• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Dead Space Remake: The Final Preview

Some new details:
  • It is described as a "purist's remake" for how close it sticks to the original game's story.
  • Isaac is not as " chatty as Sony character", for those who were worried about him not being silent.
  • Most of the changes are gameplay related.
  • The asteroids level has been revamped.
  • Alternative fire modes in weapons seem to be more useful.
  • Recommended for new players and big fans of the franchise, but not for players who expect a big deviation from the original game because of how similar the overall story is.
  • Exploring the Ishimura feels like exploring the Prey's Talos I station.

Last edited:

GymWolf

All the changes sounds good.

People are gonna be worried about tue metroidvania inclusion that is gonna ruin the pace with backtracking etc., But i like it and it is optional.

The game is pretty short so if i can add 2-3 hours more i'm happy.

Last edited:

Frexerik88

Neo Member
For some reason I thought this was like the mass effect remaster where they would include all three games, the fact that this is only the first game means I will wait for a deep sale before going in..

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
But you bought tlou remake that look 95% like tlou2 in high res with worse/less animations??
TLOU Part 1 stil looks amazing the facial animations alone are next gen enough. that was a small side project from ND (like 15 of them + another studio) that looks better than anything ever released aside from HFW.
nah ill take that visual for 60fps on console.
Come on bro this is not an acceptable looking "next gen" only game even if it ran at 120fps. theres no way you could be satisfied with these visuals for the entire gen.

Kataploom

Gold Member
TLOU Part 1 stil looks amazing the facial animations alone are next gen enough. that was a small side project from ND (like 15 of them + another studio) that looks better than anything ever released aside from HFW.

Come on bro this is not an acceptable looking "next gen" only game even if it ran at 120fps. theres no way you could be satisfied with these visuals for the entire gen.
Art style + frame rate >>>>>>>>>> shaders and resolution
:messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

GymWolf

And it still look 95% like a ps4 game, so in your own words, this is the quintessential lazy dev work that you should not buy...

Just fucking with you but it's fun how people's brain work sometimes...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I want to buy it, but Isaac Clarke's ridiculous face stops me.

The fact that Nicole now looks like a manly 64 yr old woman also sucks and was completely unnecessary (Remake nicole on top compared to original on bottom)

Dead-Space-Remake-women-appear-older-and-less-buxom-triggers.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Did he mention the "Intensity Director"? I didn't hear that come up in the preview. Sounds like it's going to be a very similar game after all.
That's what I want to know more about. I guess it's the type of feature that you may not even be aware of when not thinking about it, even when improving the experience.

kiphalfton

Not real sure of what the point of remaking this game is, unless there's plans to remake 2 and 3 (and if they all do well enough to release a sequel to 3). However, that would all be dependent on good sales. Statistically there's a low chance we get all three games remade.

Obviously if the game fails to meet sales expectations, we'll probably never see a Dead Space 2 remake, let alone another Dead Space game again. Which sucks as we'll have a Dead Space 1 remake, and if you want to continue the story you'll have to go backwards graphically to play the sequels.

BUT if there is any good to come of this or the other survival horror remakes (RE2, RE3, RE4, SH2), or Callisto Protocol, it's that the survival horror genre is getting exposure again. Hopefully that will inspire other devs to jump into the fray.

Last edited:
This remake invited a lot more negativity than I would have guessed. Looking forward to it.
i'd say that in part it's a tlou pt1 situation - the original version's available cheaply on pc, & on game pass, & it still looks very good & plays well. i think a remastered package of the trilogy (as done with bioshock & mass effect, 2 other 2008 releases) would've gone over much better...

