• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm about to borrow a Sega CD for 2 months from a friend with a near complete library

I recommend:

Dark Wizard
Road Avenger
Popful Mail
Shining Force CD

Add Lunar and this is a decent list.

My list is:
Shining force
Lunar 1 & 2
Dark wizard
Vay (very under appreciated IMO)
Dune

The Sega CD was surprisingly good for RPGs.

Lunar in SCD is my preferred version of the game by far.

Lunar 1. It's different enough from the playstation version that I think it's worth some time.

I did like Sewer Shark, but it's a pretty bad game and probably is a waste of your time as you said.

edit: Oh yeah, Double Switch is entertaining as a shitty novelty. RIP Mr. Haim.

Road Rash Sega CD has the best soundtrack of any Road Rash. It is the only version of the game where the licensed music plays during races.

Other recommendations (if you have them)

Popful Mail
Final Fight CD
Snatcher
Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
Shining Force CD
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star Story
Panic!
Silpheed
Soul Star
Robo Aleste
The Terminator
Mickey Mania
Keio: Flying Squadron

Bump! This is what I'm getting:

Corpse Killer
Double Switch
Ecco the Dolphin
Hook
Jurassic Park
Night Trap
Panic
Popful Mail
Sewer Shark
Shining Force
Silpheed
Snatcher
Sonic CD
SoulStar
Time Gal

He forgot Lunar 2 (which is ok since I've played it on PS1). It's going to be a CD wallet, so that's why I'm getting more than I initially expected. Should be here in a week.

Expect some LTTP nonsense for the next few months (and, hopefully I can get through all of them).

Corpse Killer
Double Switch
Ecco the Dolphin
Hook
Jurassic Park
Night Trap
Panic
Popful Mail
Sewer Shark
Shining Force
Silpheed
Snatcher
Sonic CD
SoulStar
Time Gal

He forgot Lunar 2 (which is ok since I've played it on PS1). It's going to be a CD wallet, so that's why I'm getting more than I initially expected. Should be here in a week.

Expect some LTTP nonsense for the next few months (and, hopefully I can get through all of them).

Fun list, though it's a shame you didn't get Lunar 2 since it's quite interesting to see how it differs from the PS1 version (Lunar 1 differs even more but it's mostly for the worse). It's also one of the most impressive games on the system since the anime cutscenes are done entirely in-engine which is why they're so much smoother & clearer than other game cutscenes on the Sega CD.

cj_iwakura

Corpse Killer
Double Switch
Ecco the Dolphin
Hook
Jurassic Park
Night Trap
Panic
Popful Mail
Sewer Shark
Shining Force
Silpheed
Snatcher
Sonic CD
SoulStar
Time Gal

Night Trap, Popful Mail, Silpheed, Time Gal, Snatcher, Double Switch, Corpse Killer, Panic, Sewer Shark, and Sonic CD are all worth playing, not necessarily in that order.

Well, as long as you start with Night Trap. Shame that there's no Lunar. The SCD versions are still the best.

Vorg

Banned
Man you didn't get batman returns? The game has some amazing sprite scaling driving levels and one of the best soundtracks ever.

Snatcher is amazing, and it's aged really really well... It's easy to play and enjoy even to this day...

Rise of the Dragon and Eternal Champions CD were my next 2 favorite Sega CD games...

I did want to add that Sega CD came out before any major type of CD encryption was implemented .. So the Sega CD doesn't have encryption when reading the game from a CD... If you know what I mean..

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Lunar: The Silver Star

At least put it in a CD player and experience one amazing soundtrack. It's far better than the PSX remake's soundtrack IMO. Also has a wonderfully cheesy music video intro.

lazygecko

Don't forget Woody. WWWWIIIIIILD Woody!

On a more serious note, I think it's neat how Core had a pretty serious commitment to the system. They've got several decent games on the CD worth checking out. They werre pretty varied before their success turned them into a pure Tomb Raider factory.

Wilsongt

Corpse Killer
Double Switch
Ecco the Dolphin
Hook
Jurassic Park
Night Trap
Panic
Popful Mail
Sewer Shark
Shining Force
Silpheed
Snatcher
Sonic CD
SoulStar
Time Gal

Shining Force CD first.

daevv

I have not seen Dungeons and Dragons Eye of the Beholder mentioned. Game is worth it for the soundtrack alone! Many a school night I'd turn on the game after my parents were asleep and play with headphones on. :)

Shining Force CD first.

Actually, you bring up a good point on prioritizing this now. I'm going to finish Snatcher first. And then I'm thinking of plowing through the FMV games. But I thought maybe I should space those out so I don't tire on them too quickly. I don't know.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
-Snatcher
-Final Fight CD
-Popful Mail
-Lunar: Silver Star Story
-Lunar: Eternal Blue
-Shining Force CD

First one is a classic. Second one is my all time favorite beat em up. The rest were good from what I played but sadly, I never had the time to go through them.

cj_iwakura

Actually, you bring up a good point on prioritizing this now. I'm going to finish Snatcher first. And then I'm thinking of plowing through the FMV games. But I thought maybe I should space those out so I don't tire on them too quickly. I don't know.

You can finish Night Trap in less than an hour, same with Double Switch. Corpse Killer a little longer.

lazygecko

As the onetime owner of a Sega CD, what is this game anyhow?

It's an isometric strategy game. They really screwed up the western cover art though. I couldn't imagine why they would want to alter this masterpiece

t22034front1gqu1.jpg

Got the package this evening. I got everything set up and started playing Corpse Killer.... it's not an FMV like I thought but much more of a shooter like Lethal Enforcers.

Should I just make a LLTP thread for the Sega CD in general?

Top Bottom