• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reports real NPD handheld sales for November.

argon

GDGF said:
Something I've been wondering for awhile. Didn't Nintendo start it's own retail tracking system during the N64 days? I forget it's name...maybe it started with an e or an s. Am I completely tripping, or did this exist at one time? I couldn't find any info when I googled, but I swear I remember reading about this years ago.

Yea wasn't that called SIRUS or something? I remember people thought it was a secret game.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Doesn't NPD basically have a monopoly on game sales reporting in NA? If so, I'm not surprised that they screwed up--that's what happens when you have no competition.

Tarazet

Zaxxon said:
So is GBA development going to pick up again? I certainly hope so. It seems to be slowly dying off. FFV, FFVI and Pirate Battle are the only games I can think of that I want coming up... I don't know if Nintendo even has anything in the pipeline now that Mario Tennis and DK3 have been released.

GBA has so many games, it's not even funny.. by the time I finish just Shining Force, Mario & Luigi and Tactics Ogre (once I pick up a legit cart, that is *grumble*) the DS will probably be $20.

GDGF

Soothsayer
fatty said:
Fixed:

nintendo3rdparty.jpg

:lol Awesome

argon said:
Yea wasn't that called SIRUS or something? I remember people thought it was a secret game.

Yeah, that's it. I wonder what happened there.

The NPD strikes me as the most inept organization I have ever seen.

The numbers are always late month after month, and now they delay them indefinetely because of some math errors.

Fucking morons.

GhaleonEB

Chairman Yang said:
Doesn't NPD basically have a monopoly on game sales reporting in NA? If so, I'm not surprised that they screwed up--that's what happens when you have no competition.

They had competition a few years ago with PC Data. There were weekly charts coming out from PC Data (no numbers, just rankings) and NPD was forced to follow suit. Then NPD bought up PC Data, and *poof* the charts went away.

Yeah, lack of competition sucks big time.

jarrod

Banned
argon said:
It's called SiRAS and it's still in business as the largest point of purchase electronic registration and tracking network in America. It's implememnted at retailers like Best Buy, Gamestop, Wal-Mart and Target and used by manufactureres like Sony, Panasonic, GE and HP. If Nintendo were to set up their own sales tracking/estimation service for software sales, they could probably put NPD out of business... but there'd be some huge conflicts of interest there, which is probably why Nintendo seems content to let others do the counting.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Do we have such tracking for ipod line of product? How did Ipods video performed in November?

Top Bottom