• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 Legend of Zelda games

Regiruler

-The worst boss design of any 3D main zelda except maybe for the final one. but the fight was boring.
-The dungeons were very forgettable except for the desert.
-Fi managed to top Navi in terms of being annoying.
-No challenge as the hand holding was constant. So much that everytime you turn on the game they repeat the description of common items.
-the motion controls put a lot of people off more so than TP
-no memorable item
Are you sure you played Skyward Sword and not some Chinese game labelled Airward Knife?

Wazzy

Banned
Twilight Princess is such an ugly game. It doesn't even deserve to be top 10 with it's hideous artstyle and boring soundtrack. It's saving grace is the dungeons are incredibly fun.

Also Majora's Mask should at least be number two in any top 10 list.

Not

Banned
Are you sure you played Skyward Sword and not some Chinese game labelled Airward Knife?

I'm extra extra sure. Unless the Chinese version is the one with the unskippable text craaaaaaaaawl and the padding and the stupid depiction of Zelda and the controls that don't work.

Balb

Twilight Princess is such an ugly game. It doesn't even deserve to be top 10 with it's hideous artstyle and boring soundtrack. It's saving grace is the dungeons are incredibly fun.

Also Majora's Mask should at least be number two in any top 10 list.

My memory of Twilight Princess is that it's really ugly, but the HD version doesn't look bad.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
As long as you keep Phantom Hourglass, Triforce Heroes and Link's Crossbow Training off the list, pretty much any order you make is legit.

Got a 3DS last month and never played a Zelda game before. Decided to try out Ocarina of Time 3D, but the controls and gameplay felt too outdated for me for some reason. Idk, I thought I would like adventure games like Zelda, but it just doesn't work for me. Link between worlds has that top down look and seems more interesting to play. I never grew up playing Nintendo games or anything.

Pretty good list, actually. I'd knock Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask down a space or two, move Link's Awakening into the top three, and place The Wind Waker at #2 or #1 (but it's pretty much impossible to argue against A Link to the Past), but the fact that they placed TWW in the top three at all tells me they knew what they were doing with this list.

I'd also knock The Minish Cap off the list, move the Oracle games up a spot, and sneak Spirit Tracks in there, but eh, that's not a big deal.

EDIT: Looking at it again, Twilight Princess is too high on the list. Probably shouldn't even be on it at all, but if it has to be, it should be no higher than #10 or #9.

Koren

Got a 3DS last month and never played a Zelda game before. Decided to try out Ocarina of Time 3D, but the controls and gameplay felt too outdated for me for some reason.
Yes, I really found some battles annoying because of the controls/camera...

And I still think, like in the N64 days, that MM is head an shoulder above OoT.

Like I think that Awakening is above ALttP (for its world and characters if not for the quality of dungeons)

My personal top 3 would probably be Majora Mask, Link Awakening and Wind Waker, but ordering them is hard.

Randomizer

Whatever, Skyward Sword is much better than Minish Cap and the Oracle games. Also the HD version of Wind Waker did it no favours. The fast sail and shorter Triforce hunt really shone a light on how short and unfinished the game really is. Still the most beautiful game is the series though.

My list fwiw:

1. OoT
2. ALTTP
3. MM
4. LA
5. TP
6. SS
7. WW
8. LBW
9. LOZ
10. OOA

Pinky

Banned
Seeing ALttP at #1 makes my heart happy. :)

Seeing Zelda II completely absent from their list makes my heart sad. :(

.polybius

Neo Member
What- no SS? Except that, pretty decent list.
My top 3-10 switches around some, but here goes:

10. The Legend of Zelda
9. The Minish Cap
8. Link's Awakening
7. Twilight Princess
6. A Link to the Past
5. A Link Between Worlds
4. Ocarina of Time
3. The Wind Waker
2. Majora's Mask
1. Skyward Sword

Ironic list, especially considering IGN gave Skyward Sword a 10/10 at release. They're closer to their Godhand review roots than most people give them credit for.

Thud

Also, any Zelda list with Wind Waker in the top 5 is wrong. It's literally incomplete and an average Zelda game at best.

