• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you got an NES Classic, did you end up playing it much? Are you still playing it?

I was excited to get it. I put about 100 extra games on it. The interface is cool and I'm 38 so I did grow up on this stuff and the graphics aren't shockingly bad or anything.

It's just, these games are really dated and simple. For the most part, they're not fun anymore. My wife did play Dr. Mario a lot. But it's not been turned on in 3 months and it's shoved under a shelf right now.

The good thing is that it's made me much less interested in the SNES Classic. I won't be participating in the stress of trying to get one of those. I think the older I get, the less interested I am in having "stuff" taking up space in my house and in my life. I mean, if I walk in a store and see a SNES Classic, I'll buy it. But as far as lining up, or F5-ing websites? Hell no. I'm over that.

You can repackage this thing like brand new, and I will soon. Then it'll just sit in a bin in my basement and then maybe someday, I'll remember I have it in perfect condition, say "Hey I wonder how much that thing's worth now?" and it'll be something like $10,000 and then I'll be pretty happy. I hope they make 10 million SNES Classics so those are never rare, and the NES Classic remains the only rare one.

Mash83

Mine was in the box until recently. Im glad I have it but I really dont see myself spending a whole lot of time with it. Ive turned it on maybe 2 or 3 times since I got it for Christmas.

The SNES though....Ill be spending some time with that one.

Arkanius

You people with yours still boxed, you should be friends of the community and sell those at a small markup to the people that do want them :(

Gartooth

This thread sucks. I never had an NES but couldn't be bothered to stand out hours in the cold to get one. I eventually said fuck it and played through a couple NES games on VC. I did come to appreciate how incredible SMB3 is for its time!

I am prepared to fight tooth and nail for SNES classic though. That was my first console and there's a couple games in the library I still want to play.

I got one at retail price, just dumb luck as I was checking out the electronics section at Walmart. There were a couple of them and I sent my wife back in for more. We got one for us, one for a good friend (didn't even charge her for it) and one for my wifes sister which I believe she also didn't charge her for.

I played the hell out of it at first even tho I have my original and a nice collection in the gameroom downstairs, stopped playing for awhile and ordered some 10ft cord extensions so we could sit on the couch in the livingroom to play, they took forever to come but when they did, started playing again.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's just, these games are really dated and simple. For the most part, they're not fun anymore. My wife did play Dr. Mario a lot. But it's not been turned on in 3 months and it's shoved under a shelf right now.

The good thing is that it's made me much less interested in the SNES Classic. I won't be participating in the stress of trying to get one of those. I think the older I get, the less interested I am in having "stuff" taking up space in my house and in my life. I mean, if I walk in a store and see a SNES Classic, I'll buy it. But as far as lining up, or F5-ing websites? Hell no. I'm over that.

I never got one due to the shortage, but i was tempted and looked online off and on for a while.

I'm glad I didn't get one for the reasons you note. I ended up saying fuck it and finally figured out how to set up Retroarch and downloaded a bunch of games and realized I just don't really dig retro gaming. Even SNES and N64 stuff that I was more into than NES in my youth to me just pales in comparison to current games.

So no SNES mini for me even though that was my favorite console as a youth. Good luck to all those who want one.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I managed to snag one a few days before Christmas when Amazon Prime Now got some in. I played it a LOT with family around Christmas (Dr. Mario dickwaving contests) and spent a bunch of time with it in January after the hack to load additional titles came out, but I haven't touched it much since then. I should probably rectify that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My coworker has one and he modded it to have the entire NES library. He brought it to work a few times and we just let the intro music play while we worked and then he'd play on his break.

Other than that I don't know anyone who bought one.

He says he plays it every once and a while.

He's more excited about the ability to reverse engineer these things.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The one I bought for myself is on my TV stand with maybe 30 minutes of playtime. The one I bought for my cousin has received far more playtime I believe.

I.... never even opened it. Or the extra controller.

I blame the huge rise in value, the odd time I think about breaking it out to play a bit of Balloon Fight I then don't bother because that'd be throwing money away.

antibolo

Banned
Got both the NES and Famicom versions.

Right now they're just decorations on my desk, not even hooked up.

The emulation quality was not up to my standards, unfortunately.

I don't have much faith on the SNES Classic but I'll probably still buy it because of Star Fox 2. Gonna have to import the European version though, because fuck the ugly NA design.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I guess Nintendo was right in thinking core gamers weren't actually interested in playing old games when they said they made fewer as they thought it would be a novelty gift for casuals/lapsed gamers etc. They just didn't account for the collector/hoarder mentality among their fans. :D

I feel ya. My dog rules the roost at my place too. The things we do for our pets, lol.

Heh, it's more "I don't want to scold you because you broke my mini, so this is just best for everyone."

If you hack your mini, you can set the reset to a combination function on the controller.

Down + Select is straight up there on some controllers, I know. Still, this way just worked out for me. I'm considering hacking it and just dumping, but I have a pi and it works just fine. The Mini was a quick impulse that I saw on a tweet from Wario on a restock.

I haven't played mine in a couple of weeks, but it's seen extensive use. Makes for a great party piece when friends come over (or invite you over to their place), and is so small you can bring it with you on holidays and trips. Beat Mario 3 with my mom on New Year's Eve, got to watch my younger cousins struggle to get past the first level of ANYTHING with their crippled little current-gen difficulty handicaps. Loved every second of it. Have also brought it to work for monthly game nights. It's just so easy to pack up and plug in, there's no excuse not to share it with everyone. Looking forward to the same with the SNES, though a lot of those games are less bite-sized.

doowrah

I always wanted one just to have a Balloon Fight box.

