• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PSP 2 is coming (rumor)

StuBurns

Banned
Kenka said:
I don't even know what to say....
Agreed, insane talk.

I think PSP2 will be about xbox level, 480p, 16/9. Similar design to the DS, clam shell, probably cart based retail distribution. WiFi PSN store distribution also. 32GB internal storage, flash ports for extended memory.

Full PS1, PSP BC, No PS2 BC.

Basic dual shock controller layout but with two laptop style touch pads as appose to sticks.

And it's a phone.

Mrbob

Aru said:
If it's removable, why not but if we lose the removability to have this, then no !

Well I'm thinking 32GB built in, and then an expansion slot to add more storage if needed.

stuburns said:
Agreed, insane talk.

I think PSP2 will be about xbox level, 480p, 16/9. Similar design to the DS, clam shell, probably cart based retail distribution. WiFi PSN store distribution also. 32GB internal storage, flash ports for extended memory.

Basic dual shock controller layout but with two laptop style touch pads as appose to sticks.

And it's a phone.

Agreed. Moble PS2 games are not going to happen for a LONG time. The PS2's EE+GS combo chip is still stuck at 90nm. and I read some where that it would take a huge capital investment to produce them on a 65nm node let alone 45nm.

Mrbob said:
Well I'm thinking 32GB built in, and then an expansion slot to add more storage if needed.

if sony's including tiny memory sticks with the psp now, i doubt they'll give us very much integrated storage. if they go the 2-SKU route like im thinking, the UMD-less SKU would have a lot of on board storage, possibly no memory stick slot, and would be thinner/lighter. the other SKU would have the UMD drive, very little on board storage, and a mem stick slot.

StuBurns

Banned
Trailblazer said:
Agreed. Moble PS2 games are not going to happen for a LONG time. The PS2's EE+GS combo chip is still stuck at 90nm. and I read some where that it would take a huge capital investment to produce them on a 65nm node let alone 45nm.
Yeah, I don't think it's going to be possible, and even if it was, I don't think it'd be warranted. Sony can't be arsed to sell use PS1 games which takes almost no effort, with PS2 BC not being on the PS3, it being on the PS2 is going to confuse the hell out of people.

I think they'll port a couple for launch titles though.

camineet said:
What you're talking about, PSP-4000 or whatever, is already coming this year.

Completely different than a next-gen PSP2 handheld.

CPU: significant upgrade over PSP CPU. Probably a micro CELL with 1 SPE the strenght of Cell is the parallelism of its SPEs. if you remove all but one what's the point of the CPU? what you described has no sense at all (hint, the S in SPE stands for SINERGIC, hint)
GPU: PowerVR would be a much better choice than any equivalent Nvidia. Could have shader 4.0/4.1 capability and a very efficient design with low bandwidth requirements. out of reality
RAM: At least 128 MB this could be, which kind of ram is debatable though
resolution: 480p on a 3 or 4 inches screen, really?
the best multi touch screen impementation possible, plus tilt/motion sensors.
$199/fall 2010. all of the above at 199$? maybe bundled with a whore that jerks your cock while coming home from the shop?
I do agree PSP2 should be able to play PS2 games somehow, that could be a huge draw. this would basically means cropping 6 face buttons, 4 triggers, 2 analogs and a d-pad on a "supposed to be" thin handheld...
launch with GT Mobile, a new God of War, a new Grand Theft Auto and a Final Fantasy game to ensure huge, massive sales at launch. this would means development for those games should start 3 years before the platform even hit the stores, apart from convincing some third-parties to put their best franchises on a thin launch installed base, obviously.

Sony must form relationships with western developers and get them excited about working on a handheld that can run games that are like current-gen consoles in 480p. something Nintendo cannot offer with DS and probably won't offer with DS2, assuming DS2 is somewhere between a GCN and Wii in power and only capable of running last-gen graphics (given that DS is only capable of PS1/N64 like graphics). PSP2 must be capable of running UE3 engine games--I think a very powerful, efficient PowerVR SGX GPU will allow that in a portable for reasonable cost.

Beyond graphics, PSP2 will allow gameplay that DS cannot do, because of multi-touch. Sony needs both the hardcore games and the DS-like 'lifestyle' casual games/software. PSP2 has to be seen as a fun system first, with lots of casual software that WE GAFFERS don't give a shit about (but will help sell the thing) even though it'll have the hardcore games (that GAFFERS DO want) to back it up.

Fall 2010 is the soonest that the economy might get better. This year will be a disaster at best, assuming we don't slide into total depression and social breakdown, then no new game machines will launch anytime soon.

bolded answers. you forgot to mention which kind of battery you want for all that stuff above. maybe a nuclear one could be good...

Concept17

stuburns said:
Agreed, insane talk.

And it's a phone.

I don't think Sony wants to go in such an expensive route. I think you're spot on with PSN and PS1 compatibility. Those specs are possible, but I highly doubt it will be a phone. The system needs to stand out against the DS/DS2 as a gaming machine, and not against cell phones.

StuBurns

Banned
480 I believe. They need it. 272 looks like shit. Even the iPhone's 320 doesn't look that good.

Concept17 said:
I don't think Sony wants to go in such an expensive route. I think you're spot on with PSN and PS1 compatibility. Those specs are possible, but I highly doubt it will be a phone. The system needs to stand out against the DS/DS2 as a gaming machine, and not against cell phones.

You defiantly could be right, I think just because I've recently got an iPhone and would never even consider carrying more than one piece of consumer electronics with me now, that I see them going in that direction. But considering the DS sales, loads of people are still cool with doing that. My sister loves her DS, takes it everywhere, as well as her phone and an iPod.

Durante

Some strongly opinionated people should consider that right now (not more than a year in the future when we expect PSP2 at the soonest) the GP2X Wiz is sold for $180 at a profit, and the Pandora with completely crazy specs and features PSP2 would never have, designed by a few enthusiasts and manufactured only in extremely low volume, will sell for ~$300 using current technology.

Basically, because of the mass market proliferation of gadgets like smartphones, MIDs and netbooks, and the continuing advancement of SoCs all these components are cheaper than many here seems to think.

StuBurns

Banned
Durante said:
Some strongly opinionated people should consider that right now (not more than a year in the future when we expect PSP2 at the soonest) the GP2X Wiz is sold for $180 at a profit, and the Pandora with completely crazy specs and features PSP2 would never have, designed by a few enthusiasts and manufactured only in extremely low volume, will sell for ~$300 using current technology.

Basically, because of the mass market proliferation of gadgets like smartphones, MIDs and netbooks, and the continuing advancement of SoCs all these components are cheaper than many here seems to think.

Pandora is a brick. The PSP2 has to be small and elegant.
Games on the Wiz look like the fucking N-Gage.

Durante said:

mass producing a product sometimes could be more expensive than building just a few units.

Durante

stuburns said:
Pandora is a brick. The PSP2 has to be small and elegant.
Games on the Wiz look like the fucking N-Gage.
Pandora is a bit big but it's a clamshell design and it has tons of ports and slots the eventual PSP2 wouldn't have, as well as a keyboard! Its size is not dictated by the internal components, which are what this discussion is about. Also, it is actually based on aging technology: it does in 3 chips what OMAP 44x does better in 1. Regarding the quality of Wiz software: that has nothing to do with the capabilities of the hardware.

°°ToMmY°° said:
mass producing a product sometimes could be more expensive than building just a few units.
How? Unless you mean one-time expenses. I can't see how that could be the case on a per-unit basis.

An 4.3 inch 800x480 screen is certainly doable from a budget standpoint. They are starting to show up on the cheapy $120-$150 Chinese PMPs, which is usually a sign of mass production. Not to mention 800x480 and 854x480 screens have been on high to mid end Japanese phones for years.

As for graphical power, Sony will probably only bump it up enough to comfortably push the increase in resolution. So, roughly PS2 power sounds about right.

If this were indeed the case, then it would be easier for backward compatability to simply bump the specs of the current architecture, specifically video ram, main ram, and clock speed for the video card and CPU, then shrink to 45 nm. It's already relatively easy to work with. This would be the least expensive upgrade path.

Dual analog please. And R2/L2 buttons if possible (set up like on the Wii classic controller).

I'm betting late 2010 as PSP2, but if this generation has taught us anything, it's that nothing is impossible (like say late 2009 as PSP4000).

Top Bottom