While that is correct, it depends on if you're okay with that.

Animations, combat and aesthetic narrative are a few of the things where Wind Waker excels in. Playing through the game again it's amazing what they've made from scratch in that time period.

It's definitely the most expressive zelda buried in a sea of fillers.

Minish Cap is not that great. Played on VC and was not impressed. Only Zelda game I couldn't finish.. Haven't played skyward sword or the GBC games.

Ninjimbo

Wind Waker is a great soundtrack. Sound design overall is just spectacular in that game with the way the chords are played every time you strike with the sword. Gives the game a great cinematic feel.
That would be my runner up with Spirit Tracks in third. Wind Waker has strong tracks all across the board with some catchy tunes. But Ocarina is something special.

Faddy

Banned
.....that's what Zelda should be?

Screw sidequests. More dungeons. I wish OOT had 12 dungeons. I wish Windwaker had 10 dungeons.

you know OoT has 12 dungeons. Deku, Dodongo, Jabu, Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit, Shadow, Ice Cavern, Bottom of the Well, Gerudo Training Grounds, Ganon's Tower.

For me there are 6 games that stand above the others

1. OoT
2. ALTTP
3. MM
4. LA
5. ALBW
6. LoZ

Leaves 4 spots.

7. Twilight Princess
8. Oracle of Ages
9. Zelda II
10. Wind Waker

Some people saying they didn't like the controls in OoT, like wut. It set the standard for everything that came after it. Not just in Zelda games, but almost ever 3rd person 3D game that came after it apes Ocarina of Time's control style. Everything from Dark Souls to Grand Theft Auto to Uncharted, if it's a 3rd person game, it can most likely be traced back to SM64 and OoT.

Malo. That's all I need to say. Even then, the rest of the characters are terrible. The artstyle of the characters is nightmare-inducing.

ooccoo_by_caralista.jpg

Machina

Banned
10. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons

9. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

6. The Legend of Zelda
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I kept going down the list expecting Skyward to show up and it didn't. I personally disagree with the list. I think Majora should be higher and Skyward should be on here. But I know us Zelda fans feel very strongly about our opinions. I included some excerpts about games you don't see on these lists as much, if you want to read 'em all the link is:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/top-10-legend-of-zelda-games

P.S. I think for these lists it should be required to play through the entire series. But I'm a Zelda snob so I might be being unfair with that idea. :)

Disgraceful.

I laughed so hard at this, I spilled my beer a a little bit. Well done!

What I've learned from this thread: it's probably impossible to get the Zelda fanbase to agree on the best Zelda game. Hell, it's almost impossible to get a consensus on the merits of ANY Zelda game.

As someone who had never played a Zelda game before until recently playing and absolutely LOVING A Link Between Worlds.

Would I get anything out of playing A Link to the Past? Since I really don't have any nostalgia.

Regiruler

I'm extra extra sure. Unless the Chinese version is the one with the unskippable text craaaaaaaaawl and the padding and the stupid depiction of Zelda and the controls that don't work.

The chinese one forgot to keep in the best combat and visual design in the entire series, so I can see how you made that mistake playing the knockoff.

Krowley

As someone who had never played a Zelda game before until recently playing and absolutely LOVING A Link Between Worlds.

Would I get anything out of playing A Link to the Past? Since I really don't have any nostalgia.

It is to the zelda franchise what Super Metroid is to the Metroid franchise.

Just a perfect game, and fully established the mechanics and game design that would dominate the rest of the series.

cuilan

Link's Awakening and Adventure of Link not in the top 3? The latter not being on the list at all? This is heart-breaking...

moolamb

This thread makes me realise Zelda fans are all crazy.

Or that everyone has wildly different experiences playing these games. A good thing I guess.

Not sure what rankings would be, but this list isn't too bad. No Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass, so they got that right. Link's Awakening is pretty high, so that's good. But Wind Waker being so high with those dungeons? REALLY? It has a lot of charm, but Majora's 3D is a better 3D game and almost every 2d game has a better overall experience.

Top Bottom