• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Retro Studios Working on Donkey Kong Revival

Gilby

DieNgamers said:
I think DKC2 is easily the best! Jungle Beat was really cool but I didn't like the Bongos.

The bongos took some getting used to, and the music obviously wasn't up to dkc2 levels (but then again, what is?), but the actual gameplay was the best non-mario 2D platforming I've ever played. The combo system was genius, and made the game about momentum. The levels where you had to combo the entire thing to get platinum were fantastically fun. This was definitely one of those games where trying for 100% was a different experience than whole thing.

farnham

Banned
DKJB and DKC2 is not really comparable either

DKJB is a bongo game and it did the best it could with that control scheme.

NPC shouldnt count because it was a retrofitted game

Jungle Beat was one of the few high score oriented games I really had good fun with. DKC2 had an adventure part that made the game for me. Finding secret passages and items was a great feeling. :)

Gilby

DieNgamers said:
Jungle Beat was one of the few high score oriented games I really had good fun with. DKC2 had an adventure part that made the game for me. Finding secret passages and items was a great feeling. :)

I definitely agree, DKC2 was more of a "complete package", but I would really love another 2D platformer with the combo mechanic. If you combined the music and scale of DKC2 with the mechanics and character design of DKJB you would have one hell of a game. That being said, I would expect something completely new and awesome from Retro.

Edit: Also, the voice from JB is hilarious and awesome.

Is anyone else getting sick and tired of the words "reboot", "revival", and their ilk? We get it, what's old is new again, throwback to the 90's/80's etc. Just make the effin' game and make it fun and we'll buy it. It seems like "reboot" is the excuse for lack of innovation and big budget games (which seem to be the big sellers these days).

In a sense, I guess Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's longest-running franchises, but it seems strange for Retro to be working on it.

farnham

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
Is anyone else getting sick and tired of the words "reboot", "revival", and their ilk? We get it, what's old is new again, throwback to the 90's/80's etc. Just make the effin' game and make it fun and we'll buy it. It seems like "reboot" is the excuse for lack of innovation and big budget games (which seem to be the big sellers these days).

In a sense, I guess Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's longest-running franchises, but it seems strange for Retro to be working on it.
it seemed strange when they worked on metroid

TunaLover

meh, more platformers, Wii doesn't need more platformers, it could be interesting having Retro developing a brand new IP, now they will traped until Donkey Kong Wii 3.

meh

The M.O.B

TunaLover said:
meh, more platformers, Wii doesn't need more platformers, it could be interesting having Retro developing a brand new IP, now they will traped until Donkey Kong Wii 3.

meh

Wtf, In a world full of brown HD shooting games and space marines, I will take any platformer I can get.

Azure J

TunaLover said:

meh

Different strokes I guess. I fucking love the Wii since it's like a paradise for those of us who need a good platformer more than they need air. I'll kinda concede the point that having Retro develop a new IP would be good (since I agree) but all the same this exercise is also good for iseeing what Retro can do under different creative "constraints". Since we don't know what they can do with a more quirky & cartoonish kind of character and setting, but we know that they are awesome with art design & direction, all we have left to do is wait and see what the gameplay will turn out to be.

On a really late note, I remember reading a Nintendo Power from waaaaaaay back when they used to list future titles. They specifically had a listing for Donkey Kong Revolution/Wii. I'm wondering if this is that same project now, in which case, wow that's a long time. :lol

Doorman

Just to briefly mention an earlier question...

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
Where do people get these nostalgic feelings for Kid Icarus from? I tried playing it again a while ago to see if it was actually fun (I didn't remember it being fun when I was a kid), and it's still not fun. There is really nothing interesting about it.
I can't speak for everyone, but for my part I'd be interested to see a new Kid Icarus more as a matter of potential than any sort of sense of nostalgia or quality of the original. It would give Nintendo a setting to play around with and offer some new gameplay styles while still offering a small dose of familiarity to the old loyalists. Obviously a new KI would have to undergo some major rennovations, but it's that space that provides the excitement. It would be like getting a new IP from them gameplay-wise without it actually being a new IP. I'd be curious to see a new StarTropics for the same reason.

Retro is good, I'll grant them that, but so far all we really know about them is that they're good at making Metroid Prime games, and it's the only thing they've done. Seeing how this turns out will have a big impact on their legacy, methinks. Like I said before, if they manage to take Donkey Kong and fit him into a genre that Nintendo doesn't have already covered by other characters (like a real action-focused game), they could really strike gold on this.

TunaLover

My comment was misunderstood, I say Wii, the console is pretty healthy in the platformers genre, that's why I mentioned a new IP could more interesting in order to fill holes in the Wii overall library.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
People think DK hasn't aged well?
Next one I'll hear on this forum is that Ms Pacman doesn't cut it anymore I guess -_-

Boney

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
People think DK hasn't aged well?
Next one I'll hear on this forum is that Ms Pacman doesn't cut it anymore I guess -_-
That made me weep as well. The only problem could be that's it's way hard, but that's the point.

Top Bottom