• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iggy Azalea is the latest star to quit Twitter over 'hatred and pettiness'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
As long as you ignore video comments, sexual harassment towards women, homophobia, rampant racism, death threats...then sure.

a few people will always do that. Its not the norm though. Lots more will be supportive. The problem is the few are very vocal and determined.
Personally I choose to be positive and people treat me in kind.

crying-money-woody-harrelson-zombieland.gif

overcast

Those trash ass comments she made. Nobody cares, bye Iggy.
Azealia Banks won...

pTyieGF.gif

I am not amused tbh.
Did she though? Sold like 15,000 copies compared to Iggy's relatively solid worldwide performance and overall popularity. Neither one will last in the game, but Azealia didn't win anything tbh. Both of them deserve each other :]

See earlier posts.

I saw them. Any difference you're attempting to delineate via use of your quotation marks and trademark symbols is negligible.

There is almost no functional difference between this thread and any set of twitter posts/replies were this a convo on that platform.

rhandino

Banned
Did she though? Sold like 15,000 copies compared to Iggy's relatively solid worldwide performance and overall popularity. Neither one will last in the game, but Azealia didn't win anything tbh. Both of them deserve each other :]
You know, in her little distorted head she most likely would see this as a sort of victory...

Just look at how a lot of comments here are "happy" about Iggy leaving when of those two I would consider Azealia the most vile. Her music was good (some songs) but the things she said in the last days and the fact that she is relevant only for those comments... =/

Floridian

Those trash ass comments she made. Nobody cares, bye Iggy.

The only thing Azealia won for now was the better acclaimed album.

terrisus

I saw them. Any difference you're attempting to delineate via use of your quotation marks and trademark symbols is negligible.

So you don't think that websites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. are anything new or differentiable?
They're just old-hat websites with a new coat of paint?

Yeah, but a lot of people confuse the two.

Fair enough. I thought I was clear enough, but I guess not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know, in her little distorted head she most likely would see this as a sort of victory...

Just look at how a lot of comments here are "happy" about Iggy leaving when of those two I would consider Azealia the most vile of the bunch. Her music was good (some songs) but the things she has said in the last days and the fact that she is relevant only for those comments... =/

Just because I'm glad Iggy is gone doesn't mean I don't want Azealia gone. I don't think anyone on here prefers one over the other.

rhandino

Banned
Just because I'm glad Iggy is gone doesn't mean I don't want Azealia gone. I don't think anyone on here prefers one over the other.
I hope, the day she leaves twitter and starts focusing in her music would be a blessed day. But is not happening.

We all lose tbh

So you don't think that websites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. are anything new or differentiable? They're just old-hat websites with a new coat of paint?

The main difference between facebook, myspace, twitter, instagram, LinkedIn, etc, and a forum/messageboard/usenet group is that you are afforded the opportunity to build your own community to your tastes and are given moderator/admin tools to control the flow of the discussions you are reading.

The formatting/structure is window dressing for the conversations you're choosing to engage in. Social Media simply took the reasons people have been talking to each other online and made them easier/more palatable to people who otherwise wouldn't have considered forums/messageboards/comments sections.

Social Media is nothing more than talking to other people via the internet. That's it. What we're doing right now is just hanging out on one of the rungs out of the primordial ooze of the internet. The rung below us was usenet/comments sections. The rungs above us are facebook/twitter/instagram.

It's all "social media."

studyguy

Why do celebrities take offence to tweets so much? Surely they should expect negativity. Not every one on Twitter is going to be a fan. I have no problem with Twitter myself, met some nice people on there.

I would expect the average person with a couple hundred followers to receive a few harassing messages. Celebs with millions of followers magnifies the shit out of this. I mean if your twitter blows up with hundreds of assholes every day then that has to get tiresome. That's going back to the problems the CEO put a while back, it's literally just a failing on Twitter's part more than anything. Iggy's no one to defend and certainly deserves shit thrown at her, but all the same Twitter is just reinforcing the idea that it does shit all to protect its users from the sea of crap.

terrisus

The main difference between facebook, myspace, twitter, instagram, LinkedIn, etc, and a forum/messageboard/usenet group is that you are afforded the opportunity to build your own community to your tastes and are given moderator/admin tools to control the flow of the discussions you are reading.

Sounds like a sizable difference worth differentiating.

Social Media is nothing more than talking to other people via the internet. That's it.

Funny how it's used in such a specific set of circumstances, distinct from "social media" (which, realistically, isn't used much anyway)

Why do celebrities take offence to tweets so much? Surely they should expect negativity. Not every one on Twitter is going to be a fan. I have no problem with Twitter myself, met some nice people on there.

Are you a world famous celebrity though? The more people that know you, the more they're going to thoughtlessly direct nonsense your way, and that includes both love and hate. I can understand someone getting hurt by mean things being said, because everybody's been hurt by mean comments. It's called being a human with feelings. Just because you make more money and become a "public" figure doesn't mean those characteristics are automatically washed off.

If I were in her place I'd probably have a massive public breakdown or something. That's too much to handle, and no it SHOULDN'T come with the territory.

I've thought about this and if I was a celebrity I think I'd stay far the fuck away from Twitter and Facebook. Not only so I don't have to read a bunch of inane shit but also to avoid the risk of being really fucked up and posting something that bites me.

Sounds like a sizable difference worth differentiating.

It isn't. You doing what you're doing here isn't any different than her doing what she does there, besides the fact you've decided to place control of who you're interacting with in the hands of others as opposed to yourself.

Funny how it's used in such a specific set of circumstances, distinct from "social media" (which, realistically, isn't used much anyway)

It's used in those circumstances largely by an old media that needs some sort of catchphrase to wrap its head around its general abandonment. That we adopt the terminology being fed back to us isn't surprising or funny at all.

terrisus

an old media that needs some sort of catchphrase to wrap its head around its general abandonment.

I mean, you're literally saying they're different (to the point of something else being "abandoned"), but then that there's no point to differentiating them.

I give up. I think I was pretty clear to begin with, but I've explained clearly what I meant since then.

rhandino

Banned
I've thought about this and if I was a celebrity I think I'd stay far the fuck away from Twitter and Facebook. Not only so I don't have to read a bunch of inane shit but also to avoid the risk of being really fucked up and posting something that bites me.
You see, many already do that but then they are called "fake", "cold" and "distant with their fans".

Also people like drama.

I mean, you're literally saying they're different (to the point of something else being "abandoned"),

No. I'm not sure you understand what "they" I'm drawing a distinction between.

People talking to other people via the internet is Social Media, and always has been, even if we didn't have the terminology for it, terminology created by people who needed a catchphrase to describe said thing, said catchphrase then used and popularized/regurgitated by Old Media, which is not people talking to people via the internet, but journalists/broadcasters/personalities using newspapers/television/radio to have a one-way conversation with their audience, the public.

Again, the attempt to even draw a distinction between what you're doing here and what she's doing there is bullshit on the face of it. This form of Social Media isn't inherently any better or worse than that one when it comes to the function that drives its use (I want to talk to people, and I'd like people to talk to me), and your choice to use this one doesn't, in and of itself, make you somehow a wiser, more learned practicioner of Social Media.

It's a false superiority being claimed.

Is this the White one or the Black one?
Just kidding, but seriously there was a time when I though they were the same person.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Why do people take interweb comments so serious?

Stupid people hiding behind their computer screens. No different than forum banter.

People are far too sensitive.

Kozak

Banned
She'll be back..

I bet if you scrolled her twitter comments there would be more positive comments towards her than negative but hey, gotta focus on the haters right?

norm9

The less people using "Social Networking™" websites, the better.

Huh? This is a social networking site, no?

ETA- beaten. Also, like they say with internet bullying, turn off the computer if you don't like it. (Not saying people deserve to be bullied on the internet)

Why do celebrities have twitters anyway? It's become pretty apparent that the less people know about you and your views the more they like you. Let your publicist handle that shit and go enjoy your fame and fortune.

Coconut

Banned
The internet tends to reciprocate what you put into it.
If you are positive, it sends you positivity and reinforcement, and vice versa.

I think you might have stepped through a portal to a different earth because here people are fuck faces for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom