• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones Review

Link

The Autumn Wind
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/672/672820p1.html
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/673/673220p1.html
http://cube.ign.com/articles/673/673223p1.html

Closing Comments
Two Thrones is great. The story is cool, the heroes are likable, the weak are pitiable, the villains are bastards, the major plot points are exciting, the art is grand, the sound is wonderful...and then the gameplay comes. The established Prince platforming is terrific! The new emphasis on acrobatics as a means to extend combat (and vice versa) is exactly where the series needs to go, too. But there can't be so much light without touches of darkness.

On paper, the Dark Prince is a nice way of establishing the real Prince as a character. The darkness's personality highlights the changes the real Prince has undergone throughout the series and elaborates on his motivations, while at the same time contrasting our boy's princely nature with identifiable human failings. It's a fun way of making players feel like champions when they do something heroic. But the gameplay that comes along with his sandy highness works against the overall experience. At times it feels like every bit of wonder is always followed or preceded by the Dark Prince, which represents the sum of Warrior Within's faults -- a reluctant admission that Prince of Persia still aspires to be a simple action game when it's so much more than goblin chopping.

Still, this game is great...damn great. It's a terrific end to a satisfying series.

9.5 Presentation
Back to the way it should be! There's a great story, good unlockables, plenty of charm, and the game actually makes sense this time.
9.0 Graphics
More style and more life. Two Thrones features a city in decay, oppressive alleys, open vistas, lush gardens and plenty to marvel at.
9.5 Sound
Actors we love and music we love. We love it! But...there is an odd hiccup or two. Glitches, nothing more.
8.0 Gameplay
The new quick kills are great. Bosses and chariot races are also cool, but the Dark Prince leaves much to be desired.
6.5 Lasting Appeal
The story clocks in at about eight hours, but the extras are easy to get at and there's little incentive to dive back in from the start.
8.8 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Sounds good.

Biglesworth23 said:
Am I a bad person in that I've never played one of these new Prince of Persia games?
First one is just awesome. It was one of the few games I had to show my friends and family during the holiday break. I remember feeling like it was a huge step forward for the series and for platforming puzzle games.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
APF said:
Sands of Time is a great game. Like most fans I couldn't get into WW though.
I didn't even waste my time after giving my friend’s copy a try. I was really put off on the direction they took with the game, not just story and character direction but gameplay as well. Anyways I'll give this one a shot, seems to concentrate more on the meat of PoP: the adventuring aspect sprinkled with some fighting here and there.

I agree though, Sands of Time was excellent and had an excellent balance between the fighting and platforming/adventuring like the old titles had. Really enjoyed that game, especially the real ending boss (
traversing that castle
).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SS4Gogita said:
So I guess I'm the only person who thoroughly enjoyed both SoT and WW?
Nope, I enjoyed both. I can't help but think that a lot of people didn't give the second game a fair swing or simply allowed the "angst" to get in the way. It was a better game than the original, but fell completely flat when it came to telling a story.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SS4Gogita said:
Naah, the game had its fans and in truth wasn't terrible. It just didn't click with some people, for example Jeff Minter.

The angst annoyed me, but SoT was definitely the better game. The more important thing however is that WW sold well (me thinks) and the team has gotten themselves on the right track with TT while keeping their "darker" story. Everyone wins!

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I think I'd be a little angsty too if I couldn't sleep or eat much thanks to a creature who wants to ensure my death. And honestly, I really didn't get that sort of vibe from him anyway.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I enjoyed the 2nd the 2nd time I tried it. It has some great environments and improved mechanics here and there...but the first had such great atmosphere and storytelling. It couldn't help but feel more generic. I'm looking forward to trying this.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I thought some of the gameplay in WW was better than SoT. More refined environmental puzzles, more refined platforming. As shitty, but faster combat. I guess that's a plus?

But it really sunk in level design, poorly-implemented backtracking that did nothing but artificially pad the game's length... not to mention the ugly art direction and hideous music.

OVERALL, I definitely preferred SoT... by a large margin. WW had some improvements and good ideas, but in general was executed all wrong. IMHO, of course.

