• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could have one fictional character mentor you, who would it be? *Read OP*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You can pick any fictional character.

Several important rules are in place:

Hereditary Powers can not be learned. Unless you want to learn how to be a boyscout, being mentored by Superman would be kind of useless. You won't suddenly become Kryptonian. You may be able to learn all the fighting styles Wolverine knows, but you'll never have a power because you don't have a X Gene. Magic in Harry Potter is heriditary with somehow them being able to tell you can use magic at an arbitrary age, thus learning from a mage in Harry Potter would do you no good.

You can have the power to train and develop a skill or ability as long as it is possible for a regular human to do so in the fictional character's world. Talent and natural ability still exist so there is a chance you still won't be very good at what is taught, but the potential is there. If you chose Goku or Gohan you have the potential to learn how to manipulate Ki, but you will still be at the limitations of being a human. Magic seems to be learnable, to some extant, by anyone in the Marvel Universe as long as the training and knowledge imparted is there.

The mentor will want to teach you. No matter who is picked, even a villain, they will not want to harm you.

*I'm still not sure if I would include something like getting a Power Ring (Green Lantern) when mentored by a Lantern. Technically I might allow it just because canonically it seems hard to be chosen and even if you are the thing might technically be unusable for you so it is a huge gamble. Green Arrow and Batman have tried to use the Green Power Ring in the past and it was absolutely awful for Green Arrow and disastrous for Batman.

Example Mentors -

Goku or Gohan: Learn how to fight and manipulate Ki
Doctor Strange: Be taught by The Sorcerer Supreme.
Doctor Doom: Be taught Science and Magic by the Leader of Latveria himself.
Batman: Learn all the fighting techniques, detective skills, and how to build and use all of the technology Batman uses.
Lex Luthor: Learn how to be a ruthless businessman and inventor

Apt101

John Constantine. Without a doubt. I just hope I'd live through 26 pages worth of illustrated narrative.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Sherlock Holmes, then earn billions solving just about every big name case in the world

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Obi-Wan, awaken the Force.
Low chance I can learn that? Do you think i care?
Is this even a question? Really.

Salamando

Henry Pym/Ant-Man.

With Pym particles, I could rent a studio apartment and make it not soul-crushingly small and oppressive...Not to mention acquiring the programming and high-functioning AI expertise to make my own robot butler.

injurai

Banned
Sherlock Holmes, then earn billions solving just about every big name case in the world

This was going to be mine, but you can't be taught genius. Maybe the original is more ordinary, but the new BBC Sherlock is most certainly a sociopathic genius.

saitama from one punch man

one_punch_man_saitama96bjw.gif

to be able to do that with just by doing 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and 10km of running everyday.

Currygan

This was going to be mine, but you can't be taught genius. Maybe the original is more ordinary, but the new BBC Sherlock is most certainly a sociopathic genius.

SH's skills do indeed border on the supernatural even in the book version; while he loves to downplay his abilities to Watson by saying it's just a matter of training, his instantaneous deductions are out of a regular human's league. But if Elijah Snow managed to learn from him, then I can too

also, lol
18dxjr1zt9slqjpg.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I can't even imagine being taught by the BBC new Sherlock even if he was infatuated with teaching you. He'd be all over the place.

ojsinnerz

Neo Member
Master Asia from G Gundam. Learning how to fight robots 100 times my size with a piece of cloth and win? Yes please.

Chichikov

How does one earn billion solving crimes?
In any case, Holmes' methodology is stupid.

The only reason to pick him is for the free cocaine, which truth to be told is a pretty good reason.

FloatOn

black dynamite. I'd learn to be the smoothest motherfucker on the planet.

also nunchuck skills when things got rough

novenD

Princess Celestia.
* Millennia of wisdom and practical leadership experience
* If you can magic, she can teach you how to magic harder than loving Dumbledore
* Probably nicer than your own grandmother
* Hardcore enough to adorn her castle with pictures of her greatest failure so she would be reminded of it every day for a thousand fucking years

CHECKMATE GAF

scotcheggz

Mr Miyagi. Don't really wanna know Karate or anything, but I just reckon he's a cool guy and hey, free classic car!

Monocle

Gandalf the Grey. Best grandpa ever.

Hannibal Lecter (Mads version): He could teach me all sorts of awesome cooking techniques.
The mountain of ethical problems aside, this would actually be interesting if you had an absolute guarantee that he'd leave you and everyone you know alone. He's a genius with impeccable taste in the arts. And probably really handy around the house.

If nothing else your wardrobe and home decor would get a vast upgrade.

hunnies28

You can have the power to train and develop a skill or ability as long as it is possible for a regular human to do so in the fictional character's world.

Learning to use Haki from a One Piece character.

Currygan

How does one earn billion solving crimes?
In any case, Holmes' methodology is stupid.

The only reason to pick him is for the free cocaine, which truth to be told is a pretty good reason.

just imagine all those rich assholes and their kidnappings and shit. don't want publicity? call Currygan, the best PD on the planet. Of course, I'd ask Nero Wolfe level fees

clove

Neo Member
bFbh3D0.jpg

Yeah learning some super powers would be cool and all, but what would you actually do with that? Impress people? Brock Samson would be a legitimately cool mentor, teaching how to fight, and how to love. Plus you could talk about Led Zeppelin all day while lifting.

Kakashi crom Naruto.

Not a big fan if Naruto but I really dug this character and he seems pretty chill,
also he's like the last hokage
from what i've heard

John "The Boogeyman" Wick.

They call him fucking Baba Yaga. The Russian mafia lord beats up his own son when he realizes who he messed with. And yet everyone who knows him seems to like him in a friendly sort of way. And he avoids killing people he knows. He's like some kinda ultra friendly badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom