games like Uncharted that concept can finally be realized. Would it be wise to revisit or did the original Metroid creator's take on it with Other M soured the fandom enough to not want a second helping?

Well it being in 3rd person doesn't mean it would be like those games, but yes if they made a Metroid that played like either of those games I would not be happy.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Tom Braider would've been a better title than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

And just like that Tom Braider was born.

Ugh, I wouldn't go HULK but I might be disappointed in that it's a missed opportunity. The series plays so differently.

KoopaTheCasual

Typo of the year aside.... I do think Other M soured the fanbase. It's a shame too, because I think Metroid has the potential to make a GotF type of 3D platformer/shooter.

But I wouldn't want it to play like uncharted. There's more to 3D games than Nathan Drake and Tom Braider

OT

That would suck. You can keep your set piece heavy moviefests where they belong. Metroid's all about atmosphere and exploration.

I guess if you're talking about a spin off, then that's ok I guess.
Metroid has its fair share of set pieces. Short cinematic moments, but they are spread throughout the 2D games

mp1990

Banned
[insert joke related to typo here]

Of couse I'd be mad. The last thing Metroid franchise needs after that violently blow named Force Federation is to change its gameplay formula to a blend of dull mechanics and cutscenes, that, as we've seen in MP3, don't harmonize at all with the series.

Top Bottom