Good score. Maybe the "lets judge super harshly" syndrome that xbox360.ign.com picked up is transfering over to ps2.ign.com

Sands of Time was great.
I stopped playing Warrior Within after hitting two game-killing bugs. The first was early on when a cutscene failed to play--the one where the big ugly guy knocks a hole in the wall, therefore there was no hole to go through and I couldn't progress.
The second, a little further in, turned me into zombie prince when I loaded, even though I wasn't at that part of the game yet, and seemed to lock me out of progressing anywhere.

I got through those parts by re-loading older saves, but eventually I got stuck again and couldn't tell if I'd hit another goddamn bug or was just lost. It wasn't worth the trouble of trying to find out.

Looked pretty good by the trailers i've seen. Loved SoT and HATED WW. Therefore, this is a rent before you buy situation.

Is anyone else getting a God of War vibe here?

Amir0x

Banned
SS4Gogita said:

Nah, as I said in the other thread I liked both a lot. I never quite understood why people hated Warrior Within with SUCH venom, because its gameplay mechanics are still quite solid, although the focus may put some off. The music was lame, granted, and the atmosphere lost something, but it still had great gameplay. Which is why I loved it.

But I'm even more excited about Two Thrones, 'cause it seems to borrow more heavily from Sands of Times formula (angsty dual personalities aside).

n-off

Am I the only one who thinks the old original prince of persia was far more fun than those new ones?

M

muphins

Unconfirmed Member
n-off said:
Am I the only one who thinks the old original prince of persia was far more fun than those new ones?
Yes.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I got like 2/3rds through WW and I just quit playing it. I dunno why... I just couldn't stand it anymore. I got sooo sick of backtracking over and over again, same puzzles, traps, etc... I just put it down and never bothered playing it again.

SoT though was fucking phenomenal. One of the top 10 games of this generation, imho

Did Warrior Within ever get cheap in Canada? I think the cheapest I've seen it is $37 or something... I'd pick it up at $20-$25...

Solid

Just read this review at Xbox Advanced (got a 9.0)...

+ The Speed Kill system.
+ Great platforming gamplay.
+ Amazing story and setting.
- Some graphic and animation glitches.
- Music cuts off abruptly at some points.
- Checkpoints and save spots are too far apart.

Why the fuck didnt Ubisoft bugtest this game??? They knew Warrior Within was a mess yet they treat this the same way. F* cun**.

lordmrw

dark10x said:
Nope, I enjoyed both. I can't help but think that a lot of people didn't give the second game a fair swing or simply allowed the "angst" to get in the way. It was a better game than the original, but fell completely flat when it came to telling a story.

I just don't get it either. My only issue was with the music, which I really couldn't stand. The majority of the angst was mostly in the beginning.

And I just have to accept the fact that no matter what they do, I will never like the combat in the PoP games. The platforming is just done too well for me to enjoy combat when it shows up.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Amir0x said:
Nah, as I said in the other thread I liked both a lot. I never quite understood why people hated Warrior Within with SUCH venom, because its gameplay mechanics are still quite solid, although the focus may put some off. The music was lame, granted, and the atmosphere lost something, but it still had great gameplay. Which is why I loved it.
It has far more to do with taking a step back in gameplay and losing the focus of what makes PoP great rather than the angst. Why are you people so hung up on that? Granted I'll give you the GAF ridicule when the game first appeared but most of the complaints after it was released stem from the fact that WW was a shadow of what SoT was. What people hate is that their much beloved series took a step back when it obviously found such a perfect mix with its resurrection. Like I said, it’s not a terrible game at all, in fact I found it pretty damn decent in several areas. I gave it a fair 5 hour try after loathing the demo and unfortunately it just didn't appeal to me like SoT did. However if you really want to talk about venomous hate ask me what I think about the Dreamcast release PoP 3D. ;)

Now check it out, this new sequel manages to learn from the mistakes of WW and actually seems to offer something more than SoT. Level Design and platforming appears to be the focus this time around (you know, the REASON why we play PoP) and it keeps the "dark" atmosphere and brooding of WW. I really don't care about the Dark Prince alternate personality or whatever other nonsense they thought would bring in the sales, I'm just happy to see the series do a return to form.

lordmrw said:
And I just have to accept the fact that no matter what they do, I will never like the combat in the PoP games. The platforming is just done too well for me to enjoy combat when it shows up.
I feel the exact same way. Its not that I dislike it but I find myself "putting up with it" just to get to the fantastic platforming/adventuring. The best compliment I could give it is that it’s decent and gets the job done. Having a PoP game revolve around the combat is stupid. Luckily that’s not the case with The Two Towers.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:

Much of PoP:SoT's charm was it's story, voice acting and character development.

The gameplay rocked too.

WW turned me off immediately. I think they are idiots for doing what they did to his character.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I hold Sands of Time in the same regard as the likes of ICO. It really is a wonderful, fairy-tale like game that blew me away when I played it. I hated what happened with the sequel so I'm not 100% sure I'll get this straight away. The reviews I've read sound positive so far though.

BigBoss

Solid said:
Why the fuck didnt Ubisoft bugtest this game??? They knew Warrior Within was a mess yet they treat this the same way. F* cun**.

Ubisoft treats all of their games this way, they all suffer from bugs. As long as Two Thrones isn't as buggy as Warrior Within I'll be fine.

SS4Gogita said:

Not at all

I loved Sands of Time for the mysterious ambiance and brillian platforming.

Warrior Within was actually an improvement in terms of combat AND platforming. I thought the gameplay was excellent, though the combat falls well short of Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. However, the ambiance took a big hit in Warrior Within, and the music was simply awful.

Loved the Dahaka, though. Those parts added a real sense of urgency and, thus, helped keep the game lively.

whytemyke said:
I got like 2/3rds through WW and I just quit playing it. I dunno why... I just couldn't stand it anymore. I got sooo sick of backtracking over and over again, same puzzles, traps, etc... I just put it down and never bothered playing it again.

SoT though was fucking phenomenal. One of the top 10 games of this generation, imho

You make a good point there. The backtracking was absurd at times. And too often the game left you completely confused as to where to go next. That was the game's biggest gameplay failing, by far.

I still think the actual platforming aspects were actually improved in Warrio Within, though, with a more diverse move set, a quicker pace and some clever environmental puzzles.

VictimOfGrief said:
I'll wait for this to hit $20 bucks. PoP2 was a big dissapointed with all the bugs.

Did I just not encounter these bugs? I mean, there were occasional clipping issues and points where the sound either abruptly cut out or just wasn't there at all (some of the voice acting just ... well ... wasn't there). But overall, it didn't strike me as especially buggy. Not as polished as some of hte bigger titles out there, but above average I'd say.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
SS4Gogita said:
Nope. I anjoyed both too, but SoT was a lot better. The environments and scenery were breath-taking in SoT, whilst in WW they just were not as good. Ubi's attempt at trying to make the game "mature" backfired on them because they did a shit job. The bug that made people restart the game from the beginning was a major problem, but I wa lucky enough not to experience that. The first one was excellent and it looks as though TT is more like the original, which is the best direction the series could have taken.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
ghostlyjoe said:
Did I just not encounter these bugs? I mean, there were occasional clipping issues and points where the sound either abruptly cut out or just wasn't there at all (some of the voice acting just ... well ... wasn't there). But overall, it didn't strike me as especially buggy. Not as polished as some of hte bigger titles out there, but above average I'd say.
I didnt encounter these bugs too, but there were some awful ones in the game. There was one part close to the end that could have caused you to restart the game from the beginning. Some of us were lucky enough not to experience that.

Xrenity

ghostlyjoe said:
I only encountered one save file bug, but this wasn't that much of a problem.

The game was awesome, and better that SoT. The style of SoT was cooler though, it was a real prince back then.

Can anyone provide or link me to a story summary for Warrior Within? I searched on GameFAQs but there is none. I loved SoT but skipped WW, I'd like to know what happened in the story before I play Two Thrones... Thanks!

Top Bottom