• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Igarashi says he’d be “incredibly honored” to make a Metroid game

Rambler

This is a complete non-story and one that's been reported half a dozen times over the years with no differences. How do people expect him to respond to such a question?
I wish people would ask this question to the guy who's actually in charge of Metroid for once, instead of people who have nothing to do with it.

clem84

Gold Member
If I look at my favorite Metroidvanias created by Iga, which for me would be Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruins, to me those were better than any of the 2D Metroid games. And BTW I think those were also all great. Iga just refined the formula.

Nintendo is always looking to outsource to grow their output while using their franchises. Just give it to him. Nintendo will of course, as usual, be supervising a little bit. There's no way this will turn out bad.

cireza

I would be ok with IGA working on a 2D Metroid game.

But for now, he should focus on delivering the best game possible with Bloodstained.

mantidor

I love igavanias but... No. No, thanks.

Metroid for me is now a lost cause, if Sakamoto couldn't bring it to 3D and actually failed spectacularly at that no one will, it's disheartening but it is what it is.

JediLink

Metroid doesn't need to be given to anyone outside (unless it's Retro). There are absolutely people working at Nintendo already who could make a fantastic traditional Metroid game if they were simply given the opportunity to.

RK128

Nintendo likely doesn't care about Metroid anymore (well, 2D Metroid Specifically) so this likely wont happen sadly :(.

But man, if there ever was a perfect team/man to work on a Metroid project, Igarashi is the one.

Mortemis

Banned
This is like one of those dream "what if" scenarios you see people talk about. aka it won't happen. It'd be pretty fucking awesome though.

I'm sure you guys will love the next Metroid game though, Metroid: Other Federation Force M!

Menitta

Sure! Honestly at this point, I'll take what I can get. He makes a good one, fine. Beggars can't be choosers, and I'm begging for a good 2D Metroid game.

D.Lo

Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruins, to me those were better than any of the 2D Metroid games.
Super Metroid, and Zero Mission are light years better designed games than SoTN, and SoTN is far better than any of Igarashi's games.

And BTW I think those were also all great. Iga just refined the formula.
More like Toru Hagihara unrefined the formula (and Igarashi just copied that). 'Refined' actually means the opposite of 'added heaps of junk'.

MoonFrog

I see Igavania's Metroid-esque elements as secondary to the experience, myself. There's a nice feeling of exploration to the Igavania games, but the level design itself is pretty uninteresting. The real guts of those games are the stat management via equipment and enemy familiarity. They're more platform RPGs than the type of action puzzle adventure Metroid exemplifies.

I wouldn't call them secondary, but yes. The games are not Metroid clones and the RPG stuff is not just tacked on but rather the game is more geared towards that with lighter platforming and puzzles, heavier action gauntlet focus, whereas Metroid has tighter level design and game flow and focuses on environmental puzzles and action/platforming gadgets. SotN is not a SM clone. They have important similarities with pathfinding and a labyrinthine map to explore but both have other things going on core to their identity.

It is a similar difference as exists between Zelda and an action RPG with a series of dungeons.

This is also why I'm not keen on the idea. Perhaps Iga could make a great Metroid game, but I don't think we have evidence of that. I definitely wouldn't want a Castlevania with a Metroid skin. Then again, I have no idea who would make a good 2D Metroid and has the team to do so with them. Perhaps Sakamoto could, but he hasn't in 20 years and Fusion and Other M plus his own comments show he has no interest in doing so either. He has less structural hurdles to do now, perhaps, with EAD and SPD merged.

Schnozberry

Its such a shame so many of these franchises reside with Nintendo.

Yeah, it'd be way better if they were put into the yearly iteration meat grinder and had every ounce of originality and soul wrung out of them in exchange for microtransactions and cheap spectacle.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Barf.

I enjoy most of his Metroidvanias, but they don't hold a candle to Metroids' highs in terms of game structure and map design. Strip out the loot system and the gulf only widens.

KingBroly

Banned
He knows how to make Metroidvanias

He does not know how to make Metroid

To be fair, Nintendo probably doesn't anymore either.

Thank you. I don't mind a post SotN Castlevania game every once in a while but they're very different and bloated compared to actual Metroid games. Basics things like movement are fundamentally different and frankly suck in Castlevania games.

This is pretty much the whole difference with them, to me. The RPG/leveling/whatever in the exploration 'Vania games is a thing and doesn't make it TOO far apart, but the entire traversal system is always so slow and plodding. There's not a lot of thought put into how areas connect to the point where they made the teleporter rooms to kick you around quicker. More isn't always better. this is one of the finer points of Metroid that Axiom Verge totally nailed, IMO.

This isn't to say I dislike them, but I wouldn't want IGA making one. If they could do it, I'd maybe get WayForward. I know some people malign them, but goddammit they get it and Contra 4 was amazing and shows they know what the game they're making a sequel for is about.

SalvaPot

Gameplay-wise it could be great but I feel that Castlevania is a lot more wordy than Metroid purist claim they want.

It could be closer to Other M than to Fusion.

Crocodile

I love me some Igavanias but this is 100% a "thanks but no thanks" scenario for me.

Super Metroid, and Zero Mission are light years better designed games than SoTN, and SoTN is far better than any of Igarashi's games.

More like Toru Hagihara unrefined the formula (and Igarashi just copied that). 'Refined' actually means the opposite of 'added heaps of junk'.

I dunno I feel games like Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are better designed than like SOTN in many ways. Audio/Visual downgrades won't be an issue for a modern game. As I said before though, and in agreement with you, IGA isn't the man for this job.

This is also why I'm not keen on the idea. Perhaps Iga could make a great Metroid game, but I don't think we have evidence of that. I definitely wouldn't want a Castlevania with a Metroid skin. Then again, I have no idea who would make a good 2D Metroid and has the team to do so with them. Perhaps Sakamoto could, but he hasn't in 20 years and Fusion and Other M plus his own comments show he has no interest in doing so either. He has less structural hurdles to do now, perhaps, with EAD and SPD merged.

If they weren't already busy with Indivisible, I feel Lab Zero could do 2D Metroid well. The Indivisible demo was already impressive in a lot of ways, many people at the studio are fans of the series and it's pretty clear to me that Mike Z understands Metroid level design super well if you saw his Design Run streams on Super Metroid:

Part 1
Part 2

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are much better games than Symphony of the Night. SOTN is a classic, but it's a brute form game. It's so unbalanced, it's not funny.

I'd love to see what IGA would do with Metroid. I'm sure I'd prefer it to whatever Nintendo ends up doing with it. In any form.

D.Lo

I wouldn't call them secondary, but yes. The games are not Metroid clones and the RPG stuff is not just tacked on but rather the game is more geared towards that with lighter platforming and puzzles, heavier action gauntlet focus, whereas Metroid has tighter level design and game flow and focuses on environmental puzzles and action/platforming gadgets. SotN is not a SM clone. They have important similarities with pathfinding and a labyrinthine map to explore but both have other things going on core to their identity.

It is a similar difference as exists between Zelda and an action RPG with a series of dungeons.
Ah very well put.

Its such a shame so many of these franchises reside with Nintendo.
Lol what?

"It's such a shame Nintendo owns and controls the things they create".

Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are much better games than Symphony of the Night. SOTN is a classic, but it's a brute form game. It's so unbalanced, it's not funny.
I dunno I feel games like Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are better designed than like SOTN in many ways. Audio/Visual downgrades won't be an issue for a modern game. As I said before though, and in agreement with you, IGA isn't the man for this job.
Fair call, pretty funny how you both had the same two games! I do think Aria is Igarashi's best, but Ecclesia I quite because I was bored, but I was burned out by the last two DS games to that was a contributing factor.

I love me some Igavanias but this is 100% a "thanks but no thanks" scenario for me.

If they weren't already busy with Indivisible, I feel Lab Zero could do 2D Metroid well. The Indivisible demo was already impressive in a lot of ways, many people at the studio are fans of the series and it's pretty clear to me that Mike Z understands Metroid level design super well if you saw his Design Run streams on Super Metroid:

Part 1
Part 2
First time I read a post of yours where I so strongly disagrees with you, Crocodile.

I think Iga could make an amazing 2D Metroid. Provided he's given the right budget and tools to work with I'm confident he'd be able to pull through.

It's not like we're drowning in new 2D Metroids. There have only ever been 4 (not counting the remake Zero) with the last one releasing back in 2002. Like someone here said: "beggars can't be choosers" and you could do a lot worse than Mr. Metroidvania himself.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Really never understood the love for Order of Ecclesia. The percentage of map design in that game that's composed of interminably long hallways with next to no vertical design or platforming is fucking criminal.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Really never understood the love for Order of Ecclesia. The percentage of map design in that game that's composed of interminably long hallways with next to no vertical design or platforming is fucking criminal.

The only IGAvania with poor level design is Portrait of Ruin. OoE has some forest levels that are long and "hallway" like but that's not a slight towards it. It's castle is just as well designed as any of the handheld games.

D.Lo

The only IGAvania with poor level design is Portrait of Ruin. OoE has some forest levels that are long and "hallway" like but that's not a slight towards it. It's castle is just as well designed as any of the handheld games.
Harmony is pretty goddamn bad as well. That terrible pointless mirror castle...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Harmony is pretty goddamn bad as well. That terrible pointless mirror castle...

Yeah it's...not a good game. I actually like Portrait of Ruin despite it's many issues, but Harmony is just a pretty damn bad Castlevania on all fronts. It's level design, is right up there with Portrait in the "not good" category of IGAvanias.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I was down on PoR for some reason when it first came out, but I went back and replayed it recently and found it to be really impressive, actually. Especially in terms of map design.

OoE's castle is all right, but the sub-levels are all dinky little nothing layouts. PoR's are most definitely better.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I was down on PoR for some reason when it first came out, but I went back and replayed it recently and found it to be really impressive, actually. Especially in terms of map design.

OoE's castle is all right, but the sub-levels are all dinky little nothing layouts. PoR's are most definitely better.

I still think that PoR is the only 2D portable Vania with bad level design. Harmony was "bad" but it wasn't "terrible". The paintings of PoR are especially kind of empty and bland. The recycling of thematics is even worse in the second half. You replay the same square boxes, and corridors arranged in a different format. And the levels are all flat, empty corridors. The game itself is solid because of the mechanics, but the levels...ooof.

OoE at least, tried various gimmicks at times (from searchlights to traps) to spice things up a little bit.

Crocodile

First time I read a post of yours where I so strongly disagrees with you, Crocodile.

I think Iga could make an amazing 2D Metroid. Provided he's given the right budget and tools to work with I'm confident he'd be able to pull through.

It's not like we're drowning in new 2D Metroids. There have only ever been 4 (not counting the remake Zero) with the last one releasing back in 2002. Like someone here said: "beggars can't be choosers" and you could do a lot worse than Mr. Metroidvania himself.

I agree that we could do much worse than IGA for a new 2D Metroid and if the choice was him or no new 2D Metroid ever I'd choose the former. That being said, I still don't think he's the best man for the job. IGA's biggest weakness (level design) is like Metroid's greatest strength. IGA is a man who designs more loosely and I think the Metroid games need tight design with little fluff (even if its fun fluff). I'm not confident it would be a good fit.

-Great aesthetic
-Cool protagonist and a strong narrative (for a Castlevania game)
-Awesome OST
-Best boss fights in the series (Huge plus for me)
-Glyph system was awesome
-Good game balance where the enemies actually give you a bit of a challenge. Combat matters.
-Training Hall has the best platforming among all Igavanias

Like I agree that for most of the game that the level design is often mediocre but the game has other strengths and overall is a very strong package.

EVH

I don't think it happens, and we also need Castlevania like games with that soft RPG layer on them.

But if it happens, let IGA do a 2D Metroid while Retro makes the 3D one that keeps all the nice lore the scanner visor adds.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't get it. Did you guys think the guy who ha to kickstart getting to make a new game would say 'No! I'd never make a new Mtroid if Nintendo offered me payment!'

Top Bottom