• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Where Are All the PS5 Games?

image.png

Slow news day?

Start the video by listing and praising all the games Sony has already released for PS5 this year. Then, mention that despite this, it's concerning not knowing what they will release in the second half of the year. Proceed by saying that they will have conferences where they could very well make announcements. Include your opinion that you still think there won't be games for the second half of 2024 and state that Microsoft is doing better in this regard.

Stay tuned for the clicks (and Tom Warren's tweets).

Xbox fanboys are the last ones to rag on a first party lineup 🙄
I'm happy with what Xbox has coming this year, and we already have some idea of next year as well (Gears, Doom).

PS5 1st party (actual 1st party) is pretty slow this year. Nintendo is also pretty slow. Xbox actually has the best line-up of 1st party content so far for 2024 with 3 games announced and a big DLC expansion. PS5 is coasting on big 2nd and 3rd party deals currently. Nintendo is putting out a lot of filler.

And it's not like Xbox has zero 3rd party deals. 33 Immortals, and Stalker 2 are both timed exclusives. No one calls these Xbox 1st party. Towerborne is also probably this year.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

People really do need the hype dopamine.

Never ever complain about games getting announced too early ever again, internet.

Hyping games years in advance is dumb. Nothing wrong with having some hype dopamine in May for what is coming in just a few months.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know it do be like this, but a bunch of great and substantive games came out this year so far. Stellar Blade, FF7 Rebirth, Dragon Dogma 2, Persona 3 Remake, LAD Infinite Wealth, etc. And this is in addition to all the games that came out last year. I know not everyone likes every game, but how many people have actually been through all these games? Can you just play what is out?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
My theory is Sony recalibrated their entire schedule lineup this gen for GTA and PS5 Pro to boost sales. Allow the once a decade franchise to sell consoles and introduce the competent upgrade that your competition doesn't have an answer for. This way first party games have maximum sales opportunity. I saw the other thread on Sony quarterly earnings and laugh at the suggestion that PS5 won't easily outsell PS4 when all the dust settles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My theory is Sony recalibrated their entire schedule lineup this gen for GTA and PS5 Pro to boost sales. Allow the once a decade franchise to sell consoles and introduce the competent upgrade that your competition doesn't have an answer for. This way first party games have maximum sales opportunity. I saw the other thread on Sony quarterly earnings and laugh at the suggestion that PS5 won't easily outsell PS4 when all the dust settles.

Not sure if Pro will have the sales boost that you think it will, PS4 Pro did not sell a noteworthy number of units either. The average consumer doesn't care about it like the enthusiast minority would.

Also, you really think they calibrated their entire first party portfolio around GTA? Really?

Also, you really think they calibrated their entire first party portfolio around GTA? Really?
If that's true then that means 2026 first party? Everyone's going to be running scared for 3 months surrounding GTA's release.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me. If they aren't revealing trailers yet, it's not likely a ton of this stuff is coming out anytime soon. I think we'll see Concord, Astrobot, Silent Hill, Fairgames, Death Stranding 2, maybe a bit more. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest after 2025, but who knows with Sony this gen.

My prediction for a while is that they'll have a blowout last 1-2 years for the system.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

christmas lights thumbs up GIF by TipsyElves.com

Although I don't really agree with the Xbox part. They're slow too, unfortunately.

Last edited:

adamsapple

lol.....why wouldn't they? If they are able to market GTA 6 alongside PS5 Pro then you can be damn sure that's what they are going to do.

They've already said that they're not expecting any big franchise titles in 2024 and if they're also extending it to GTA 6, we're looking at a roughly 2~ year period where they would not have first party portfolio want to release anything to capitalize just on GTA.

It sounds kinda absurd.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not sure if Pro will have the sales boost that you think it will, PS4 Pro did not sell a noteworthy number of units either. The average consumer doesn't care about it like the enthusiast minority would.

The one time Sony talked about PS4 Pro, they said it was 20% of units sold, and the fact that they never mentioned it again tells me it probably didn't even do that as time went on.

GTA6 is going to be the biggest entertainment product in history. It's going to sell 50 million units the first weekend. And PS5 is where most people will play it. So yea, they would do that, but that would also mean that it was due out for 2024 and got delayed. Would Sony keep holding games well into 2025? I don't know, Nintendo does it all the time.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

The PS4 Pro had competition from Xbox One X. Not the case this time around. Also, GTA VI

Yes. They'd be Xbox not to.

INafSPt.jpeg

Mr Moose

I'm happy with what Xbox has coming this year, and we already have some idea of next year as well (Gears, Doom).

PS5 1st party (actual 1st party) is pretty slow this year. Nintendo is also pretty slow. Xbox actually has the best line-up of 1st party content so far for 2024 with 3 games announced and a big DLC expansion. PS5 is coasting on big 2nd and 3rd party deals currently. Nintendo is putting out a lot of filler.

And it's not like Xbox has zero 3rd party deals. 33 Immortals, and Stalker 2 are both timed exclusives. No one calls these Xbox 1st party. Towerborne is also probably this year.
There's no such thing as 2nd party games.

ToadMan

With the Pro "coming", the performance leap will make every multiplat a system seller.

Let's not forget COD will come - probably to PS5/Pro before any other platform - and will offer 120FPS at 4k on Pro if recent reports are to be believed. Max graphics at 60/4k? It should be the best console to play on by a wide margin.

I'd like to see some Sony 1P stuff - especially Ghost - but assuming the Pro comes out, Sony can ride on the back of third party releases and mid-gen adopters to drive interest and sales.

It's a happy accident for Sony's competitors that Sony don't have a packed release calendar - it's already been a rough start to the year for them.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Most of the replies in this thread:

VePYcOz.jpeg

Nothing wrong with asking where the first party games are. The video even points out the console has has a solid 2024 so far thanks to games that aren’t first party.

That said, didn’t Sony confirm they don’t have any big games coming until 2025? Or maybe it was big games in existing IP’s? Something like that.

adamsapple

The PS4 Pro had competition from Xbox One X. Not the case this time around. Also, GTA VI

Last reported estimates had PS4 Pro at ~14m sold. PS4's total lifetime sales is roughly 118~ million, the Pro barely accounted for 11% of the total sales.

Again, I don't think a Pro console will have the sales boost you think it will. More people are likely to rush out and get a cheaper PS5 to play GTA VI on it than a PS5 Pro.

Bond007

Last i checked i was enjoying games like Helldivers, Final Fantasy, Stellar Blade, etc.
Just cause they arent the biggest names in the stable to come out of Sony- doesnt mean they havent done an outstanding job holding down the fort as exclusives.

They earned and bought some time. The Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blades are now top tier games when they come around the next time- in terms of hype.
I full expect a fury of games to be showcased by year's end for 2025. Its obvious.

Microsoft's exclusives will either underwhelm or be great and not move the needle as everyone waits for the games to get ported.

Topher

Gold Member
They've already said that they're not expecting any big franchise titles in 2024 and if they're also extending it to GTA 6, we're looking at a roughly 2~ year period where they would not have first party portfolio want to release anything to capitalize just on GTA.

It sounds kinda absurd.

Sony was talking about first party games. I'm not following the rest of your post at all. Sony would set aside only the quarter that GTA 6 released. Nothing more than that.

Kupfer

I mean I have my PS5 since day 1 and just two weeks ago, I got my first PS5 exclusive game - Stellar Blade.
Impossible with last gens.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
LOL:
Helldivers 2
FF7 Rebirth
Stellar Blade

“Where’s the games!?”

Slow news week, bad “journalism”, and a mountain of Down syndrome. That’s the formula to working at IGN.

Sony always has one game for the fall. Expect one more banger minimum.

Top Bottom