• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were in my shoes, would you pick up food from the ground if it wasn't opened?

Now I am not talking picking up something like a donut or a slice of pizza but food that hasn't been opened yet. Like a bag of chips or one of those individually wrapped little debbie cakes. I was thinking about picking it up, but I might get people giving me strange looks. And it has been outside for the past few days. But it was cold so I double the chocolate frosting melted.

Now I am not talking picking up something like a donut or a slice of pizza but food that hasn't been opened yet. Like a bag of chips or one of those individually wrapped little debbie cakes. I was thinking about picking it up, but I might get people giving me strange looks. And it has been outside for the past few days. But it was cold so I double the chocolate frosting melted.

Seriously what the fuck, are you honestly asking if its ok to eat rubbish?

Dubloon7

Banned
no. you don't know what damage has been to it. maybe the previous owner has an STD or placed anthrax or something in it. avoid the garbage and go buy your own garbage

no. you don't know what damage has been to it. maybe the previous owner has an STD or placed anthrax or something in it. avoid the garbage and go buy your own garbage
How would it have std's if it was wrapped like this (not Little Debbies just it as an example)?

img-thing

Last edited:

lil puff

Even though it may be wrapped, it can still be foul.

All the chocolate and other candies at the outdoor newsstands get this nasty crust and greyish color when opened.

But if you really wanted to, you could always drop your wallet or something and quickly pick both up LOL!

Fbh

What? no. Specially not after a few days
You don't know what has been done with it or what is has been in contact with.
Sure it hasn't been opened but stuff can still get through, the packaging was designed to protect the product in a store, not outside on the floor for several days (and who knows where before)

It's Jeff

Banned
Ground food? Risky! If you want it, take it. People will look at you like you're a sasquatch though.

Is there no counter level food where you are? You know, not floor food?

Tapioca

Banned
It sounds like you have a food addiction. No one in normal circumstances will fantasize about a random ground twinkie.

ar0s

If sealed I would grab it, inspect the condition (air tight) and consider eating it if I was desperate enough.

It sounds like you are desperate so grab it and chow down.

Thanks to all in this thread who made me have a coughing fit in work to cover up laughing :D

Barsinister

Banned
Did you just find your shoes laying around somewhere too? Be careful with your body, it's the only one you'll have! I stuff my pants and shirt with cotton to avoid inconvenient bumps and abrasions.

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
Unless you're seriously strapped for cash and can't afford to eat, there's really no rational reason for you to be honestly considering doing this. Your story is also sorely missing out on details. What kind of snack are we talking about here? How public of an area? How much shame are you prepared to live with?

I've already changed my mind, eating that snack is now your life's mission. You should chronicle your heroic adventure with video and post it here as proof of your monumental deed.

eso76

Give it a few more weeks, if no one comes to claim it then pick it up and eat.

Ew.
Seriously, it shoud be removed before it lures in little kids.
And by removed I mean trashed.

ilfait

I picked up a sealed granola bar and ate it, and I might do it again should the opportunity arise and coincide with a powerful hunger and a powerful lack of money. Street granola is a rare delicacy that not many will ever experience, and the risk to your life makes it all the sweeter. It's hobo fugu.

Geki-D

Banned
If you see a packet of anything on the floor, closed and in good condition, I'd say you can pick it up. Why not?

camelCase

I picked up a sealed granola bar and ate it, and I might do it again should the opportunity arise and coincide with a powerful hunger and a powerful lack of money. Street granola is a rare delicacy that not many will ever experience, and the risk to your life makes it all the sweeter. It's hobo fugu.

Amazing

llien

There is a Russian "proverb" saying that if something fell, but was quickly picked up it counts as if it it didn't fall at all.

Shifty

There is a Russian "proverb" saying that if something fell, but was quickly picked up it counts as if it it didn't fall at all.
There's a british playground proverb called the Three Second Rule that's essentially that. Or was back in my day, at least.

In reality contamination is a function of position rather than time, so it's all nonsense in the end.

lachesis

If I live in a zombie apocalypse, I would. But in reality - unless it's a canned good with no damage around it and expiration date not has passed - I won't pick up.

Top Bottom