I can wait till online NES multi for Switch though. That'll be the Balloon Fight dream...

dsc_0218j2lt2.jpg

Yes, I absolutely love how portable it is. I bring it to friends regularly to play Dr. Mario, Bomberman or Super C and we have a blast. Games look great on the TV. I also replayed and finished SMB3, Kirby, Metroid and a few others on it and enjoyed every second. I feel sorry for some of you guys who couldn't get one, maybe you'll be luckier this time around.

I did mess around with mine a little bit, but ya didn't really play it all that much. It's definitely a cool collectors item tho.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't have one, partly because I don't think I would have used it that much (and the Swedish price was silly - the equivalent of over $90). Many/most of those games (not counting the Mario titles and a few others) just don't hold up all that well. Simple little arcade experiences without much longevity. And some of the larger games are just so dated by today's standards.

The games packed into the SNES Classic are much more substantial, and remain very playable and beautiful to look at to this day, so that one I'm getting (I hope). I expect to spend quite some time with it.

I played it for a few hours, and was honestly waiting for final build of mods to release so I can play it some more. I even got an extra controller and extension cords.

And now we have SNES so my NES is going in a box.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just put a solid hour into Metroid without even noticing I was going for that long, the game holds up damn well.

Also have played Super Mario Bros 2, it's a fantastic game still today.

Overall, I am surprised how well many NES games still play. Have played Ducktales and Chip & Dale recently on my Analogue NT Mini

Save states are the real killer feature, makes me play NES much more. Wish Analogue would get them.

Paid retail for mine and put in a good amount of time into Zelda 1, Contra and Mario 3. But since I got a Switch it went unused for a couple months and just recently sold it.

I love it! I never really had the opportunity to play any NES games when I was a kid, so it's great to finally get a vaguely authentic NES experience. (I mean, I picked up the odd game on the Virtual Console over the years, but, you know. Vaguely authentic experience!) Metroid has aged really well. My only complaint is I forgot how irritating the extremely short lead is for the controller. I'm conflicted between buying an extension lead or a wireless non-official controller.

Skronk

Banned
This topic proves that so many people have left the thing boxed that it's not going to be worth that much in the future. Just play it.

You guys are like the comic book collectors who buy every 1st issue and keep it mint expecting to have an Action Comics no.1 on your hands when you're old. Forgetting that the only reason that AC iss extra valuable is because it survived dumb 1930's kids and a WORLD WAR!

This topic proves that so many people have left the thing boxed that it's not going to be worth that much in the future. Just play it.

You guys are like the comic book collectors who buy every 1st issue and keep it mint expecting to have an Action Comics no.1 on your hands when you're old. Forgetting that the only reason that AC iss extra valuable is because it survived dumb 1930's kids and a WORLD WAR!

It's honestly pretty frustrating, because there are quite a bit of people out there like me that want this thing to actually play it.

I just like having it. Looks cool. I will take it out of the box and set it up eventually. Just not in a rush to do so now.

I enjoyed it. Had fun hacking it. I liked the UI. But ultimately I already have a RGB NES, Everdrive and Framemeister set up so I didn't really need it and I pulled it out when I was tidying up my under-TV area. Now looking for all the constituent parts of the packaging do I can keep it in good nick.

Yes. I played it quite a bit up until the Switch released. Actually plan to play a bit more this weekend in anticipation of the Super Nintendo mini which I was able to successfully preorder.

Did some runs of Super Mario Bros 1&3, played through Kirby, Mega Man 2, Contra 2 (which I've only played in the PAL Probotector version which I kinda prefer tbh.), tried and failed to get good at Gradius, played Final Fantasy 1 quite a bit, got up to Death Mountain in Zelda 2 when playing it a few days before I got Breath of the Wild.

Now I've played most of these games extensively when I was a kid, so it really was a nice nostalgic experience and I take 60hz, HDMI, save states and some small emulation hickups over the 50hz versions I could technically also still play (never modded my OG NES). Plan to finally play Startropics, I waited with that since I've always wanted it back then and never got it. And replay Zelda 1 now after 135 hours of BotW.

Now Super Nintendo mini, I am super excited about, never had a SNES as a kid, only much later and many of the games I've played in rereleases or VC and some of them, not at all. I truly plan to play the shit out of that system.

My family and I played ours for a few days after Christmas.

My wife and kids haven't played it since. I've only played it a couple of times.

The issue for them was that there wasn't enough games they enjoyed on it.

I think my youngest daughter would like the SNES Classic more because she enjoys Yoshi games.

Wow, this thread. People who buy something just to possess it, never use it, they just want a thing solely because it's wantable... it just reminds me of Joseph Campbell talking about the European dragon, these creatures of avarice that are compelled to amass gold and virgins when they have no use for either.

Like another poster said: just print the goddamned box and display that lol.

TLZ

Banned
Yea hacked my mini Famicom and has all the games on it! Love it. Been playing dragon quest mostly on it so far but took a break to play on my other systems. Not enough time!

traveler

Not Wario
I've never actually played FFVI or Secret of Mana, so, at the very least, this an $80 port of those two games. Super Mario RPG was my first "favorite" game and I haven't played it in years, so I'll give that a rerun too, and I've never finished Super Metroid, so I can get around to doing that. Outside of that, any use I get out of it is gravy.

Top Bottom