• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN : More people visited our site on PS5 preorder day than Black Friday (misrepresented by H-I-M, OP)

H-I-M

30:35 (after the Bethesda and Microsoft pre-order segment)

I think people are underestimating particularly the PS5 how big of a deal that was.
It was bigger than Black Friday on IGN, and not a little bit bigger but much much bigger.
It's really unprecedented and I think it's much much bigger than an iPhone launch or anything that has ever happened before.

Last edited by a moderator:
2aqSTpT.jpg

sixamp

We all know that ps5 generates more clicks than xbox but this gen start isn't like any gen start before due to Covid. We had note,scalpers and covid fearer try hards doing everything possible to get a consoles for resale or hoarding.

Matt_Fox

"It was bigger than Black Friday on IGN, and not a little bit bigger but much much bigger.
It's really unprecedented and I think it's much much bigger than an iPhone launch or anything that has ever happened before.
"

I'm confused, isn't IGN a news website not a sales website?! If this was Amazon saying this then okay...

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So given their pre orders are better than apples product, where the users are called apple sheeps.

Does that mean those who pre ordered are... Sony pony sheeps? 🤔

Don't worry I'll close the door when I let myself out.

H-I-M

Of course the launch of a new console gen is bigger than a regular Black Friday that happens every year.

Also on IGN?!
They don't even sell stuff.

He specifically pointed that out for the PS5 and said that they've never seen anything like this before.

The video was also recorded after the Xbox launch...

jigglet

Banned
Comparing it to iPhone attempts to put things into perspective, but it really doesn't. A device that literally sells 100 million units a year is just different. It's also a product that historically goes on preorder 7 days before release.

Matt_Fox

OP, you're misrepresenting this as sales. I just listened to what the podcaster guy actually said. He's talking about clicks to IGN because of how disorganised and poor the pre-order was, so lots of gamers went to IGN to try and find out what was going on and where/when consoles might be available. You omitted this line:

"total click volume, it's a multi-national how can they have problems with this. But I guess Xbox did too..."

This is clicks due to the disaster of how Sony handled communication around the pre order, nothing to do with sales figures.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

PS4 came after the PS3 Era...Had to start a new.
PS5 will be even more successful Coming after PS4

Last edited:
He specifically pointed that out for the PS5 and said that they've never seen anything like this before.

The video was also recorded after the Xbox launch...

Seen what?

Apple sells over 50 million iPhones a quarter.
That's a whole console generation or half a generation if you talk about the very successful consoles.
He didn't give any numbers or metrics.

IGN doesn't sell stuff.
It's just their interest on their website or whatever.

Last edited:
Got of a call to a rep at my local game store. They can't guarantee a console until next year and even then it's a bit of a stretch to get one. Sold out here in 30 minutes countrywide. I'm in NZ by the way
The demand for PS5 is rediculous.

Only console in stock is Series S.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I mean come on .. its PlayStation , nothing can slow it down even if MS buys Sony its self .

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
What is That supposed to even mean? Why would I even visit IGN on Black Friday? And of course, we have a Pandemic. People are staying at home, more people are online. No wonder.

H-I-M

OP, you're misrepresenting this as sales. I just listened to what the podcaster guy actually said. He's talking about clicks to IGN because of how disorganised and poor the pre-order was, so lots of gamers went to IGN to try and find out what was going on and where/when consoles might be available. You omitted this line:

"total click volume, it's a multi-national how can they have problems with this. But I guess Xbox did too..."

This is clicks due to the disaster of how Sony handled communication around the pre order, nothing to do with sales figures.

One generated traffic so high it's unprecedented, the other one didn't.

Both had similar disastrous pre-orders.

I never mentioned sales.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

lol dude is totally talking about clicks....

Chibi D from the Cagcast mentioned the same thing. Couldn’t come out and say it but one retailer sold like 4x what the others did, when co host commented on how Amazon was sending out emails that you won’t get it a launch he says bingo or something.

lets all laugh at the OP

Iphones release yearly so is blackfriday every year, a new play station is about to be released after 7 years hype and pre-orders should be through the roof its a once in a decade kind of release /event

Orky

Banned

Ah ok. This makes much more sense. I was wondering what OP actually meant, but this makes much much more sense.
people were very confused hence they to go to IGN to get information regarding pre order.
no reason during iPhone launch or Black Friday to Go to ign.

kyoji

What? lol

CAB_Life

“It was bigger than Black Friday on IGN”. I’m trying to find the part where they state, empirically, anything about sales or pre-order units. They’re talking about site traffic. I’m assuming the thread title was done in error, or fervent excitement, because it’s clickbait nonsense otherwise.

Furthermore suggesting that the PS5 will eclipse iPhone sales, however anecdotally or conjectural, is absolute horseshit.

PS5 is a nice piece of kit, will have awesome games, and will do very well. Please stop embarassing yourselves with this vapid cheerleading.

Kerotan

Much bigger then xbox anyway. Ireland is basically like the UK market just ob6a smaller scale. Xbox has always been reasonably popular here. The xbox series S has still not sold out in either gamestop or smyths who are the two main retailers for consoles. The xbox series X is sold out in one but not the other.

Meanwhile ps5 editions long sold out and most of the accessories too. They still have the controller, camera and media remote but I'm told by gamestop the controllers will be sold out too.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wasn't kinect back then bigger launch then iPhone, just because it sells does not mean it's going to be good or so I've been told.

H-I-M

Your thread title says something different. The pre order was bigger? What the fuck does that even mean? It says something entirely different in the article.

If anything you should ask yourself why IGN was confident enough to say that it was bigger than an iPhone launch based on the data they have access to (which you don't).
His words, not mine.

But you're right, this probably doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Leave it to Sony NeoGAF to turn info on how miss managed preorders where into some sort of “win”....

Loxus

I don't get why people blaming the preorder mess on Sony.
They said the 17th and retailers opened on the 16th.
It's the retailers that jumped the gun.
Just more misinformation to add to the list.

Not to mention retailers accepting to many preorders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom