• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a gullible idiot who got scammed out of a $1000. Learn from this.

edbrat

Good on you for sharing OP and don't feel dumb it can happen to anyone...yes even you dear reader you aren't so smart and keeping stuff like this in mind is how you lower the chances of being scammed yourself. Use 2FA when available, good pw hygiene and a healthy dose of skepticism and you should be golden.

Iorv3th

I get scam calls a lot from Indian guys that claim they are from hawaii or something. "US Tech Support we are getting a message that your computer is infected" oh really, which computer my dell or my apple? (I own neither).

NahaNago

oh no, the gift card ruse! not good. sorry to hear OP. its all good it happens to everyone. u gotta watch out for hustlers.

i've been scammed a few times. once i was looking for a job, tried to apply for the US post office, ended up "ordering application documents" and paying someone like $80 for a package that never arrived and a job that likely didn't exist. i was young and desperate. also been scammed working as a cashier a few times. there was this one trick someone pulled, they would buy something really cheap, pay with a big bill, then while i'm giving them change, start swapping bills, and asking for different denominations, totally playing me. he was very good, he had this routine worked out, and was excellent at social engineering. someone like that can probably walk around pocketing thousands of dollars a day just using their wits. that's kind of impressive.

after he left, i realized the dude somehow got me to give him $100, i cursed, went to the ATM, took out that much out of my bank account, and put it back in to cover the loss. felt like an idiot. sometimes you gotta mess up to learn what to look out for. keep your wits about, lot of scammers and con artists around...

That bill change happened to me for $40 my first year of cashiering. I also had a phone scam happen to my assistant night manager and had to stop him from giving out several more gift cards.

Top Bottom