• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN continues assault on 360, they have more broken 360s

sharukins

Banned
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710364p1.html

Assault number 1:

It must also be noted that even with a large margin of error on this poll, the sample size is large enough to raise the question: How reliable is the Xbox 360?

Assault number 2:

Purposely laughable picture zoomed in for bad effect. you can see the deliberate zooming because of the blurriness of the picture

glitch-in-the-system-round-three-20060526040526890-000.jpg

PhatSaqs

Banned
My launch sys bit the dust earlier this week. MS has a serious problem on their hands that extends beyond just the normal bad batch of early systems IMO.

X26

Banned
IGN must be anti-MS since the 360 is actually an extremely reliable system

I mean sure a high % experience bugs, freezes, overheating, melting of games, and so on but that's normal isn't it?

Speevy

Banned
My launch sys bit the dust earlier this week. MS has a serious problem on their hands that extends beyond just the normal bad batch of early systems IMO.

The "normal" batch extended well beyond launch last generation. Weak lasers, bad adapters, recalls, etc.

I'm just glad my (second) system is still okay. As long as they keep replacing them, it's a minor inconvenience.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is frequent freezing a indication of possible failure?

Amir0x

Banned
man though i must say for an 'assault' on 360, this is the weakest assault I've ever seen!

Time to pick it up, IGN, you're slackers.

Speevy

Banned
Suikoguy said:

Troubleshoot the problem. Make sure it's not just one game, make sure it's not the hard drive, make sure it's not the dashboard, see if it's hard drive content or disc-based, etc.

Is it a DRE or something else?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How long do you have?

My launch one has been okay but now I fear it could die and screw me over. Can I call MS or do I need to have a special warranty?

Speevy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
How long do you have?

My launch one has been okay but now I fear it could die and screw me over. Can I call MS or do I need to have a special warranty?

Your built-in warranty is 3 months but they've been disregarding that because of the frequency of this problem. Still, I'd buy the extended one.

Markster

ign said:
In a poll posted on IGN's Xbox 360 general message board, we asked a simple question: "Is your 360 broken?"

It's nice to see that they're using sound, scientific methods.

Everyone knows that forum polls are indicitave of the population at large!
How, everyone who sees the poll dutifly answers, and not a single person lies!

Surely, tons of money would be saved by the academic community if they only realized how accurate and easy this method of sampling is!

[/sarcasm]

bill0527

My launch system is still going.

It gets a shitload of use between my 20+ hours of gaming per week and my wife using the media center functions to record and watch her TV and stuff for our 2 year old another 20-30 hours per week.

It seems like whenever we're home, the Xbox360 is always on doing something. I haven't had it lock up on me at all, but I bought a 2 year warranty from MS, just in case.

Jeff-DSA

I'm on my 3rd and my buddy is on his 4th. I also know of several people in my area that are on their 2nd. Unless we are a few of the unluckiest 360 owners in the world, there is a quality issue with 360s.

Polari

Markster said:
It's nice to see that they're using sound, scientific methods.

Everyone knows that forum polls are indicitave of the population at large!
How, everyone who sees the poll dutifly answers, and not a single person lies!

Surely, tons of money would be saved by the academic community if they only realized how accurate and easy this method of sampling is!

[/sarcasm]

Throughout the life of this poll, which was posted May 23, these percentages have stayed relatively the same at about 70 percent, 15 percent and 15 percent for each respective response. It must be noted that this poll is open to IGN Insiders only, members that pay a subscription fee for exclusive content and access to these message boards. Also, the poll is open to all insiders, so there is no way to authenticate whether every person that voted is being truthful or even owns a 360 console. It must also be noted that even with a large margin of error on this poll, the sample size is large enough to raise the question: How reliable is the Xbox 360?

What's your point again?

Microsoft are such pricks for only shipping with a three month warranty.

Seems like the failures are related to downloads over Xbox Live.
it sounds like they should have done a full scale recall.
But I guess they're trying to save a buck and hope that some people will never use download feature.

Speevy

Banned
Count Chocula said:
But I guess they're trying to save a buck and hope that some people will never use download feature.

No, the failures are related to bugs in the system and how they react to things (such as certain games, certain downloads, etc.) or maybe overheating. Mine in particular stopped displaying color.

No specific download is killing Xbox 360s. But we Xbox 360 owners appreciate your interest!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Polari said:

Yeah, that much is true

Nintendo's gamecube came with a year warenty.
When the PS2 switched to a year warenty, and the PSP came with one year, I half expected MS to do the same... wishfull thinking

Markster

Polari said:
What's your point again?

My point is that internet polls are so unreliable, that you simply cannot trust them, and nor can you write articles about the scandalous things your poll suggests.

for all we know, the x-box hating Insiders all converged on this poll item and stuffed the ballot box.

X26

Banned
Markster said:
My point is that internet polls are so unreliable, that you simply cannot trust them, and nor can you write articles about the scandalous things your poll suggests.

for all we know, the x-box hating Insiders all converged on this poll item and stuffed the ballot box.

alright shutup already fanboy

Polari said:

so does that make them non-pricks for ignoring their own warranty? I bought my system 5 months ago and they're replacing it free...lol

Actually, isn't there some weird law or something that says if you bought something with a credit card, you automatically get a long warranty with it? I remember reading here on GAF I think, so I would assume it's true
not really

Polari

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, that much is true

Nintendo's gamecube came with a year warenty.
When the PS2 switched to a year warenty, and the PSP came with one year, I half expected MS to do the same... wishfull thinking

I'm just shocked that they're allowed to get away with it. In New Zealand a warranty has to cover six months at a minimum.

It's classic Microsoft bullshit, release a shitty product, have consumers buy software that only works with that product, and then when they realise it sucks, they're stuck with it because they've already shelled out for the supporting software which works on nothing else.

medrew

Markster said:

Yeah, because IGN really said their findings are absolute.
The pollings give a vague indication of the number of problems. What do you suggest they do when making a report (on the widespread known problem) of broken 360's; call up Microsoft and ask them nicely for a figure? 'In-line with industry returns.'

Norse

Suikoguy said:

not if its only when you are streaming your own music during games, etc.....my nephew has a machine that runs perfectly. It only freezes when he streams music off his puter. i think some long names, vbr mp3's or even the apple store songs cause it. When he listens to default music from games, etc he hasnt had the freezing issue.

I still think these x360's with issues are caused by bad power supplies not giving them enough juice or over heating. But thats just my opinion.

My launch system froze once since purchase. And that wasa long time ago playing bejewel2 with custom music and multiple trips to the blade during play. Cleaned my music collect up and go rid of crazy longs names, and itunes music store music converted to mp3 form...never had another freeze yet. knock on wood, and best buy extended warranty ftw!

Polari

Markster said:

Yes and they mentioned that. We know. We read the article.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
From what I can tell, MS customer service has been nothing short of fantastic this time around, which is always nice to hear.

I wonder how Sony will fare with defective consoles. Their track record + cutting edge tech = *shudder*

Polari said:
I'm just shocked that they're allowed to get away with it. In New Zealand a warranty has to cover six months at a minimum.

It's classic Microsoft bullshit, release a shitty product, have consumers buy software that only works with that product, and then when they realise it sucks, they're stuck with it because they've already shelled out for the supporting software which works on nothing else.

I wish I could play 360 games on my PS2, too.

Norse

Polari said:

LOL....how many of the 100 million ps2's out there do you think are actually still running?

I agree with the warranty being too short...1 yr should be the min for gaming systems. They are electronics after all.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
soul creator said:
Actually, isn't there some weird law or something that says if you bought something with a credit card, you automatically get a long warranty with it? I remember reading here on GAF I think, so I would assume it's true
not really

It's not law. Select credit card issuers offer an automatic extended warranty on purchases made on their card as a membership feature. American Express doubles the length of the manufacturer's warranty.

bill0527

Oh look.. its turned into another Microsoft hate thread classic ...

Out of all the threads about consoles breaking down on various sites I visit (IGN, here, Gamespot), I've yet to see one person claim that Microsoft has refused to repair or replace their system, even when its out of warranty.

Why is it then, that I've downloaded almost every single available demo, a ton of trailers, a few microtransactions, 4 XBLA arcade games on my launch system and I've never had a problem with it?

Well this is a well thought out .... mess. You've just described every gaming console ever made.

JB1981

Norse said:
LOL....how many of the 100 million ps2's out there do you think are actually still running?

