• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Tales of the Tempest is succesful, would Namco make another Tales for the DS?

I've noticed a pattern with Nintendo Tales. It's usually only 1 game oer system. SNES got Phantasia (which later got ported to PS1). GC got Symphonia (which later got ported to PS2). GBA got a port of Phantasia (unless you count the Dungeon spinoffs as main Tales entries). So Nintendo systems have sort of been shunned in terms of Tales love. Could that change with the DS? Obviously Tempest will stay a DS exclusive. But if it's succesful, will we actually get ANOTHER Tales game this time for a Nintendo system? PS2 got like 3 didn't it?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think it's more like if TotT is successful, then Namco definitely WON'T make a sequel. :lol

Cheebs

There is very little logic in how Namco makes its Tales games so I wouldn't even try to predict what would make sense. More than likely Namco would do the opposite of that.

Emotions

If it's succesful they won't, like they didn't do with TOS, once the DS game is succesful it'll help them to fund an exclusive Tales of for the PSP or XBOX360 . :lol This is not far from the truth .

Link1110

I'm hoping that the Tales for PSP is a remake of Tales of Destiny 2, this way Ubisoft can bring it to Europe and I can have it in English. :D

ethelred

Father_Brain said:
Is this coming to the US? I notice that it wasn't shown at E3.

I asked the Namco Bandai reps, they wouldn't comment on it (didn't expect that they would, though). Who knows. If Namco Bandai doesn't do it, I suspect Nintendo will. It'll be a 2007 thing, though, one way or the other.

Link1110 said:
I'm hoping that the Tales for PSP is a remake of Tales of Destiny 2, this way Ubisoft can bring it to Europe and I can have it in English. :D

There isn't a Tales for PSP. MelFes was what made some people think there was a Tales PSP, but that was Legendia for PS2.

duckroll

Tales of the Tempest will definitely be released in the US. The reason Bandai Namco wouldn't comment at E3 is most likely because even in Japan the game isn't at a stage where they're comfortable showing off videos or playables just yet. Remember, the game just got delayed again recently, so it's clear they're spending extra effort on it to prevent GAF from crying DS Sabotage! :lol

kiryogi

Banned
duckroll said:
Tales of the Tempest will definitely be released in the US. The reason Bandai Namco wouldn't comment at E3 is most likely because even in Japan the game isn't at a stage where they're comfortable showing off videos or playables just yet. Remember, the game just got delayed again recently, so it's clear they're spending extra effort on it to prevent GAF from crying DS Sabotage! :lol

But the fact of the matter here is it isnt a sabotage. It's actually one of the best looking DS titles utilizing 3d. Looks pretty decent in action too.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
kiryogi said:
But the fact of the matter here is it isnt a sabotage. It's actually one of the best looking DS titles utilizing 3d. Looks pretty decent in action too.

That's the secret behind their mission, code named "Sabotage". You can't see it coming until it hits you right in the face with "Mission Accomplished" :lol

It'll depend on how NamcoBandai manages the franchise from now on. There is a RPG announced for each next-gen console.

If TotT does >500k in Japan, there will be another one I'm sure.

(PS2 got 5)

Emotions said:
If it's succesful they won't, like they didn't do with TOS, once the DS game is succesful it'll help them to fund an exclusive Tales of for the PSP or XBOX360 . :lol This is not far from the truth .

Except for the fact that the Nintendo DS is the most popular system in Japan right now so they would. The only reason they ported Tales of Symphonia to PS2 and then released the other Tales games on PS2 only is simply because PS2 is the market leader in Japan.

Viewtiful Darkness said:
Except for the fact that the Nintendo DS is the most popular system in Japan right now so they would. The only reason they ported Tales of Symphonia to PS2 and then released the other Tales games on PS2 only is simply because PS2 is the market leader in Japan.

Not only that, but also the fact that the PS2 got the first Tales game of this generation. Tales of Destiny 2. Which in fact sold a hell of a lot more copies than Symphonia GC.

Emotions said:
QFT

Symphonia did very well, yet Namco has shunned the GC since then. -_-

PhoenixDark said:
QFT

Symphonia did very well, yet Namco has shunned the GC since then. -_-

Well, Destiny 2 previously on PS2 sold way more, then the port of Symphonia also outsold the GC version, then Rebirth which was a project naturally started after Destiny 2 from the same team for PS2 also sold more than GC Symphonia.

Namco hates localisation, so it didn't really matter that Symphonia was a success in Europe and NA. :p

Link1110 said:

Emotions said:

Just checked back on this thread and wanted to bump it.

In the period of time, Namco has indeed announced various Tales games for PSP (one of which is actually Tales of Destiny 2) AND an exclusive Tales game. It just baffles my mind though... the thing about the PSP game is that it's a continuation of the World games... which were on the GBA. Wouldn't it be logical to make it for the DS since the GBA market is most likely there? Not only that, but DS AND its software is a ****ing phenomenon in Japan right now. Does Namco Tales studio hate money or something? I just don't understand it. And it's not like they're doing this for the US audience (in which PSP is more popular), since Namco hates releasing Tales game outside Japan anyway. I mean it's great that PSP is getting so much Tales love, but I just don't understand their logic. Maybe I just want another Tales game for the DS since I really don't like Tempest's storyline/art direction. -_- (I don't have a PSP yet, I need a job, stfu. getting one soon I think, though!)

Koren

Chris Michael said:
But if it's succesful, will we actually get ANOTHER Tales game this time for a Nintendo system? PS2 got like 3 didn't it?
Maybe. But there's no interest in arguing this.

It WON'T be successful. Namco will look at games like Wind Waker, put expectations for TotT at 1.5 millions, only sell 900k, and call it a failure (and blame DS for lower financial results than "expected"). :lol

Koren said:
Maybe. But there's no interest in arguing this.

It WON'T be successful. Namco will look at games like Wind Waker, put expectations for TotT at 1.5 millions, only sell 900k, and call it a failure (and blame DS for lower financial results than "expected"). :lol

Sad but true. :lol Ironically NamcoBandai is the only third party company with a million seller on the DS thus far (that's most likely going to change with FFIII).

jarrod

Banned
Actually, I think Tempest has good chance of matching what the PS2 Tales generally sold (500-600k). Before I figured it'd do around Symphonia/Legendia numbers (300-350k) but after the FF3 explosion I think DS is well positioned to have a rather lucrative RPG market.

When does this game come out? The timing of its release could really hurt the sales. If it comes out this month, it'll be placed right between FFIII and Pokemon. :(

PhoenixDark said:
When does this game come out? The timing of its release could really hurt the sales. If it comes out this month, it'll be placed right between FFIII and Pokemon. :(

Late October...

ethelred

jarrod said:
Actually, I think Tempest has good chance of matching what the PS2 Tales generally sold (500-600k). Before I figured it'd do around Symphonia/Legendia numbers (300-350k) but after the FF3 explosion I think DS is well positioned to have a rather lucrative RPG market.

That's what I'm hoping, but I still have this nagging feeling it'll do Symphonia numbers.

ethelred said:
That's what I'm hoping, but I still have this nagging feeling it'll do Symphonia numbers.

I think it's a good thing it's coming out after big hits like FFIII and Pokemon, that could help it, really.

But yeah, around Symphonia numbers should be enough, I don't know if namco is expecting much more than that myself. They haven't quite promoted the game the way they promote the typical console Tales games. But I remember duckroll talking about initial shipments being up to 300K... so who knows... >_>

cvxfreak

I think the DS getting another Tales game is probable, although the presence of 4 of the games on the PSP makes things a bit interesting. There may very well be a split in the handheld Tales fanbase (PSP has Eternia, Phantasia FVE, Destiny 2, World 4).

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
There may very well be a split in the handheld Tales fanbase (PSP has Eternia, Phantasia FVE, Destiny 2, World 4).
There already is...

PSP = Tales ports + outsourced spinoffs
DS = original, fully fledged Tales

...I'd expect that trend to continue.

Chris Michael said:

In the period of time, Namco has indeed announced various Tales games for PSP (one of which is actually Tales of Destiny 2) AND an exclusive Tales game. It just baffles my mind though... the thing about the PSP game is that it's a continuation of the World games... which were on the GBA. Wouldn't it be logical to make it for the DS since the GBA market is most likely there? Not only that, but DS AND its software is a ****ing phenomenon in Japan right now. Does Namco Tales studio hate money or something?

Well, part of it is probably technical. A lot of the PSP Tales games are ports of PS2-PS1 versions, which really isn't possible on the DS because it's hard to fit everything on a cd/dvd onto a cart...(which they tried with their Xenogears 1&2 for DS, which seemingly flopped). And one is a full voice version, which again isn't possible on the DS.

Koren

Magicpaint said:
I don't know if namco is expecting much more than that myself. They haven't quite promoted the game the way they promote the typical console Tales games.
They do... Remember, they expected 200k for the port of Xenosaga for DS, when PS2 games, with a lot of advertisment, were doing something like... 250-300k ?

Does that sound reasonable ? (of course, Xeno DS did something like 30-35k)

ethelred

jarrod said:
There already is...

PSP = Tales ports + outsourced spinoffs
DS = original, fully fledged Tales

...I'd expect that trend to continue.

I'm curious why you keep referring to Radiant Mythology as an outsourced spinoff when for all we know Tempest may as well be outsourced, too -- given the way Team Destiny and Team Symphonia resources seem to be allocated at the moment, it's entirely likely that this is just being done by another Namco team outside of Tales Studio, or by someone else entirely.

trancejeremy said:
Well, part of it is probably technical. A lot of the PSP Tales games are ports of PS2-PS1 versions, which really isn't possible on the DS because it's hard to fit everything on a cd/dvd onto a cart...(which they tried with their Xenogears 1&2 for DS, which seemingly flopped). And one is a full voice version, which again isn't possible on the DS.

They never tried to fit stuff from CDs/DVDs from the PS2 Xeno games into Xenosaga I & II. Xeno DS was an original game that retained nothing in terms of the PS2 games' assets -- it had new artwork, new sprites (instead of 3D character models), new music, new writing.

Neo_Dasus

Chris Michael said:

In the period of time, Namco has indeed announced various Tales games for PSP (one of which is actually Tales of Destiny 2) AND an exclusive Tales game. It just baffles my mind though... the thing about the PSP game is that it's a continuation of the World games... which were on the GBA. Wouldn't it be logical to make it for the DS since the GBA market is most likely there? Not only that, but DS AND its software is a ****ing phenomenon in Japan right now. Does Namco Tales studio hate money or something? I just don't understand it. And it's not like they're doing this for the US audience (in which PSP is more popular), since Namco hates releasing Tales game outside Japan anyway. I mean it's great that PSP is getting so much Tales love, but I just don't understand their logic. Maybe I just want another Tales game for the DS since I really don't like Tempest's storyline/art direction. -_- (I don't have a PSP yet, I need a job, stfu. getting one soon I think, though!)

Maybe some games would just work better on the PSP than the DS.

Ever think of that?

EDIT: Nevermind, of course you did, but you just denied it.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
I'm curious why you keep referring to Radiant Mythology as an outsourced spinoff when for all we know Tempest may as well be outsourced, too -- given the way Team Destiny and Team Symphonia resources seem to be allocated at the moment, it's entirely likely that this is just being done by another Namco team outside of Tales Studio, or by someone else entirely.
What's Team Symphonia working on now? Abyss will have been wrapped up nearly a year ago when Tempest releases... worst case scenario might be a Namco developed game, but then I wouldn't exactly call that "outsourced". Not in the same sense as if Alfa System made it anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hopefully not, as the DS has limited the game (in particular, the lack of full voice is disappointing). We've received so many Tales games on older hardware and it's time to move on. I hope the next Tales game shows up on a next-gen platform. Hopefully PS3. I wouldn't mind a 360 version, but I prefer to play the Japanese versions of Tales titles and I have no plans to ever purchase a Japanese 360 as it would be virtually worthless for the most part.

Abyss was awesome and it seems that all of the upcoming Tales titles won't be able to compare (though some are just remakes).

ethelred

jarrod said:
What's Team Symphonia working on now? Abyss will have been wrapped up nearly a year ago when Tempest releases... worst case scenario might be a Namco developed game, but then I wouldn't exactly call that "outsourced". Not in the same sense as if Alfa System made it anyway.

Hopefully next-gen stuff, at this point. I don't know -- I'd just be a bit surprised if this was Team Symphonia's work. It doesn't really seem like them. I think you'll agree that prior to the Tales of Destiny remake being announced, it seemed pretty clear the game had more of the hallmarks of Team Destiny than Symphonia.

Hey, if Tempest is by them, though, I won't complain; that virtually ensures quality (hideous artwork aside).

dark10x said:
Hopefully not, as the DS has limited the game (in particular, the lack of full voice is disappointing). We've received so many Tales games on older hardware and it's time to move on. I hope the next Tales game shows up on a next-gen platform. Hopefully PS3. I wouldn't mind a 360 version, but I prefer to play the Japanese versions of Tales titles and I have no plans to ever purchase a Japanese 360 as it would be virtually worthless for the most part.

Abyss was awesome and it seems that all of the upcoming Tales titles won't be able to compare (though some are just remakes).

Yeah, yeah, we get it, you hate the DS.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Hopefully next-gen stuff, at this point. I don't know -- I'd just be a bit surprised if this was Team Symphonia's work. It doesn't really seem like them. I think you'll agree that prior to the Tales of Destiny remake being announced, it seemed pretty clear the game had more of the hallmarks of Team Destiny than Symphonia.

Hey, if Tempest is by them, though, I won't complain; that virtually ensures quality (hideous artwork aside).
Agreed, I still get the feeling it's probably Team Destiny, despite the TOD remake... unless maybe Tales Studio's grown to support a 3rd full R&D team (besides the port/mobile team).

dark10x

Yet I own two?

My point is valid. This new installment is a step back for the series (on several fronts). Are you denying this fact?

Ah well, no point in getting worked up about it. My main point is that it's time for next-gen hardware.

Brofist

ethelred said:

he's not a hater, just a graphics whore :) DS + graphics whore does not commute unfortunately.

I'm the same way, I'd rather see a real next gen Tales game

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Yet I own two?

My point is valid. This new installment is a step back for the series (on several fronts). Are you denying this fact?

Ah well, no point in getting worked up about it. My main point is that it's time for next-gen hardware.
A step backwards in some regards (voiced skits, 3D visuals) but it's still rather good looking (especially considering hardware capabilities) plus it's adding new components to the series (online for one). I don't really see Tempest as the "next" main Tales game though, if anything it looks more like a companion game... my guess is that Team Symphonia's hard at work on either a PS3 or Wii Tales game, and Tempest is probably coming from a split Team Destiny (with the other half handling the remake).

ethelred

dark10x said:
Yet I own two?

Yes, I would deny your "fact" that the game is a step back for the series. It's a handheld game, not a home console game, and it'd be delusional to expect it to be the equivalent of Tales of the Abyss in any way. That doesn't mean the series is heading in a backwards direction, or even that this game in particular is, nor does it mean that the game will automatically be bad.

kpop100 said:
he's not a hater, just a graphics whore :) DS + graphics whore does not commute unfortunately.

I'd rather see both (which I assume we will be seeing!). Gasp, shock -- some people like handheld systems and home consoles and don't automatically view anything on the former as being a bad thing that's keeping us from the latter.

If you're so eager to see next-gen Tales, take it up with the PS2, not the DS, because ToDr seems far more likely at fault for us not seeing a next-gen Tales at this point than Tempest.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:

Since when do graphics whores and Tales games "commute"? Not since 1994 I'd say...

Brofist

jarrod said:
Since when do graphics whores and Tales games "commute"? Not since 1994 I'd say...

I wouldn't expect FFXIII levels of course, just some nice art, and a nice crisp looking game running in HD. I thought the GC Tales was a decent looking game.

ethelred said:
I'd rather see both (which I assume we will be seeing!). Gasp, shock -- some people like handheld systems and home consoles and don't automatically view anything on the former as being a bad thing that's keeping us from the latter.

If you're so eager to see next-gen Tales, take it up with the PS2, not the DS, because ToDr seems far more likely at fault for us not seeing a next-gen Tales at this point than Tempest.

I don't care that the DS gets a new game, as long as like you say there are both console and handheld Tales games released, and not just DS.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Yes, I would deny your "fact" that the game is a step back for the series. Far be it for me, or anyone else, to not enter into the delusion that any handheld game would be the graphical match for Tales of the Abyss.
It's obviously not going to be able to match the 3D of Symphonia/Abyss, but it's still rather great looking. Looks surprisingly close Radiant Mythology actually in terms of environments and general geometry (the battle models are a little rougher, though they're using stencil lining effects on top while RM's got basically just flat textures). Neither of these games even touch what the console 3D Tales look like though.

The only real step back is probably going to be in terms of voice, which should be a major blow to the Sonycore animuRPG audience, and (given Hometek's localization efforts) a major benefit to the rest of us. ;)

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
I wouldn't expect FFXIII levels of course, just some nice art, and a nice crisp looking game running in HD. I thought the GC Tales was a decent looking game.
My point was though, not since Phantasia has Tales been a bleeding edge RPG visually. This isn't a series graphics whores usually gravitate towards...

dark10x

jarrod said:
Technically speaking, the series has rarely been top tier, but the art direction is generally solid and the environments themselves are great looking. Symphonia was fantastic looking and completely 60 fps while Abyss was even better looking in a lot of ways (but suffered from a few new problems, though battles were 60 fps thankfully) and introduced some of the most beautiful locales ever to grace the series. The 2D games are nice as well.

Brofist

jarrod said:
My point was though, not since Phantasia has Tales been a bleeding edge RPG visually. This isn't a series graphics whores usually gravitate towards...

True, but really what JRPGs outside of FF do if you really think about it?

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Technically speaking, the series has rarely been top tier, but the art direction is generally solid and the environments themselves are great looking.
Funny, you just described Tales of the Tempest.

kpop100 said:
True, but really what JRPGs outside of FF do if you really think about it?
I dunno? Level 5 RPGs? MistWalker RPGs? Kingdom Hearts? Zelda?... really though, maybe this is the sort of discussion one should have outside a Tales thread?

Top Bottom