• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Expo | Summer of Gaming 2021

Kagey K

Banned
Lol even the hosts poked some fun at Unpacking.

Disciples feels like they were just throwing numbers up going look how much stuff is in our game.

Nickolaidas

The black dude is trying way too hard to be funny and hype. The white dude has more or less surrendered to his fate.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
The forced banter between these two hosts

Oh God Reaction GIF

edit: youtube comment from the livestream
"SUMMER OF CRINGING" lol

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you arena shooter fans managed to see Splitgate. You guys were just talking about wanting a new arena shooter in a thread last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody needs to make middle ware tools to help indie devs make character models and animation that doesn't look 2 gens behind the environments
You're absolutely right. This will unfortunately happen more and more as our dev tools progress.

Who decided what the hosts say in the show? Program director?
It felt like they needed to show they still have staff at IGN lol. Their channel has been 90% trailers and gameplay previews this year with almost zero faces shown. I keep expecting them to change their channel's name one day to this:
hqdefault.jpg

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
My picks of show:

Games that need more footage/need more work, but to keep an eye out for:

Unpacking seems cool, just not for me. Also I didn't count DLC trailers or games that I already knew about from a previous event, like SiFU, Tunic, Mortal Shell, Streets of Rage 4, and Skatebird, but I am interested in those.

Last edited by a moderator:

CamHostage

Why is it so hard to find hosts that aren't... I can’t find words that are okay. You know what I mean.
You're going to get a lot of that this year. People are hosting a live global televised event from their home offices two rooms down the hall from their screaming kids...

Better to hear a host come with some energy than listening to somebody drone on and on about market factors and production goals with no gameplay to look at. Shit's hard to do well, and the audience starts with children, not old fucks like you and me. Come for the show or don't; all the trailers get posted later and Youtube has a skip button if you timeslip, it's on you if you choose to watch things you don't enjoy watching.

Jamie Kennedy is gone, at least it can never go back to that...

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Still out there. But generally shoved into corners where hardly anyone will find them.

I absolutely loathe the fake enthusiasm of today. It's such bullshit. I feel like they think I'm an idiot, so they treat my like one.
I actually think the opposite is happening where they're teaching those same geeks and nerds speaking and presentational skills so that they don't come across as awkward on camera. Day9 is a great example of someone who is both.

CamHostage

I actually think the opposite is happening where they're teaching those same geeks and nerds speaking and presentational skills so that they don't come across as awkward on camera. Day9 is a great example of someone who is both.

True. Jeff Gerstmann may have never known a makeup artist for the first decade of covering videogames. Now, I'm certain he has a simple but regular regiment before he steps in front of a camera.

FrozenFlame

My picks of show:

Games that need more footage/need more work, but to keep an eye out for:

Unpacking seems cool, just not for me. Also I didn't count DLC trailers or games that I already knew about from a previous event, like SiFU, Tunic, Mortal Shell, Streets of Rage 4, and Skatebird, but I am interested in those.

Not watching the IGN show but I have to say that these videos are more interesting than what was showed in the yesterday show (well, with the exception of Elden Ring, obviously).

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Not watching the IGN show but I have to say that these videos are more interesting than what was showed in the yesterday show (well, with the exception of Elden Ring, obviously).
Sometimes the people you least expect get the better trailer grabs and gameplay showcase deals. Either Geoff made bad second half-picks or IGN beat him to the better deal.

Kimahri

Banned
You're going to get a lot of that this year. People are hosting a live global televised event from their home offices two rooms down the hall from their screaming kids...

Better to hear a host come with some energy than listening to somebody drone on and on about market factors and production goals with no gameplay to look at. Shit's hard to do well, and the audience starts with children, not old fucks like you and me. Come for the show or don't; all the trailers get posted later and Youtube has a skip button if you timeslip, it's on you if you choose to watch things you don't enjoy watching.

Jamie Kennedy is gone, at least it can never go back to that...
No, strongly disagree.

This stuff can be done without hosts who seem high on cocaine. It has been done. Cut the bullshit, nobody's here to see you. Nintendo does it well with their Directs. Minimal talking, maximum focus on games. Want more personalities and mumbo jumbo? Watch Treehouse afterwards.

I hope you arena shooter fans managed to see Splitgate. You guys were just talking about wanting a new arena shooter in a thread last month.

I played a bit of this early on sometime ago on PC. It is looking a LOT more polished now. I'll have to check this out on Xbox for sure. Thanks, I missed the stream and caught this thanks to your post.

It certainly is as described. Halo + Portal. It is good solid fun. You have to remember this was a passion project for a small team, sounds like it has gone from strength to strength. If I recall this thing is all about getting the gunplay and FPS down right above all else. I remember it moving and flowing very well with excellent netcode too.

Last edited:
Man I am excited for more Tunic, I have been following it for years and it looks great!

Kind of weird presentation/attitude by that one host but I am always here for Brian Altano. Dude is a treasure and should be appreciated. Though I will say some of the excitement hype man stuff he did came across forced. He is all about real takes so seeing him in this role is strange.

GeorgPrime

Banned
They were showing a fire fighter game at the guerillla collective? Which one was that?

Edit:

Ahh found it

That reminds me of one old game i played back then

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Fak yea city of angels

We will be right back ( forgot to announce anything )

Honestly this shit is unwwatchable, holy shit

Last edited:
Top Bottom