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
  • It is described as a "purist's remake" for how close it sticks to the original game's story.
  • Recommended for new players and big fans of the franchise, but not for players who expect a big deviation from the original game because of how similar the overall story is.
oh hell yeah
The story & lore of Dead Space is part of why I was so afraid of a remake. Call me one of those purists. When they're done with this remake, I hope they don't branch off in a new direction, and instead work on continuing the original story.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
i'd say that in part it's a tlou pt1 situation - the original version's available cheaply on pc, & on game pass, & it still looks very good & plays well. i think a remastered package of the trilogy (as done with bioshock & mass effect, 2 other 2008 releases) would've gone over much better...
You can practically play those games remastered already on Xbox, which is why I find the remake to be more exciting.

That’s a good point though. The game is still available in high quality for cheap.

FeastYoEyes

There's whole sections of this game that did not exist before and side quests, plus voice acting from the original voice actor for Isaac. I don't see how anyone could mistake this for a simple coat of paint.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What about people like who only owns PS5 and Switch? This remake is the only I can play Dead Space on my modern system.

What about people like who only owns PS5 and Switch? This remake is the only I can play Dead Space on my modern system.
my point was that having the original available on the platforms i mentioned probably diminishes a certain amount of enthusiasm for the remake. that's all. you're personally excited about the remake? hope you like it...

R6Rider

Gold Member
There's whole sections of this game that did not exist before and side quests, plus voice acting from the original voice actor for Isaac. I don't see how anyone could mistake this for a simple coat of paint.
It's just people trying to convince themselves that's all it is.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
my point was that having the original available on the platforms i mentioned probably diminishes a certain amount of enthusiasm for the remake. that's all. you're personally excited about the remake? hope you like it...
I understand your point, That how I felt towards TLOU P1, but inDead Space case, this is the only way I can replay it on my PS5.

oh hell yeah
The story & lore of Dead Space is part of why I was so afraid of a remake. Call me one of those purists. When they're done with this remake, I hope they don't branch off in a new direction, and instead work on continuing the original story.
Yeah, it seems like the remake will be more consistent with DS 2 and (for better or for worse) with DS3. So you can play the 3 games in a row and will feel a lot more connected.
I can see them putting references to DS: Extraction, The Sprawl, Tau Volantis, and more little easter eggs here and there.
I really hope they remake DS Extraction, for PSVR2 or just an full on 3rd person remake and sell it as DLC or something, it would be really cool.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Yeah, it seems like the remake will be more consistent with DS 2 and (for better or for worse) with DS3. So you can play the 3 games in a row and will feel a lot more connected.
I can see them putting references to DS: Extraction, The Sprawl, Tau Volantis, and more little easter eggs here and there.
I really hope they remake DS Extraction, for PSVR2 or just an full on 3rd person remake and sell it as DLC or something, it would be really cool.
I really liked Dead Space 3, for the action game that it was. One of my favorite co-op experiences. I definitely don't want it retconned, especially after its story additions.
And I need a follow-up. Have you played its expansion, Awakened? I need a sequel.

I'd be cool with a Dead Space 2 remake too. Think it had an expansion that never released on PC. I'd take Dead Space 3 as well, with the microtransactions removed.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

i dont think i will ever see a game with DS remake graphic running 120fps on console without toning down the graphics. Im just being realistic here.

tbh, the graphics looks fine to me, yea its not OMG NEXT GEN, but it looks drastically better than the original one.

but of course, games like spiderman 2 is going to look amazing, but then thats first party, so i have to adjust my expectation.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After its original release in 2008, Dead Space was heralded as a fantastic game by critics and survival horror game fans alike, and a game that would properly iterate on Resident Evil 4’s new action-oriented survival horror with a focus on shooting enemy limbs, and small-confined areas within the USG Ishimura - a planet cracking space ship. And yet, after two fantastic games, Dead Space 3 was released in 2013 to lackluster reviews and essentially killed the series. But, 10 long years later, Dead Space is finally seeing life once again through a remake.

But what type of remake will this be? Is it going to pretty much be a 1 for 1 remake ala Crash Bandicoot: N’sane Trilogy? Or are we looking at at something that will completely reinvent the game, ala Resident Evil 2? Well, here’s Everything We Know so far about the Dead Space Remake.

Top Bottom