• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Mario Strikers Review

Macam

Banned
Didn't see it posted....so here we go:

Full Review

Closing Comments
Super Mario Strikers is the quintessential arcade sports game. It's short on options, lacks depth, but when you jump in and play it, you're bound to have a really good time. It delivers both intuitively learned and mastered control mechanics and that rare multiplayer experience that is incredibly hard to put down. So if you're planning to buy this one purely for its multiplayer offering, you can add a full point to our review score. However, the title is still far from perfect. Its single-player offering lacks features and is also void of the satisfying trash talking that distracts from the ho-hum graphics presentation.

6.5 Presentation
Slick menus and some funny in-game animation. Decent selection of Nintendo mascots, but there could and should be more.
6.0 Graphics
Runs in progressive scan and 16x9 widescreen moed. Humorous animation. Impressie particle effects. But textures are muddy and the framerate stutters.
6.0 Sound
Fitting crowd chanting noises and over-the-top mascot grunts and cries. Nothing too special, though. Runs in Pro Logic II.
8.0 Gameplay
Really fun multiplayer game. Tight control. Brutal check moves. Entertaining whether you're on offense or defense. Single-player experience is less rewarding as it lacks smack talking.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The single-player mode isn't much to speak of, but the multiplayer mode will keep you entertained and busy for months to come.

Good OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Silkworm

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about the review. Yet another game that's so-so single player, but a lot of fun mutliplayer. If only there was an online service for the Gamecube to make the mutliplayer aspect worth it for me... Bah. :p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's like sex.

It's boring alone - much better with partners!

Mario Strikers is a full-load.

Mario's got some great game here.

Despite the mediocre reviews I still will pick this up. The concept seems solid, plus I play and love soccer, and Mario is one of my favorite gaming franchises. It's too bad this isn't faring as well as I once believed it would.

Macam

Banned
Unresponsive Bee Victim said:
Despite the mediocre reviews I still will pick this up. The concept seems solid, plus I play and love soccer, and Mario is one of my favorite gaming franchises. It's too bad this isn't faring as well as I once believed it would.

I largely fall into this boat, but I'm reconsidering grabbing it right away short of some absurd Fry's sale, like when they had Mario Baseball for $35. The Mario sports games are fun and Sega Soccer Slam was grand, but with a lacking single-player mode and the absurd amount of quality DS games around and falling PS2 prices on older titles, I may hold out on this one for the time being.

I can't help but think this game was a bit rushed. From what I heard there are no mini-games in here, and the only option is just a tournament mode. Even Mario Baseball had a Home Run Derby (among others).

I largely fall into this boat, but I'm reconsidering grabbing it right away short of some absurd Fry's sale, like when they had Mario Baseball for $35. The Mario sports games are fun and Sega Soccer Slam was grand, but with a lacking single-player mode and the absurd amount of quality DS games around and falling PS2 prices on older titles, I may hold out on this one for the time being.

I loved both of the games you mentioned, I have invested solid ammounts of time into both. Soccer Slam was a blast with friends, and I could've played it by myself, but hordes of people came over just to play it. Mario Basebell I played alot by myself, I beat it with almost every team. It did lack depth, but customizing lineups with my favorite Nintendo characters and the fact I like sports kept me interested.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So if you're planning to buy this one purely for its multiplayer offering, you can add a full point to our review score.

Can that be applied to every game with multi-player then?

TheTurtleTitan said:
I can't help but think this game was a bit rushed. From what I heard there are no mini-games in here, and the only option is just a tournament mode. Even Mario Baseball had a Home Run Derby (among others).

I think you're right. It didn't have a realease date for ages and then when Zelda was delayed this was rushed to fill the gap.

Lindsay said:
Can that be applied to every game with multi-player then?
Any Mario game these days, just about. Mario Kart, Party, Tennis, Baseball, Smash Bros., multi-player action is Nintendo's forte. It's a mystery why they're just now jumping on the online bandwagon. Better late than never I guess...

Top Bottom