• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"If pot were truly legal, joints would cost only a few cents."

Status
Not open for further replies.

cousins

People will do it anyway, the same way that they grow herbs and vegetables for themselves (i.e. as bourgeois entertainment), but I agree that legalization will probably cut way down on people growing their own pot.

Really not sure why everybody is so baffled about this. You really think the cost of marijuana is five hundred times the cost of growing tomatoes? Two hundred times the cost of tobacco? It would take some severely onerous regulation to keep marijuana prices from completely collapsing after legalization.

yup

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'm thinking of those tax stamps they put on tobacco. Thsoe would drive up the cost of joints. The cost of agriculture inspectors as well.

^Absolutely, ChiTown. If weed becomes legal then it becomes yet another form of agriculture and must be treated as such.

big business doesn't care what things should cost. Big business doesn't care if underage kids will smoke weed either, nor will they care whether its good or bad for the community or culture, large or small. They will push their legal limits and freedoms to the limit to maximize profits and manipulate you. To think otherwise would be to not know your history when it comes to money, people and drugs.

If they can get people to buy bottled water for a buck a bottle then...

Balphon

The article seems to ignore that the first thing any sane government will do after legalizing marijuana is levy a substantial excise tax on it.

SmokyDave

Weed doesn't need to be cheap. People happily pay the going rate so legalise it and tax the shit out of it (much like tobacco). I'm a long time smoker and I'd much rather my money went into the economy rather than the black market.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
You're wrong. It is a pain in the ass I would gladly give up tomorrow for a reasonable price. I yearn every day for California-style dispensaries up here.

Growing pot is one thing....growing good pot is work. For disabled people (like me), it's a considerable burden.

Growing good pot is not work, it is care. Initial start up cost are what turn a lot of people off to it but it really is a simply process, like following a recipe.

It can be technically daunting though, but most with disability can find someone to help them set up. Depends on the area you live I suppose.

You're wrong. It is a pain in the ass I would gladly give up tomorrow for a reasonable price. I yearn every day for California-style dispensaries up here.

Growing pot is one thing....growing good pot is work. For disabled people (like me), it's a considerable burden.

Yes... "disabled".

Suairyu

Banned
If it truly costs pennies to produce legally, I'm in favour of a pack of 20* costing the same as a pack of cigarettes. That's a fantastic tax revenue source to be put towards hospitals and shit. Would solve many nation's budgetary problems very quickly.

*I'd want it sold in non-smoke form, too, because I like to bake.

Weed doesn't need to be cheap. People happily pay the going rate so legalise it and tax the shit out of it (much like tobacco). I'm a long time smoker and I'd much rather my money went into the economy rather than the black market.

This.

Also growing your own would be like growing your own tomatoes. Sure it's easy but not everyone wants to do it, has the time or the space.

Also, potheads are annoying. It's a drug not a miracle, get over it.

VASPER

Banned
So pot should cost around 120-150 an ounce all the work and money that goes into making a good crop would be killer if its only cents on the dollar.

Growing good pot is not work, it is care. Initial start up cost are what turn a lot of people off to it but it really is a simply process, like following a recipe.

It can be technically daunting though, but most with disability can find someone to help them set up. Depends on the area you live I suppose.

My wife handles almost all of the day-to-day stuff because I can't really get out there too regularly. I guess it depends on your perspective, but late grow season can be pretty stressful (mold), and harvest is quite a lot of work for half a dozen adult plants. So I guess how much you grow is a factor.

Getting maximum quality late in the season is something we're still struggling with, too. To be fair this is only our second grow season outdoors, I'm sure we'll get it down. I still think it's plenty of work, though, just like any "normal" vegetable gardening would be. For some that's pleasurable activity, for others not so much.

Yes... "disabled".

I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest here, but I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Seanspeed

Banned
If it were legal...everyone would grow their own. There is no market for it.

Growing good weed aint so easy and requires an investment in equipment(especially if you dont have a yard). There'd still be a big market for it. Most people still buy tomatos from the store despite them being pretty easy to grow after all....

EDIT: Damn, beaten with my main argument and with the tomato analogy. lol

SmokyDave

If it truly costs pennies to produce legally, I'm in favour of a pack of 20* costing the same as a pack of cigarettes. That's a fantastic tax revenue source to be put towards hospitals and shit. Would solve many nation's budgetary problems very quickly.

I'd say you could go 30-50% over cigarette prices without creating too much of a black market. There will always be people that grow their own but the majority will go for convenience.

jadedm17

I dont want to live in this world, I want to live in that one.

Soon I hope.

I'd go for convience, and personally throw piles of money at this. Butters, patches, ice cream, gums... I want it all....

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
My wife handles almost all of the day-to-day stuff because I can't really get out there too regularly. I guess it depends on your perspective, but late grow season can be pretty stressful (mold), and harvest is quite a lot of work for half a dozen adult plants. So I guess how much you grow is a factor.

I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest here, but I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Yeah there are a lot of factors that go into, mold resistant strains are good to look into but there are a lot of factors that go into account. Outdoors in Cali can get some good quality without having to put too much effort though, just have to hope you have nice neighbors. haha

Just in perspective when you see how much money one would save growing, if it ever became legal to do so of course the masses wouldn't do it but there would be a good amount of adults growing in their own homes.

Kapura

Banned

The growing process for cannibis tea plants are dramatically different. Tea is cheap because it takes almost no effort to get to grow in certain parts of the world, and the collection of it is unskilled labour that generally costs to manufacturers of the finished product relatively little. I don't and haven't grown pot, but as I understand it it's a much more involved process.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
:O I had no idea there even was such a thing! This is the worst part of growing for me, so it's something I will definitely have to check out.

Check it out, it helps a lot if you don't have the time or funds to give plants perfect conditions. Especially if you don't control humidity which really is a pain to try and control.

Cents? Maybe. A pack of cigarettes cost like $7 here. 20 cigarettes in a pack breaks it down to what? $0.35 per cigarette? I figure if it ever is legalized it'd cost about as much as cigs do.

joelseph

The growing process for cannibis tea plants are dramatically different. Tea is cheap because it takes almost no effort to get to grow in certain parts of the world, and the collection of it is unskilled labour that generally costs to manufacturers of the finished product relatively little. I don't and haven't grown pot, but as I understand it it's a much more involved process.

It's not for low to mid grade.

jadedm17

From what I've learned watching Netflix documentaries, it is. Thieves are the first thing, you need private land that you'll probably want guarded during the final phases. Fencing from animals, and bugs are a huge problem. Mold of course was said.

For those trying to make their livelihood on it theres work to be done.

What if it was extra-super legal? They'd pay me to smoke it that's what.

Did you say mandatory?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The government would tax the shit out of it and companies would overcharge out the ass for a profit. I do agree it would be pretty cheap especially compared to now.
Really... why would anyone think it'd be any different from tobbacco or alcohol? Does anyone really think it costs $5 to make a pack of cigarettes?

If it were legal...everyone would grow their own. There is no market for it.
Do you grow your own tobbacco? Do you have a still in your back yard?

cousins

I'd rather my wallet not be raped. I'm all for taxes, but not on the same level as cigarettes.

You are getting pretty shitty weed if you are paying under 50 bucks for it.

A gram? What exactly are you smoking? I can assure you it's not weed.

I like how you read the whole OP and replied within one minute.

LSD would be even cheaper. Just a single 25kg yield could supply one hundred million doses.

In fact most street drugs given proper manufacturing could be just as cheap, if not cheaper than weed.

Shit LSD is easy, MDMA industrially produced would be just as cheap. Don't need to farm, cultivate, harvest and prep most chemical drugs. In fact pretty much all street drugs could be mass produced with ease ... marijuana however has significant hurdles ... you know waiting for it to grow ...

Hence this 'yeah man weeds so cheap is should be legal' is probably the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard in respect to the legalization of marijuana.

Lets not even touch on what would happen to society if they made weed free. Sure crime, depression and boredom would drop. But so would social advance, society and human progress. Yeah that's right, weed generally makes people dull, boring and kills their drive and ambition.

There's a reason all the stoners I knew at uni were retaking years. One a doctor, dropped out, studied tissue engineering, ended up with a bachelors. Computer Scientist, retaking his 3rd year. Dropped out. Wanna be dentist, tried applying for dentistry for 3 years in a row, never got it. Chemist, took 5 years to fail his 2nd year and drop out. Japan students numerous japan students. All failed. All dropped into East Asian Studies, the Japanese reject list. Some lasted it out, most didn't. There's a reason all the stoners I knew generally failed. They were decent guys, it's just their habit killed any push and ambition inside them. They could of all been 5 times what they are now. But they preferred to spend their weekends and evenings getting high.

Weed for them was almost as cheap as Alcohol. For them it wasn't much of a choice, but it was still one they made. Now your telling me you want to hand joints out to them for free? Yeah no. Make it legal. But free? No. That'll screw up so many people.

cousins

LSD would be even cheaper. Just a single 25kg yield could supply one hundred million doses.

In fact most street drugs given proper manufacturing could be just as cheap, if not cheaper than weed.

Shit LSD is easy, MDMA industrially produced would be just as cheap. Don't need to farm, cultivate, harvest and prep most chemical drugs. In fact pretty much all street drugs could be mass produced with ease ... marijuana however has significant hurdles ... you know waiting for it to grow ...

Hence this 'yeah man weeds so cheap is should be legal' is probably the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard in respect to the legalization of marijuana.

Lets not even touch on what would happen to society if they made weed free. Sure crime, depression and boredom would drop. But so would social advance, society and human progress. Yeah that's right, weed generally makes people dull, boring and kills their drive and ambition.

There's a reason all the stoners I knew at uni were in retaking years. One a doctor, dropped out, studied tissue engineering, ended up with a bachelors. Computer Scientist, retaking his 3rd year. Dropped out. Wanna be dentist, tried applying for dentistry for 3 years in a row, never got it. Chemist, took 5 years to fail his 2nd year and drop out. Japan students numerous japan students. All failed. All dropped into East Asian Studies, the Japanese reject list. Some lasted it out, most didn't. There's a reason all the stoners I knew generally failed. They were decent guys, it's just their habit killed any push and ambition inside them. They could of all been 5 times what they are now. But they preferred to spend their weekends and evenings getting high.

Weed for them was almost as cheap as Alcohol. For them it wasn't much of a choice, but it was still one they made. Now your telling me you want to hand joints out to them for free? Yeah no. Make it legal. But free? No. That'll screw up so many people.
because clearly everyone would start smoking weed. I wish I could live in whatever magical world you vampires live in.

No but alot more people would.

I know weed has an illegal allure. but if proffesionals like giant corporations started to market and sell the stuff. Im sure they expand their market beyond the usual suspects.

because clearly everyone would start smoking weed. I wish I could live in whatever magical world you vampires live in.

Because 'so many people' is everyone?

I thought neogaf had standards? Or is it a forum wide acceptance to attack posts with ill informed short snarly comments that add nothing to the discussion.

pigeon

Banned
Do you grow your own tobbacco? Do you have a still in your back yard?

In fairness, both tobacco (poisonous to the touch when damp) and distilled alcohol (long-term boiling of large quantities of liquid) are significantly more dangerous to make yourself than marijuana (causes you to eat raw cookie dough).

That'll screw up so many people.

Yet another excellent argument for why non-physically-addictive drugs with no real health side effects but medicinal and therapeutic applications (LSD, MDMA, marijuana) should be illegal and physically addictive drugs with no applications that will inevitably kill you (alcohol, tobacco) should be legal.

Kapura

Banned

There's a reason all the stoners I knew at uni were retaking years. One a doctor, dropped out, studied tissue engineering, ended up with a bachelors. Computer Scientist, retaking his 3rd year. Dropped out. Wanna be dentist, tried applying for dentistry for 3 years in a row, never got it. Chemist, took 5 years to fail his 2nd year and drop out. Japan students numerous japan students. All failed. All dropped into East Asian Studies, the Japanese reject list. Some lasted it out, most didn't. There's a reason all the stoners I knew generally failed. They were decent guys, it's just their habit killed any push and ambition inside them. They could of all been 5 times what they are now. But they preferred to spend their weekends and evenings getting high.

clapclapclap I knew their were some posters who still had intelligent things to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom