• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Every Vanillaware Game Ranked

6. Muramasa: The Demon Blade

5. GrimGrimoire OnceMore

4. Odin Sphere/Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

3. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

2. Unicorn Overlord

1. Dragon’s Crown

My favourite by far is 13 Sentinels. I'd rank them like this:
1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
2. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
3. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
4. Dragon’s Crown
5. GrimGrimoire

I haven't started Unicorn Overlord yet, because I decided tu fully focus on FFVII Rebirth for now. But I'm really glad to see it's been so well-received!

1. Unicorn Overlord
  2. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
  3. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  4. Dragon's Crown
  5. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  6. GrimGrimoire OnceMore

bender

What time is it?
Only played a bit of the Unicorn Overlord demo but 13 Sentinels is head and shoulders above the rest on my favorites list. Dragon's Crown is probably my least favorite.

My favourite by far is 13 Sentinels. I'd rank them like this:
1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
2. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
3. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
4. Dragon’s Crown
5. GrimGrimoire

I haven't started Unicorn Overlord yet, because I decided tu fully focus on FFVII Rebirth for now. But I'm really glad to see it's been so well-received!
Haven't played Unicron and didn't play Grimoire. And this is exactly my list. Cheers!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You asking to rank my babies….
200w.gif

Last edited:
DC is the best, although I’m still trudging through Rebirth and UO is waiting on the other side.

Odin’s Sphere is the one I bash of their offerings. Everything else is *chef’s kiss*

Pejo

I like 13 Sentinels but it was barely a "game" at all.

For me:
  1. Muramasa (Vita version that's content complete)
  2. Dragon's Crown
  3. Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir (lots of improvements over the original)
  4. (probably) Unicorn Overlord. Bought it but haven't played it yet.
  5. Princess Crown
  6. GrimGrimoire Once More
  7. 13 Sentinels. Good story stuff and amazing art, but the "gameplay" was terrible.

kunonabi

13 Sentinels is bottom for me. Once the mystery of what's going on goes away the story becomes completely uninteresting and I didn't care for any of the male character routes aside from Ogata's. GrimGrimoire or Dragon's Crown is probably my favorite so far since I haven't played UO yet.

Saber

Gold Member
Theres also the Grand Knights History(PSP) I think. But if I would rank it, would be in last position. This game has some serious balance issues. The pacing and quest design is not good as well.

Happy to see Dragons Crown first but this is extremelly weird for IGN. Maybe the person who voted is a totally different type of character from regular IGN fellas, which is fine by me.

Reactions: Isa

Deft Beck

I like 13 Sentinels but it was barely a "game" at all.

For me:
  1. Muramasa (Vita version that's content complete)
  2. Dragon's Crown
  3. Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir (lots of improvements over the original)
  4. (probably) Unicorn Overlord. Bought it but haven't played it yet.
  5. Princess Crown
  6. GrimGrimoire Once More
  7. 13 Sentinels. Good story stuff and amazing art, but the "gameplay" was terrible.

I think it's not really fair to 13 Sentinels to call it not a game. It's an adventure game and an RTS.

NT80

Only played Dragon's Crown but I like that a lot. Scrolling beat em up with RPG elements and offline co-op. These type of games are rare and this one was great. Seems they don't do sequels but I'd really like another one.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
surprising IGN would even rank dragons crown without a five paragraph diatribe about how the art is too offensive for modern audiences and should probably be redrawn.

Isa

I agree very weird for IGN but maybe its a reluctant placement to score points from the fanbase? Just a guess.

For me its,

1. Dragon's Crown
2. 13 Sentinels
3. Unicorn Overlord
4. Muramasa
5. GrimGrimoire

I like noticing the connections between some of their games such as GrimGrimoire, 13 Sentinels and Unicorn Overlord such as how the RTS system works like the lines denoting commands or targeting. Shared DNA between their creations is pretty cool. As much as I like UO I just clicked with 13 Sentinel's combat much more, and the art, stories and music were overall more to my taste even though I love fantasy more. But like Danjin said I can't really pick between our babies lol, though currently DC is for me my absolute fave and I want another go at it with more places to fight through.

Deft Beck

Well, VNDB, the universally accepted arbiters of deciding on whether something is a VN or, in fact, a game say that it's not a VN.

They were just being pedantic. The game quickly rose to be the top-rated VN on the site, and the admins wanted to remove it from the conversation on a purity basis. It was very petty.

I'm kinda a newcomer to Vanillaware (only played 13 Sentinels and I'm about 40h into my Unicorn Overlord playthrough) so I can't say for sure how legit their ranking is.

That said, I did order earlier today Dragon's Crown (the steelbook version for PS4) and will play it after I'm done with Unicorn Overlord.

Last edited:

cireza

I have played several Vanillaware games, but I can't say that anything was outstanding as far as I am concerned. They all have great visuals and music, however gameplay is always lacking in my opinion. Games like Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere or Muramasa are super repetitive and become tedious, and Unicorn Overlord feels quite weak compared to Brigandine for example.

To sum this up, I have been supporting this developer for years (bought Muramasa, Odin Sphere, Unicorn collector, Dragon Crown and even played Grand Knights, so you can't complain HAHA !). I think that they are doing their best but honestly, in terms of pure gameplay, they are not really up there and they could definitely improve.

Last edited:

Hudo

They were just being pedantic. The game quickly rose to be the top-rated VN on the site, and the admins wanted to remove it from the conversation on a purity basis. It was very petty.
Yeah, the guys over at VNDB are the equivalent of RPG Codex for RPGs.

Hardcore retards.

Shifty1897

I have really only played 13 Sentinels for any meaningful amount of time but I loved it. I'll be buying Unicorn Overlord at some point this year once enough of my backlog is slayed.

Anyone know if dragons crown pro JP region supports english text in menus/story?
As I understood it , the pro version is the only one to support online multiplayer.

Top Bottom