• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 Comic Book Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Garbageman said:
Raphael at 23

Number 25

I'm happy Yorick Brown made the list at all. Y:The Last Man is amazing.

Yorick Brown is easily the most likable comic character created in the last decade. It's hard to believe just how perfectly Y: The Last Man ended with issue 60 given what it had to live up to.

Htown said:
the fuck did you just say?
6JTAy.png

You don't like Nova?

Also, Barry Allen, Booster and Green Arrow should all be in top 10, Booster especially.

Shocked that Deadpool isn't in top 10 also, not because I like, but because its deadpool

Verendus

Banned
I don't read comic books so I don't recognise the majority of these heroes. I do recognise the ones I've seen in cartoons like Batman, X-Men, Justice League etc. We all know Batman is going to be number one, as he should be. He'd rip Superman and Spiderman's lips off and kiss his ass with them. That's right, I said it. I said it! What? What? Whatchu gon' do?!

Monocle

Because there's a reliable objective method that allows one to determine Gambit should occupy #65 while Kitty Pryde should be ranked #47.

Don't argue with science.

Zekes!

Monocle said:
Because there's a reliable objective method that allows one to determine Gambit should occupy #65 while the Kitty Pryde should be ranked #47.

I'd fornicate with Kitty Pride if she was real :[

Slayven

Monocle said:
Because there's a reliable objective method that allows one to determine Gambit should occupy #65 while the Kitty Pryde should be ranked #47.

Gambit shouldn't be on the list at all.

Raxus

Nice to see Walking Dead on the list. I was hoping Emp and Invincible would make the list but that seems unlikely now that we hit the a listers. Batman, Iron-man, Spiderman, Superman, Thor, Captain America, The Thing, The Hulk, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman I think still haven't made the list.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Likely be
1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man

Which I can't argue with really even thought I find Spider-Man to be the worst mainstream superhero of all time.

NEO0MJ

Mangoverboard said:
Also, Barry Allen, Booster and Green Arrow should all be in top 10, Booster especially.

Shocked that Deadpool isn't in top 10 also, not because I like, but because its deadpool

I agree that Booster should be higher. And while it's surprising that Deadpool isn't in the top 10, I glad he isn't.

tralfazz

Raxus said:
Nice to see Walking Dead on the list. I was hoping Emp and Invincible would make the list but that seems unlikely now that we hit the a listers. Batman, Iron-man, Spiderman, Superman, Thor, Captain America, The Thing, The Hulk, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman I think still haven't made the list.

Sub in Wolverine for The Thing and there is your top 10 I would venture.

siddx said:
Likely be
1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man

Which I can't argue with really even thought I find Spider-Man to be the worst mainstream superhero of all time.

If this was my forum I'd ban you where you stand!

j/k... maybe.

What Spider-Man books have you read and from what years, may I ask?

Raxus said:

Invincible is definitely going to be in the top 20
I hope

All 100 have been updated in the OP.

Too much Batman and friends (especially in the Top 20, Jim AND Barbara Gordon, really?) not enough Power Girl and Invincible.

My two cents.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Slayven said:
Gambit shouldn't be on the list at all.

there are a bunch of characters that shouldnt be on this list, but were used as filler or due to popular culture(rorschach? what?)

NEO0MJ

Parallax said:
there are a bunch of characters that shouldnt be on this list, but were used as filler or due to popular culture(rorschach? what?)

Really hate Jean's location. Way, waaay above where she should be.

Parallax

NEO0MJ said:
Really hate Jean's location. Way, waaay above where she should be.

agreed. i dont see how someone who hasnt been relevant in comics in 10 years breaks the top 20. i like her more than emma frost, come on. and nova is criminally low. after annihilation and the recent thanos arc, barely breaking the list is bullshit

bengraven

Groo, Usagi, Cerebus, and Marv are lower on the list than Aquaman, Ant-man, Blade, Gambit, and fucking Raphael.

Oooooh what a world what a world...who thought a shitty little website like IGN could destroy me...

Slayven

bengraven said:
Groo, Usagi, Cerebus, and Marv are lower on the list than Aquaman, Ant-man, Blade, Gambit, and fucking Raphael.

Oooooh what a world what a world...who thought a shitty little website like IGN could destroy me...
Pym has been solid the last few years with Mighty Avengers and now Avengers academy. Unless they mean Scott Lang.

bengraven

Slayven said:
Pym has been solid the last few years with Mighty Avengers and now Avengers academy. Unless they mean Scott Lang.

Haven't read in years, but I'll give Ant-man a slide I suppose. But somehow I doubt Gambit has been able to keep steady sales and critical acclaim on his own series.

and this is coming from a Gambit fan.

Raguel

I find it awesome and a little embarrassing that I know every hero on the list. And I'm not surprised that Superman is number one. He is after all, the most recognizable hero. He's the new myth of the modern world. But Cap should be higher on the list.

Parallax

Slayven said:

heh. yeah right. they might as well put jack of hearts up there if lang was.

but as ridiculous as this list is, im suprised neither of them made the list

The top 10 isn't too bad. Though I would get ride of Daredevil and put Dick Grayson up there, make it Barry Allen and not Wally, and Replace Hal with Kyle (fuck you Kyle is the better GL).

Man, I don't know what it is about Wonder Woman, but I really love her as a character. This is saying alot because the only other female character in DC I liked was/is Cassandra Cain, oh and Selena...esepcially Adam Hugh's Selena.

Batman & Superman's position should be reversed.

Takao

Banned
So Goku is a super villain or something?

You can't even get away with that bullshit "LOL Manga" comment when your opener says this:

The world is full of superheroes. Since the 1930s, comic fans across the globe have read in awe as we’ve watched these men and women clad in tights battle the evil that we couldn’t. From the Nazis to alien races, superheroes have protected the Earth and countless other universes from ultimate destruction time and time again.

But who are the best and brightest of these heroes? Much as we did with last year’s Top 100 Comic Book Villains, IGN has pulled together a comprehensive list of the greatest heroes to ever grace the pages of the funny books. Some heroes are flawed, some are ruthless, and some are naively optimistic, but every single character that appears on this list have certainly earned their keep. Picked by their cultural impact, character development, social relevance, general cool factor, and importance of storylines, these are the best of the best.

I'm sure the people of Japan really emphasized with Captain America... and apparently Dragon Ball wasn't influential, relevant, or important to the culture of Japan, and Japanese comics if not the world at large.

Now that I've got my nerd rage out of the way, I've got to smh at the lack of Cybersix. To Canadians, and some Argentinians the character is the epitome of cool, and heck she even defeated Neo-Nazis!

Absolute shit list. Green lantern is the lamest motherfucker in the entire DC universe.

*Has near unlimited power in his hands*
*materializes a chair to fight aliens with*

gtfo green bitch

/rage

Spidey should be 1.

perfectnight said:
Absolute shit list. Green lantern is the lamest motherfucker in the entire DC universe.

*Has near unlimited power in his hands*
*materializes a chair to fight aliens with*

gtfo green bitch

/rage

Spidey should be 1.

So incorrect.

Super heroes better than Spidey: Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Invincible, Cyclops, and BARRY "THE MOTHERFUCKING GREATEST FLASH" ALLEN

Pau

That's cool that they put Catwoman on the heroes list. Otherwise, those are a lot of white males in the top ten. Oh mainstream comics.

Loxley

I'm assuming those whining about who should be #1 didn't read the little blurb at the top of the article where they (admittedly briefly) explain how they went about ranking them:

But who are the best and brightest of these heroes? Much as we did with last year’s Top 100 Comic Book Villains, IGN has pulled together a comprehensive list of the greatest heroes to ever grace the pages of the funny books. Some heroes are flawed, some are ruthless, and some are naively optimistic, but every single character that appears on this list have certainly earned their keep. Picked by their cultural impact, character development, social relevance, general cool factor, and importance of storylines, these are the best of the best.

With that in mind I have no idea how Superman couldn't be #1. He's easily the most recognizable pop culture character in the world outside of maybe Mickey Mouse. Granted DC has done some weird shit with the character over the last decade, but when they got Superman right (such as in Birthright or All Star Superman) they really got it right.

Were it not for Superman essentially being the character that birthed the entire genre, Batman would definitely be #1, due mostly to Superman's "cool factor" lacking compared to Batman's right now. Either way, both characters have been popular for fucking 70 years, to me it's pretty much impossible to argue that any other characters out there beat these two.

That said, Invincible is definitely higher on my list :)

Parallax

Loxley said:
I'm assuming those whining about who should be #1 didn't read the little blurb at the top of the article where they (admittedly briefly) explain how they went about ranking them:

With that in mind I have no idea how Superman couldn't be #1. He's easily the most recognizable pop culture character in the world outside of maybe Mickey Mouse. Granted DC has done some weird shit with the character over the last decade, but when they got superman right (such as in Birthright or All Star Superman) they really get it right.

Were it not for Superman essentially being the character that birthed the entire genre, Batman would definitely be #1. Either way, both characters have been popular for fucking 70 years, to me it's pretty much impossible to argue that any other characters out there beat these two.

That said, Invincible is definitely higher on my list :)

most recognized worldwide? is there a statistic proving that? im pretty sure that spider man as well as batman are just as popular internationally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom