• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Nintendo DSi Countdown

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CTLance said:
:lol
Eat dirt, pirate scum. Sucks for all legitimate users though. All three of them. ;)

i can't wait to be using sd card homebrew and ripping my ds games day one when i buy my dsi.

sp0rsk said:

Sorry... that was for pre-orders at Bic in Shinjuku.

If you guys are gong to take line video, I'd suggest not going to Shinjuku, as everywhere I checked today was pre-order only.

2132368501.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nuclear Muffin said:
So it's already out? Great! Someone get some shots of the DSi Store and details! (What's on there? What sections are there? Prices!)

It's midnight in Japan... might have to wait for while till the morning.

CTLance

Waitasec, the power button is raised above the surrounding case?
I hadn't paid it much attention, because I somehow concluded it would be flush, or even recessed a bit to avoid accidental power offs.

D:

Other then that, looks neat, but I'm sticking with my phat, at least for the time being. Not hyped, even with the countless tiny improvements.

VOOK

CTLance said:
Waitasec, the power button is raised above the surrounding case?
I hadn't paid it much attention, because I somehow concluded it would be flush, or even recessed a bit to avoid accidental power offs.

D:

Other then that, looks neat, but I'm sticking with my phat, at least for the time being. Not hyped, even with the countless tiny improvements.

You have to hold it to turn it off, if you just press it the DS Menu comes up.

Oh and to all those dumb sites that reported that the DSi was region locked flat out without researching exactly what was region locked (the store) this is for you.

sgseog.jpg
25f5cnm.jpg

SUCK

Kilrogg said:
This is the DS that might make me put my DS Phat in a drawer :O.

Anything should make you put the Phat in a drawer ;)

Thanks for the pics! The screen really does look a bit bigger. I'm just a bit concerned about the battery life.

CTLance

DS Phat defense force, assemble!
VOOK said:
You have to hold it to turn it off, if you just press it the DS Menu comes up.
Yeah, but will this shut down the game or will it allow you to resume playing by e.g. pressing it again? I somewhat doubt the latter happens...

I have a distinct fear of losing progress in a game just because my big paws hit the power switch by accident. I just held my phat, and when pressing right on the dpad my thumb is dangerously close to where I presume the power switch would be. This may only be a problem for big-handed guys like me, though.

VOOK

CTLance said:
DS Phat defense force, assemble!

Yeah, but will this shut down the game or will it allow you to resume playing by e.g. pressing it again? I somewhat doubt the latter happens...

I have a distinct fear of losing progress in a game just because my big paws hit the power switch by accident. I just held my phat, and when pressing right on the dpad my thumb is dangerously close to where I presume the power switch would be. This may only be a problem for big-handed guys like me, though.

I'll let you know, my hands can be described as such. :p

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So the sound is like PSP quality now? I'd get one since the DSphat bass sounds really crappy when you play with low sound.

Also, is the d-pad on par with DSphat (click instead of push) now?

farnham

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
Anything should make you put the Phat in a drawer ;)

Thanks for the pics! The screen really does look a bit bigger. I'm just a bit concerned about the battery life.
The phat is vastly superior to the Lite

and i have both

VOOK

Sorry guys that's not my DSi, I just found the pics on a blog and have been reading their impressions, mine will be arriving monday though.

Sorry :(

maxmars

VOOK said:
Sorry guys that's not my DSi, I just found the pics on a blog and have been reading their impressions, mine will be arriving monday though.

no problem, will wait for your own impressions. Thanks. :)

vareon

VOOK said:

:lol doesn't matter, just keep the impressions coming. Just make a new thread if you want when yours come or something. Perhaps the official impressions thread for the lucky early adopters.

CTLance

Pureauthor said:
The only thing the Lite has going for it over the DSTank is the stylus. All the other stuff is ultimately inconsequential.
The screen of the Lite just shits all over the phat DS's screen. This is not even up for discussion. I still own a phat because it's ridiculously more comfortable for me to hold, if it wasn't for that I'd have bought a Lite years ago after watching the cabel movie clip.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Oh God, what have I done?

Calm down, everyone :p. I'm willing to admit that the DS Lite is better than the DS Phat (save for the speakers), even though I like my DS Phat and its oldschool sturdy form factor.

The DSi, however, adds significantly more to the DS than the DS Lite, enough so that I may consider buying one when it comes out in Europe.

CTLance said:
The screen of the Lite just shits all over the phat DS's screen. This is not even up for discussion. I still own a phat because it's ridiculously more comfortable for me to hold, if it wasn't for that I'd have bought a Lite years ago after watching the cabel movie clip.

You are talking (typing?) to a guy who never had any problem with the screen of the original GBA. DSTank to DSLite screen transition barely registers with me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
The only thing the Lite has going for it over the DSTank is the stylus. All the other stuff is ultimately inconsequential.

i know they don't have hallowe'en in singapore, but that doesn't make it backwards day there instead.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pureauthor has cat eyes confirmed.

The small stylus never bothered me and I could live with the fact that my Phat was the size of a newborn, but the screen brightness being the pure shit it was made me put the cash on a Lite as soon as I could long ago. Absolutely no regrets in trading the Phat for its sexier cousin and the fact that I had to use the imposter original model for some time knowing that the real deal was out there only made it more delicious when I finally got it.

Pureauthor said:
You are talking (typing?) to a guy who never had any problem with the screen of the original GBA. DSTank to DSLite screen transition barely registers with me.
Dear God.

Do you have, like, eyes and stuff?

Those shoulder buttons look much better. Any impressions on how they feel? same with the d-pad. D-pad is the same shape, but hopefully it is better than the DS Lite one.

Stumpokapow said:
i know they don't have hallowe'en in singapore, but that doesn't make it backwards day there instead.

Yeah, our backwards day is on 5th April, where we sit around and discuss how much better off we'd have been if we stuck with Malaysia and how badly the PAP has driven the country's economy into the ground.

Also, is the menu screen persistent like on PS3/360 or do you have quit the game or any one application that you're currently running like on Wii?

Can you do custom soundtracks with DS games?

dannie

kinggroin said:
Does anyone know for sure if the DSi's battery life is the same as or worse than a DS Lite's?
the size of the DSi battery is smaller [both size and mAh]
DSL 1000mAh DSi 840mAh

Tenbatsu

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, our backwards day is on 5th April, where we sit around and discuss how much better off we'd have been if we stuck with Malaysia and how badly the PAP has driven the country's economy into the ground.
Its an honest mistake!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just read some impressions, the new screens seems to be even better than the ds lite one - didn`t knew that. When can we expect impressions from our j-gaf-connection ?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
slaughterking said:
This may be a dumb question, but what exactly are the screens showing/proving? :I

japanese dsi english phantom hourglass no region lock; taken to debunk avid readers of StupidShittyGameBlog.com that misreported the region lock information.

Parl

Pureauthor said:
Yay, somebody called it "DS Tank" instead of the annoying "DS Phat".

Top Bottom