• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Tales of the Tempest is succesful, would Namco make another Tales for the DS?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wow -- per jarrod, tempest is visually closer to radiant mythology than radiant mythology is to abyss. trolling or cataracts? IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Funny, you just described Tales of the Tempest.
How so?

A middling technical effort on PS2/GC class hardware can produce some fine results and would also be light years beyond the absolute BEST technical efforts on Nintendo DS. N64/PSX/DS realtime 3D visuals are simply not attractive to me.

dark10x said:
How so?

A middling technical effort on PS2/GC class hardware can produce some fine results and would also be light years beyond the absolute BEST technical efforts on Nintendo DS. N64/PSX/DS realtime 3D visuals are simply not attractive to me.

Well, no one is forcing you to buy TotT, but there are people out there who think the game looks just fine, and some of us don't mind some portable Tales gaming either.

It's pretty much 100% guaranteed that the next-gen Tales game you so crave is going to happen real soon (this is Tales afterall), so your anti-DS agenda is really not necessary in this case. More DS Tales doesn't automatically rule out Tales games on a console. The GBA and PS2 both had lots of Tales games, I'm sure everyone will be covered.

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
wow -- per jarrod, tempest is visually closer to radiant mythology than radiant mythology is to abyss. trolling or cataracts? IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY
Radiant Mythology looks sub-Dreamcast, it doesn't even begin to approach Symphonia, much less Abyss. I wouldn't expect an Alfa System made fanservice dress-up dungeon hack to approach big budget Tales Studio efforts, but then I'm not a hopeless PSP proponent either.

dark10x said:
How so?

Yet the art direction's pretty good and the enviroments in Tempest look great considering their hardware class, well beyond anything we saw on PSone or Saturn. Hell , they don't look that far off from RM's environments...

tot14.jpg
tot13.jpg
tot18.jpg
tot17.jpg
tot10.jpg
tot09.jpg
tot04.jpg

scr7_5b.jpg

scr7_3b.jpg

scr7_4b.jpg

scr10_2b.jpg

scr10_4b.jpg

scr10_3b.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
exhibit A:
tods041es3.jpg

exhibit B:
scr7_9b.jpg

exhibit C:
tota020cv3.jpg

jarrod, please state in your own words the relationship between exhibit a and exhibit b.

"maybe b's got slightly more detailed models, but they're surprisingly close!"

now please state the relationship between exhibits b and c.

"OH MY GOD THEY'RE NOTHING ALIKE."

gentlemen, we may never have such another chance to study the symptoms of nintendumbness -- usually by this stage it has reduced its victims to graphs of japanese ds sales and page-long screeds about "the blue ocean strategy."

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
exhibit A:
tods041es3.jpg

exhibit B:
scr7_9b.jpg

exhibit C:
tales-of-the-abyss-20060803053928545.jpg

"jarrod, please state in your own words the relationship between exhibit a and exhibit b."

"maybe b's got slightly more detailed models, but they're surprisingly close!"

"now please state the difference between exhibits b and c."

"OH MY GOD THEY'RE NOTHING ALIKE."
Are we really going to get into screenswars over Tales games? Fine...

exhibit A:
tot17.jpg

exhibit B:
scr7_4b.jpg

exhibit C:
tales-of-the-abyss-20051118115627043.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
at least pick comparable screens like drohne did...
I would, but for some reason Namco hasn't given any fuller RM environmental shots. Which is basically the one area where Tales games tend to shine visually (see: Symphonia/Abyss/Tempest).

lancubap

Oblivion said:
I think it's more like if TotT is successful, then Namco definitely WON'T make a sequel. :lol

Yeah. See Tales of Symphonia. It has been successful in Japan, but overall in USA and Europe and what has done Namco ? A lot of sequel for PS2 and nothing more for GC.

Look at this, we already have:

A) Cry Mode - No more tales on GC

B) Battle for the graphics, NDS vs PSP.

Whats next on our usual gaf tales threads?

C) Tales Hating Team arrival

D) Namco Hometek bitching

I will join D, please let me know when you get into it :D

Top Bottom