• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Why Master Chief is one of the most iconic characters in video game history

Link: http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/10/2...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Seems to be a new IGN video series called "IGN Icons".

22 OCT 2015 - Master Chief is one of the most recognizable and beloved characters in video game history. Find out why...
Hey! Thanks for watching everyone! IGN Icons is a new series, where we'll be recognizing all of the most important and influential video game characters. With Halo 5 right around the corner, we just decided to start with Chief.

It's intended to be a celebration of those special characters that are synonymous with quality, possess an unusual depth of character, and manage to transcend the video game medium. If you watch closely, you might get a little peek at some of the other video game Icons we'll be talking about in future episodes.

As much as I'm looking forward to Halo 5, I really don't think Master Chief is an interesting character. But that's just me I guess.

Jobbs

Banned
Couldn't disagree more.. Generic dude with a helmet and guns. Part of the reason the whole franchise is kinda boring to me.

The color scheme is weird enough to be unique while not being too weird to be unappealing. Probably could be more popular if you'd see him more, but for a first person game he's surprisingly popular.

I would imagine if 343 Industries continue to run the franchise that would change. In fact I would say the appeal of Halo has a whole has dropped dramatically in the last five years.

I've played Halo 1 and 2 and I can't even remember that he can speak. I thought he was a silent protagonist. Probably one of the most generic characters ever.

I would imagine if 343 Industries continue to run the franchise that would change. In fact I would say the appeal of Halo has a whole has dropped dramatically in the last five years.

Sonic is still a huge icon.This leads me to believe that a franchise character can survive near infinite bad games and still be iconic.

What

The Master Chief talks a lot. He's never been close to a silent protagonist.

Sure... but in the games at least there isn't much depth to what he says. He's very one note and intentionally designed that way so the player can protect themselves onto him.

Zalman

I'm not really a big Halo guy, but I think I would call Master Chief the most iconic non-Nintendo character in video games.

Edit: Actually, I would put Pac-Man, Sonic and Ryu above him, but my mind just associated them with Nintendo due to Smash, lol.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is it because he has a simple but distinctive design and is a former member of the "biggest franchises ever" club?

Toxi

Banned
Sure... but in the games at least there isn't much depth to what he says. He's very one note and intentionally designed that way so the player can protect themselves onto him.
He does have some character, but that barely matters when the real reason he's iconic is that he's basically Xbox's more talkative Mario.

Aeqvitas

Even if you hate Halo and Master Chief, it is pretty apparent that he is one of the few gaming icons to have a presence in popular culture. He is recognizable, up there with Mario. Tons of people who don't play games at least recognize him.

Top Bottom