• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If one lives in a safe city in a first world country, should he/she still learn how to fight?

Makariel

I live in the U.S, and I live in a relatively safe city. Is there ever a need to learn how to fight? I have never been in situations where serious combat took place.
I find learning to fight today is more about learning about yourself and discipline than the ability to punch someone. So it's quite useful, regardless where you live.

Bonus point: it turns you into one of those insufferable snobs who complain about how unrealistic fighting is in movies and video games :p

Kenpachii

Get pepper spray never confront anybody and stay ranged. Never fight, one misstep or mistake and it could be the end of you as result.

If you train fighting you do it to get in shape / release your anger / get discipline not to actually use it in conflicts.

The moment you start shit with the wrong person no matter your fighting skills he will play it dirty and you will put yourself in massive danger. For example knife attacks.

And any idiot that tries to convince you, that you can deflect knife attacks is a straight up idiot.

How to use pepper spray. If somebody has issue's with you and confronts you and you think it's going to be a situation of survival, you directly spray his face full of it.

It's hard to fight / murder you when you can't breath or see. Then you just walk away like nothing happened.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I grew up in Detroit till I was a teen then i lives in the suburbs ever since. I pretty much had to learn how to fight. Funny thing is that I’ve gotten into more fights living in the suburbs though. I think it’s good to know how to defend yourself just be careful the wrong person might want to press charges an have a tether put on you. I’ve seen it happen to a friend who let words get to him.

Honestly there's no need because the risk is low. That said, it may or may not be useful. If you're actually interested in it for the physical benefits, that's probably a better reason to do it.

Otherwise I'm sure you're busy with more impactful hobbies.

Top Bottom