• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: DS in US before Japan?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is November the Semi-Offical date now?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Cool, looks like I won't have to import this one

"codenamed Revolution, at 2005's Electronics Entertainment Expo 2004 in Los Angeles. "

oops!

Stryder

I thought E3 2004 would have taken place in .. 2004?

edit : anyway that's cool, I'm going to have to import either way, I guess this means that there will be english games released with it from the word go.

Well this only makes perfect sense. The Japanese kids get their break during that time so it benefits Nintendo to hit hard during that period. Also its the most sale instensive period of the year. US instead has November as their most important shopping month.

cvxfreak

This has been rumored for quite awhile but November was touted as the previous Japanese release date. I suppose releasing DS in Japan in December gives it a chance to fight the PSP head to head.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
IGN, yer one of the biggest young-male oriented sites in America! You're ranked 515 on alexa!

Get an editor!

I'm available!

B E N K E

I presume it's written by a german contributor. Grammar is messed up...

Time travel needed in order to see the Revolution. Maybe this is the motivation need for some fanboy to invent it?

1) :_:

2) IBTN. The US buying period is between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but in Japan it's New Year's. The kids get money on New Year's Day and then they go out and spend it once the stores open back up on the 4th or so. So it really makes sense to have it in the US first, if there are time constraints.

Rhindle

This sounds extremely dubious.

What games are going to ready ship by November? They'd have to be more or less complete in the next month or so in order to get the QA, certification, U.S. localization etc. done by November.

Also, I hear the manufacturing yields on the carts are still bad.

explodet

Rhindle said:
Also, I hear the manufacturing yields on the carts are still bad.
Oh, great. Won't this mean if they try to release it for the holidays, the "limited quantities due to small production run" excuse will be heard again, driving up demand?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, then, I'm gonna pass. WAY too much higher priority stuff coming out in the next 4 months for me to possibly have the money for one of these anytime soon. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday...

aoi tsuki

If it's indeed November for the US release, Nitendo's pretty much sealed the "Must-Have Toy of Christmas 2004" award, but i wonder just how gimmicky the launch software will be. Regardless, i'll be there at launch. ;)

I wish they'd tell us when its coming out in europe Q1 2005 is a big timespan. Although I'll probably import from the usa if i can

radioheadrule83 said:
shouldn't we be hearing and seeing more DS stuff shortly??
What's this about August 10?

Eh, it's just when NOA announces what games are being done by Western developers. We'll probably also get more details (I hope) on the release of the DS. Especially since we have a sporting chance of getting it first.

Laurent

The company this November will release the Nintendo DS handheld in the US, followed by a December release in Japan, according to sources. Nintendo is planning to showcase its next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, at 2005's Electronics Entertainment Expo 2004 in Los Angeles.
Viva el copy/paste!

Dagon

See, it's articles (using the loosest definition of the word) like this that give videogame journalism such a bad name.

Jesus.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The Yields aren't bad on the carts, they've been working (for a year actually) on the manufacturing process according to that old MSNBC article, and everthing's cool now.

This is my number one wanted item of the year. I'll be lining up for this one (never did that before :))

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'll still be surprised if it launches in November. But if it does, get ready for the Today Show doing live shots from suburban Toys R Us stores while moms fight and claw each other for a DS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Totally. I sense a 'Tickle me Elmo' situation here. This is going to be the hot item this Christmas.

Prospero

I suppose we can look forward to lining up not just to get the system, but to place a pre-order on the system. Not to mention gaming shops attempting to force "bundles" on us with launch games we may or may not want.

*sighs, then prepares to come in late to work one day in order to place a pre-order*

jarrod

Banned
Considering Nintendo is only expecting 3.5 Million in shipments until March 2005, I think Europe may get delayed until the spring to meet NA/JP supply. That'd leave 2 million for America and 1.5 million for Japan (which still won't be enough to meet demand).

I think most expected expected a March release in Europe in the first place. I'd imagine it might slip to April or even May. Just curious though, but were these estimates made before or after E3?

jarrod

Banned
Shipment estimates were made in June... I think it has more to do with what Nintendo can supply rather than what they think they could sell. Similarly Sony is expecting to move 3 million PSPs in the same period.

People are pretty excited right now, but I imagine it's going to get even more crazy once we see the launch line-up. From rumor and just plain common sense, Nintendo has to show the games really soon.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yep. Hopefully there'll be an RPG or two for launch. I'll be needing a RTS as well :) One thing that makes me happy is the fact that you don't have any region lock on Nintendo handhelds, so importing games is going to be easy going.

jarrod

Banned
December 3rd is rumored for Japan, March or later for the US and later still for Europe. Sony hasn't made any official announcements though.

Greekboy

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
The DS uses carts, and I *still* can't fathom the excitement to play games with first-generation 3D graphics. Ugly!

Nintendo and their damn carts. That now annoys me about the DS.

Thanks jarrod.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lisa Lashes said:
Nintendo and their damn carts. That now annoys me about the DS.
Why? Outside of extensive FMV and redbook audio, the DS carts (which are much bigger in capacity than GBA carts) can do anything that a PSP UMD can, all at roughly the same production cost (meaning third parties won't be alienated), a much lower power consumption level, and the added bonus of not needing a memory card.

What about them annoys you?

Drinky Crow said:
The DS uses carts, and I *still* can't fathom the excitement to play games with first-generation 3D graphics. Ugly!

Well they can still make good 2d games....besides i think nintendo stated that 2d was still the main target for ds?

Drinky Crow said:
You wouldn't know it from the games they showcased.

I'd say that was mostly so they could get some sort of "wow" factor to seperate the system from the GBA. Showing that it was capable of 3D is more meaningful in its progression compared to the GBA than slightly better 2D graphics.

I'm hoping for a nice balance of 3D and 2D titles. I guess we'll see.

I dunno; I'd be significantly more hyped for polished latter-gen 2D graphics than PSOne-era 3D with low poly counts and crazy texture warping/pixellation.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lisa Lashes said:
They are so 1980's, I shudder at the inferior audio and cringe at the grainy FMVs.
Well, I won't pretend that DS carts will have as much room for redbook and FMVs as UMD discs, but they are big carts, and compression tech is improving all the time; Square-Enix has some pretty decent FMVs going into the GBA version of Kingdom Hearts, for example.

Still, it's a trade-off; I'll take less FMVs and more MIDI tunes for higher battery life, less breakable parts, and saving-to-game any day.

Greekboy

Banned
human5892 said:
Well, I won't pretend that DS carts will have as much room for redbook and FMVs as UMD discs, but they are big carts, and compression tech is improving all the time; Square-Enix has some pretty decent FMVs going into the GBA version of Kingdom Hearts, for example.

Still, it's a trade-off; I'll take less FMVs and more MIDI tunes for higher battery life, less breakable parts, and saving-to-game any day.

Fair enough but some of us will gladly trade in your dislikes for an overall improved gaming experience.

If the GBA2 clocks in with carts then I will surely get banned from this site.

jarrod

Banned
They're cards not carts. :p

Also from the specs I've seen DS has about three times the fillrate of PS1. It's like comparing DC to PS2 really, they might in the same range somewhat but that's about it and later gen games should show just how significant the difference really is.

Top Bottom