• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Grew Up With the NES: Why Were Levels Called Boards?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'm trying to figure this out myself. I don't remember seeing levels called "boards" in any of the big gaming magazines back in the day, but I definitely remember calling them that with my friends and brothers (ex., "I can't beat the last board in this game!"). Did anyone else do this? I wonder how we ended up using the term.

Dural

My wife calls them boards, I've always said levels. Made fun of her the first time she used the term, didn't know what the hell she was talking about.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They weren’t. Mainly stages or levels.

Boards came from the old arcade and Atari years when games were just static screens that just got harder with different layouts much like playing table top games of the time. You rearranged the “ board “

Last edited:
Weird.. .I mean... I def heard a lot of random words thrown around back before people were accustomed to the systems but we usually
called them levels, stages or whatever, this is the first Ive heard of Boards. East coast US for reference.

Just like its rare but I heard many people call the system a "deck" and of course a lot of people called the NES carts "tapes" at the time
but yeah board is a new one for me.

Isa

Good question, haha. Also also call my controllers "paddles" to this day.

Absolutely Disgusting. J/k my best friend calls them that too, and I regularly chastise him saying that the only thing getting paddled is his ass. Or he should only be paddling his children or wife. LoL.

Seems to be holdover colloquial terminology from oldschool regional vernacular. Practitioners should be excised and shunned.

goldenpp72

Boards was never really a universal term but more like an accepted one like lives, extra men, 1ups, credits, etc. After so long a dominant term will usually take over.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Romulus

Boards cames from the old arcade and Atari years when games were just static screens that just got harder with different layouts much like playing table top games of the time. You rearranged the “ board “

They apparently were because everyone I knew referred to levels as boards unless maybe ps1 era.

Tesseract

Banned
yeah, levels or boards, stages

that transitioned to maps in the 3d era

conquer when you finished the game, there's prolly more

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
it was the dominant term in the south, i know that much

i don't think it lasted long, def not all the way through the 16bits

Last edited:

MastAndo

My friends and I used to call them boards as well, OP. I suppose it's a regional thing? I'm guessing it comes from board games.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Boards cames from the old arcade and Atari years when games were just static screens that just got harder with different layouts much like playing table top games of the time. You rearranged the “ board “

Yeah it was levels and stages where I grew up in Wisconsin.

I didn't hear "paddle" for the controller until I moved to the South in the 90s.

I'm hearing "boards" for the first time ever in this thread.

Last edited:
Never used “board,” but I heard people say it back in the day. It was always “level” or “stage” (somehow based on the game). We did use the word “conquer” for if you completed a game, which I always found weird. Not much anymore though, now it’s just “beat” or “completed.”

Last edited:
Just input from the UK here, we never used boards.. Sheets, or levels, can't quite remember what order they came into use.

Fellow Brit, and can confirm this is the first time I have ever heard anyone use the term 'boards'.

I even recently rewatched a load of old late 80's through to mid 90's British gaming TV shows on YouTube, and would have remembered hearing such an odd term.

Last edited:
Yea no i grew up in atari then NES era and never ever heard anyone use the term boards..it was always "get to the next level" or sometimes stage

Last edited:

Codes 208

For reference, and for the people saying they weren't called that, I was watching the newest OneyPlays for Fall Guys, and he called the level a "board," which took me back.

In a similar manner, on game grumps Arin calls them levels but Dan calls them boards

I forget which game this came up in, Dan brought a mention that it had something to do with pac-man

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Boards was an arcade term wasn't it? Because each level in most games was a single screen and it was an extension of the "arcade board."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Typical American here, but I never called them that. It was stages or levels.

What’s weird is I never referred to the Xbox controller as “the Duke”. It was kinda strange to hear that term years later. It felt like a complaint more than it was something cool.

When I hear board I think the actual board where the chips sit. I think of a Konami, Capcom or another arcade game saying “Next Stage” or “Level Complete”.

Top Bottom