• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN and Gamespy know something about SHENMUE 3? Major clues inside...

A mod on the Xbox 360 IGN insider boards posted this:

"On Sega-AM2's developer page there is a list of games AM2 has or currently is producing. Shenmue III (as photographically provided above) was listed and then taken off. Notice the "NEXT-GEN" part. IGN had or is working on a page for the game, so I'm assuming that there will be some kind of word on the game soon."

gamespy18oct.gif

ign17oct.gif

byamemberfromshenmuedojo.jpg

Luckett_X

Banned
is...it happening? finally?!

I would find it hilariously cruel if Shenmue 3 were released finally, but it too had a massive cliffhanger ending.

No wait, actually I'd probably just cut myself with mega-cd discs.

Vgamer

We have been hearing of all these rumors for years so I wont hold my breath. But I still hope its true.

Nameless

Hopefully its an atmospheric work of art with a great story like the original Shenmue, not part book moving sim, part dead end job sim like the second.

Arcticfox

While I would not be surprised if this turned out to be true, IGN has put up pages for games that never existed before, such as Chrono Break.

Pimpwerx

SM3 should be a PS2 game to be honest. If it should even be made in the first place. The first two didn't do very well. Why even bother with a third? And if they do, why on earth would they put it on the 360? (a) It's a launch system with a fledgling userbase and (b) it is least likely to succeed in Japan, and SM is a Japan-centric game. It would be another comedy of errors for Sega if true. PEACE.

Sapiens

Yeah, but....is Yu Suzuki still going to be involved with it? If this is true, that is.

Anyways, a 360-get was going to happen eventually, but it looks like Sega support may be similar to what it was last gen, so....360 GET IMMEDIATELY.

*Canadian, so I go hunt down cheap old gen games to rip off eb with*

scarybore

Nameless said:
Hopefully its an atmospheric work of art with a great story like the original Shenmue, not part book moving sim, part dead end job sim like the second.

Meh, Shenmue 2 disc 3 > Shenmue all discs combined :D

Either way, forget Perfect Dark! This is the REAL rollercoaster ride!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'd like to see the first two games remade and combined with the third game to make one huge, seemless Shenmue game but that's probably asking too much.

And I hope this one is multi-platform so that it can get some decent sales.

SpiffyG

Baron Aloha said:
I'd like to see the first two games remade and combined with the third game to make one huge, seemless Shenmue game but that's probably asking too much.

And I hope this one is multi-platform so that it can get some decent sales.
Or they can just include the original 1 & 2 in the package so people who didn't own a Dreamcast or the sad people who owned an Xbox and didn't buy 2 can play Shenmue in all its glory from beginning to... later. Wasn't Yu Suzuki planning Shenmue to follow Ryo until his death? 7 games or so. I don't want to see the franchise fizzle out just yet.

Sapiens

You know, the book moving...I didnt mind too much. It taught me patience in a game world where everything was instant gratitude. It was surreal to me. So i appreicated it.

When it came to other 'dead-end' jobs, I only worked there long enough to I could make a little money to start gambling. If you didnt know where and how to gamble in shenmue 2, I could see how the experience could be shitty. I drank so much fake cola and bought so many toys too!

Does anyone remember how awesome finding the Afterburner 2 machine in Shenmue 2 was?

Sigh.

Man, I cannot tell you how much I felt Shenmue 2 was the GOTY in 2001...for me. The week I spent on that game...man, not a lot has topped the impact of it.

Triumph

Banned
I have a bit of "secret info" regarding "Shenmue 3" as well.

I'm warning you, once you see the truth of the spoilered text below, you can't UNSEE it. It's with you forever more, like stupidity, herpes or the knowledge that you're Olimario.

If it exists, it will suck.

Triumph

Banned
Sapienshomo said:
For real? Damn. Communists take the fun out of everything.
Sorry mang. :-( It's our job and shit, when we're not killing babies and promoting homosexuality.

I can't believe the thread has gone this long without a single sailors reference, tho.

Sapienshomo said:
You know, the book moving...I didnt mind too much. It taught me patience in a game world where everything was instant gratitude. It was surreal to me. So i appreicated it.

Yeah, this was important to the story, and I really can't think of any other instance of character development and gameplay mixed together like that. Rather ambitious but it requires the player to think outside of what to expect from games, some of which will just refuse to. There's not many games with such a profound sense of atmosphere and immersion. Should've been more of that type of stuff in the game with the martial arts training imo.

That's Yu Suzuki's biggest mistake imo, expecting everybody to be on the same wavelength has him. I've been told of gamers waiting next to doors to make appointments in Shenmue 1...talk about totally missing the point (Drinky Crow probably did that). Still, Shenmue II is one of my favorite games of all time so ofcourse I'd want to see a third version. Sega has been known, to a fault, in making fanservice games. That's why there's this expectation of another Shenmue sequel. We had no business getting another Panzer Dragoon game, or another jetset radio game after all.

Prine

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Oh sweet lord, if it exists, then the Xbox360 will fulfill its worth right there, moreso than RE5 actually.

Exactly. Its a fresh start for MS. By gaining Japanese centric games they hope to appeal to gamers such as yourself, and others that blasted Xbox for not having the type of games they want.

Its about turning weakness into strength, im sure MS are deliberatly trying to gain such titles. SEGA are in a good position, a strategic position to help broaden Xbox360 reach. If true its a great move and hope we'll see more titles like this in the future.

Shabaz

Neo Member
CVXFREAK said:
Oh sweet lord, if it exists, then the Xbox360 will fulfill its worth right there, moreso than RE5 actually.

Very true! Originaly the only reason I bought an XBOX was for Shemnue. Baby Jesus will make Shemnue 3 happen.

SpiffyG

Did Yu Suzuki originally port Shenmue II to Xbox because of the superior hardware? If so, Shenmue III has a good chance of being made for the PS3. I don't see any other reason for choosing that monstrosity for the home of Shenmue. Maybe he likes big black boxes that are Xtreme. Sega better not release Shenmue III exclusively for the Xbox 360. It sold like garbage in America. Oh... I will be angry.

SpiffyG said:
Did Yu Suzuki originally port Shenmue II to Xbox because of the superior hardware? If so, Shenmue III has a good chance of being made for the PS3. I don't see any other reason for choosing that monstrosity for the home of Shenmue. Maybe he likes big black boxes that are Xtreme. Sega better not release Shenmue III exclusively for the Xbox 360. It sold like garbage in America. Oh... I will be angry.
IIRC, Microsoft bought exclusive rights to Shenmue II in America.

FightyF

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:
would be perfect for revolution.

That's actually an interesting viewpoint.

Though Shen Mue had some glaring problems, I was able to ignore them while playing and enjoy the game. The Rev controller would fit in very well IMO. The ONLY part of the game where it wouldn't fit is the fighting of course. But everything else (which is literally 95% of the playtime) it would go well with the Rev controller.

FightyF

Banned
SM3 would be appropriate for the 360 as many of it's fans are Xbox owners, the prequel could be played via backwards compatibility, and the 360 does allow for microtransactions and downloadable content, which may be a good thing if they do plan to release the game in bite-sized chapters.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Prine said:
Its about turning weakness into strength, im sure MS are deliberatly trying to gain such titles. SEGA are in a good position, a strategic position to help broaden Xbox reach. If true its a great move and hope we'll see more titles like this in the future.
Sounds good! I'm betting on it paying off for Sega big-time!

3rdman

People forget that Shenmue actually did pretty well in sales topping over 1 million sold IIRC. Shenmue 2 was and still is (unless I'm mistaken) the most imported game into the US of all time.

Everybody points to the lack of sales on the Xbox as proof that a third installment wouldn't do well, but that kinda glosses over the fact that most people who really wanted it already played it. Shenmue 3 would sell big for the opposite reason that Shenmue 2 on Xbox didn't...because its a fresh chapter.

Hell, for me, no matter what system its on, I'm buying it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
3rdman said:
Everybody points to the lack of sales on the Xbox as proof that a third installment wouldn't do well,

i think people are saying it wouldnt do well on the 360 .. which might not be too far off. its hard to tell really.

Top Bottom