I agree with the warranty being too short...1 yr should be the min for gaming systems. They are electronics after all.

My PS2 runs like a champ.

i gave up on IGN 360 coverage when GameSpy was announced as the Sony Live or Anywhere or whatever the fuck technology partner.

not to say that they may have objective content, but i really dont feel like running everything through a filter of "is this bias or not"? there is a whole underlying issue here, with all publishers in the gaming sphere, that will likely see a bit of scandal if gaming ever reaches the entertainment level of movies/TV. but thats a whole thread of its own.

but yeah, I don't bother with IGN 360 news anymore.. if anyone cares.

and im not Sony fanboy, but im willing to say that my Japanese launch PS2 works perfectly, even DVD playback, to this very day. Thats launch hardware 6 years later.. actual 7 years or more if you ask Shane of EGM, lolz. because PS2 apparently launched in early 99?

Odysseus

Banned
meltpotato said:
i gave up on IGN 360 coverage when GameSpy was announced as the Sony Live or Anywhere or whatever the fuck technology partner.

not to say that they may have objective content, but i really dont feel like running everything through a filter of "is this bias or not"? there is a whole underlying issue here, with all publishers in the gaming sphere, that will likely see a bit of scandal if gaming ever reaches the entertainment level of movies/TV. but thats a whole thread of its own.

but yeah, I don't bother with IGN 360 news anymore.. if anyone cares.

nice joke post

Markster

Medrew said:
The pollings give a vague indication of the number of problems. What do you suggest they do when making a report on broken 360's
The poll gave a vague indication of the number of problems of forum goers who chose to participate in the poll. Nevermind all the people who don't even have a 360, but voted anyway. Or the fact that those who had problems were perhaps more likely to choose to vote in such a poll.

I'm not saying that IGN was trying to pass off these results as correct. I'm saying that IGN is using a poll that is so statistically flawed as to be meaningless.

If IGN wants to find their own numbers to base this article on, they had best read up on how to find statistics.

Speevy

Banned
JB1981 said:
My PS2 runs like a champ.

That's great. I've heard hundreds of separate accounts all over the internet of PS2s and Xboxes failing. My own Xbox system stopped reading most discs early last year. The PS2 and Xbox were prone to these problems, and I have to assume people who say otherwise are just lying to themselves.

Odysseus said:
nice joke post

??? okay

im pretty fucking serious. not that i've ever trusted IGN, but im realyl not interested in their content now that one of their properties is involved in the online technology for one of the three consoles.

Polari

bill0527 said:
Well this is a well thought out .... mess. You've just described every gaming console ever made.

Well, except the 3DO. But that wasn't the point and you know it. Microsoft do this in pretty much every area they operate in, they constantly refuse to co-operate with any kind of open standards, and as a result their products suffer because they don't need to be good to retain marketshare. The three month warranty bullshit is one of the most arrogant displays of this mentality to date.

Contrast that with company like Sony who supports open standards and software like OpenGL and Linux. Microsoft are also the only company this generation with proprietary memory cards.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Polari said:
Well, except the 3DO. But that wasn't the point and you know it. Microsoft do this in pretty much every area they operate in, they constantly refuse to co-operate with any kind of open standards, and as a result their products suffer because they don't need to be good to retain marketshare. The three month warranty bullshit is one of the most arrogant displays of this mentality to date.

Contrast that with company like Sony who supports open standards and software like OpenGL and Linux. Microsoft are also the only company this generation with proprietary memory cards.

:lol

I don't even know where to begin with your silly rants.

bill0527

Polari said:

My god..... where do I even start with this?

Speevy

Banned
Polari said:

Nice. Use vague non-examples of the past contrasted with unproven examples of the future. If these trends continue, you'll make sense.

border

It must also be noted that even with a large margin of error on this poll, the sample size is large enough to raise the question: How reliable is the Xbox 360?
I'm with Markster. It's retarded of them to be using this technical and important-sounding statistics lingo when they have so totally fucked up the sampling method.

That said, there does seem to be a lot of people with fucked-up 360's....particularly considering that the consoles hasn't been out for very long. Say what you want about PS2's build quality, but I don't recall them having this many failures 6-7 months after launch. I guess that in some sense the quick failure is preferable since it gives you more leverage to demand a free repair.

Top Bottom